· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Default What I got for $150.00

0 Not allowed!
    Gotta love craigslist!

120 gallon all glass tank (this thing is a piece of crap, the accessories should balance that out tho!)

The guy tells me that there was a crack in the tank that he patched by securing another piece of glass over the crack. He said the tank had been up and running for a year with no problems, no leaks. Clearly this still is a red flag but he has so much other stuff to go with it that I get the tank anyway, not looking at the bottom first. Here's his patch job:

I underestimated two things. One, how gol-dern heavy this beast is, and two, how bad a shape it was really in. Here's what the corner of the tank did while moving it into my garage: WARNING kind of graphic

My wife and I then go to start filling it up and immediately we hear loud cracking sounds, like this thing is about to cave in at any second... shut the water off! Welp, won't be using the tank... Was it worth it? Here's what else I got (multiple posts coming...)

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Two of these sump filters (he said each was rated for 100 gallons)

Here's the plumbing for them:

Light

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Siphons, hoses, hose connectors... will have to learn how to use these

Bottles and magnetic algae scrubber

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    two 150w heaters

Don't know what this is... undergavel filter maybe?

Don't know what this is, some kind of light...

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    and.... Fish! Pleco and oscar

0 Not allowed!
    I don't think it was a bad deal:

Not sure about what the filters are but this would be my break down of value:
    Filters: $40-$50 ea
    Light: $50 if it works
    Water Changer: $20
    Heaters: $10/ea
    Powerhead: $10
    Test Kit: $10 (based on half full)
    Light?: $0?? no idea

Problem I see is re-homing the oscar and pleco now that the tank is no good... :( But overall I think you did well. Sell it separately on ebay and you'd make a decent profit (my way of judging if I get a deal on something)

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    If feels like I still got a good deal. From what I understand those filters are worth it alone. I'm going to try to keep the pleco (I'll clear out some decor in my 45 gallon tank and put him in there for the time being and hopefully get another 120 gallon tank in a week or two) and likely just give the oscar to an LFS. The guy also said he would take the oscar back if it didn't work out so that's an option to.

Does anyone know what the black thing that I guessed was an under gravel filter, or that weird plastic light is? Maybe it's a moon light? I suppose I could just plug it in and see...

0 Not allowed!
    Yea, the "under gravel filter" is a power head, just moves water around, and can be connected to a UGF.

But no idea what the light is...

Any brand name on the filters?

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    The black thing is a powerhead. Funny looking things, they are. If it was attached to clear rigid tubing and that tubing was attached to something that looks like a plastic grate, then it would be part of a UGF. However, since yours looks like it's alone, the previous owner probably used it to create a current in the tank or to diffuse CO2(unlikely, that would take a setup too).

It is probably something you can do without, unless you're running something like a riverbed tank with fish who love current.

IDK on the light. Plug it in and see!

ETA: Hardy beat me to it!!
    Beth
    1 - 55 gallon planted community
    3 - 10 to 20 gallon planted betta tanks
    My advice: slow down, think, and be willing to learn. Then you'll be fine, no matter what.

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Powerhead is what it is, ok cool. There was some rigid tubing in the tank that I didn't know what it was hooked up to. I didn't see anything like a grate, but I haven't gone digging around in the substrate. It smells pretty bad so I've not had the gumption to go diving in quite yet. I'm planning on going with a thicker grain of sand in this tank, I imagine an undergravel filter will not work with sand?

I'll have to look at the brand of the filter when I get home. Then I'll hook up that light and see what it does! I'm guessing it's like a moonlight.
    Last edited by j250nyahweh; 03-13-2013 at 07:31 PM.