· Pond Fish
· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Default Getting rid of snail hitch hikers!

0 Not allowed!
    I want my next aquarium to be planted. I really don't like snails at all. I find them to be gross. Is there a sure way to ensure that snail eggs are not on the plants prior to placing them in the tank? I won't start my tank until May 2014 but I'm doing all of my research now. Thank you in advance.

0 Not allowed!
    I forgot the exact concentrations for each, but soaks in alum, potassium permanganate, bleach and salt can all be used against snails on new plants. After that you could also quarantine plants just to make sure no snails or eggs survived the treatment. If, despite efforts some snails make it into your tank, it isn't the end of the world. I always keep some ramshorns in all my tanks because if they weren't there, I tend to start overfeeding and become lazy with water changes. They are excellent government watchdogs.

0 Not allowed!
    After having pest snails infest my tanks more than once, it took a long time to get rid of them. Even went as far as to completely empty a tank to be rid of them. I usually get new plants every month or two, I treat every plant the same. Pick out any visible hitchhikers, and then dump the plants into a 5g bucket with water and potassium permanganate. The permanganate will deal with any snail eggs or other stuff on the plants. Then rinse the plants off with clean water. It's a good idea to wear old clothes, since the permanganate tends to dye stuff purple:p

I don't like to use a water with bleach mix. Some plants do tolerate it but you have to really be careful how long you leave plants in with the bleach. Some plants do not handle even a short time with bleach that will.

Can always buy a few assassin snails (anentome helana) and put them in the tank as well. These snails feed off of other snails. Their numbers don't get out of control.

0 Not allowed!
    Assassin snails :), currently working on riding my 10 gallon shrimp tank of pond snail infestation... I love these guys, they look good, breed slow, and slowly eat all the bad snails... great addition. Plus if you do end up with too many of them, so many people are looking for them you are just about guaranteed to be able to sell them

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for the replys. I know of the assasin nails, but don't think I can deal with them either. Will def do the potassium soak.

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries
    Merry Christmas! - Lab_Rat thank you for the birthday wishes - mommy1 Happy One Year AC Anniversary! - Rue For being understanding, thank you - Cliff (closest I could find to a catfish) Thanks for the nomination! - sheamurai 
    Thank you for the MOTM nomination - mommy1 I think you deserve a random gift. Yes, I think you do. - PhillipOrigami For being a fellow MA native! - Lolita Happy Birthday to you. - jeffs99dime Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    It's a Christmas Bunny, Merry Christmas. - gadget228 I've not seen anyone with an umbrella here. You seem to have an odd collection of gifts...so here's my contribution. :-) - ~firefly~ "genocidex;1139790]stupid question... but would i be able to use lawn clovers in a tank?  lol"  REALLY - Strider199 crayfish! - Brhino thanks for sharing - sheamurai 
    For filling out my school! :) - Flyby Stardancer silly rabbit... - sheamurai They say one of these a day keeps doctors away.... - Trillianne Day Two... - Trillianne Thanks for the frogbit very much :) - Greentoads41 
    World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - genocidex 

0 Not allowed!
    even if you get snails it isnt the end of the world like madagascar said. they are a great way of warning you about over feeding, or algae growth, or general cleanliness of the tank. i have them in my 55g, and i never see a dang one until i start over feeding my gourami or let dead leaves sit too long on my bottom. when i see 1 i look around the tank and do a surface vacing for good measure. but then again, having a gouarmi, and predators in the tank might be why i dont see any...
    KING OF THE GOLD BARBS RAWR!!!!
    I wonder if i plant one of my tiger barbs would the demon seed grow to a full tree?
    gotta love them bunnies!
    I.R.S.: We've got what it takes to take what you've got!