· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Fish sick or am I over reacting

0 Not allowed!
    I just recently lost all 4 of my apistos to what I think was an internal parasite they picked up at the LFS. 1st one died, then 2nd and 3rd starting acting weird so they were put in hospital tank and treated with Tetra Parasite Guard, both died within a week. Then 4th one just suddenly died yesterday.

The only ones I noticed any signs on were the 2nd and 3rd ones. They would stop eating and isolate themselves. The one, right as it was dying finally expelled a large white poop with a little chunk in it
    ( ----o---- )

Well now my dwarf gourami is swimming and acting fine, but has had long (2+") white very thin stringy poop. He has been eating fine, and not showing any signs of anything wrong, neither is anyone else.

My big concern is that I plan to add 5 German Blue rams to this tank later this week. I know they are healthy as they have been in there own tank at a person I know's house for a few months.

I don't want to take them if there is risk that I have a serious problem, but I also don't want to invest in all sorts of expensive meds, I also need to be careful since I have RCS in the tank.

I have heard of garlic as a possible treatment. I have diced garlic at home, would this be something that could help?

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    To my knowledge, Stringy White poop is linked to parasites, constipation, or a bacterial infection. I'm new to owning tanks but my aunt who gave me the tank I have now has had tanks all my life, so I have seen it here and there.

0 Not allowed!
    IMO it either looked like a parasite, or constipation, but considering the DG doesn't seem to have a problem passing it I feel like its not just constipation

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    you might want to look into Prazi Pro and or Metro +
    Have you ever wormed your fish? As a matter of course, I worm all new fish with prazi pro and metro +. Something to think about.
    Hope all goes well.
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, nerites & mystery snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: Blood Parrots, severum, Jurupari, EBJD, congos, kribs, clown pleco, snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

0 Not allowed!
    Never have wormed before, until about 2 weeks ago I didn't really know worms in wish was a problem...

Tried to worm the two apistos and both died. I haven't been able to find a place to buy either of those meds, at least at a responsible price that is..

Awards Showcase

Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 Thanks for the help and advice - Slaphppy7 My turn to buy - fishmommie It's EOTW Beer Time! - KevinVA Nobody likes to drinl alone :) - steeler58 
    Back at you,  good sir! - Compass Here's to Lee's 5000 and Guava Flavored Whiskey! - Taurus Why drink alone, when a Sandz is nearby? - KevinVA Sorry to hear of your loss, it always sucks to lose fish. - mommy1 Wish it was a real one, sorry for your loses :( - steeler58 
    So sorry about your fish! - SeaLady Here is pie. - mommy1 for the one you lost :o( - fishmommie No Message - Fishhook Bottoms up! - Slaphppy7 
    Thanks, this one is on me - mommy1 Here's to 4,000 posts :) - steeler58 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 TGIF and here's to good whiskey :-) - Taurus Thanks for the rep :) - rebecca_finny 

0 Not allowed!
    Sounds like a parasite/worm to me too.. metro+ and/or prazipro to the rescue.
    FW: 1 45gal, 1 40gal, 3 10gal, 3 30gal all community tanks of different species
    Sw: 1 55gal, 1 30gal show, 1 29gal show, 1 20gal and 2 10's

0 Not allowed!
    which would you recommend? Metro + seems to say it treats external stuff, vs the prazi pro says it covers tape worms etc.

Would 4 oz be enough to treat my 55? And is it ok with the shrimp

0 Not allowed!
    Found a local place that has prazi pro, guy said that or general cure would work.

What would you all recommend, I gotta know by 5 since thats when I pass this place leaving work

Awards Showcase

Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 Thanks for the help and advice - Slaphppy7 My turn to buy - fishmommie It's EOTW Beer Time! - KevinVA Nobody likes to drinl alone :) - steeler58 
    Back at you,  good sir! - Compass Here's to Lee's 5000 and Guava Flavored Whiskey! - Taurus Why drink alone, when a Sandz is nearby? - KevinVA Sorry to hear of your loss, it always sucks to lose fish. - mommy1 Wish it was a real one, sorry for your loses :( - steeler58 
    So sorry about your fish! - SeaLady Here is pie. - mommy1 for the one you lost :o( - fishmommie No Message - Fishhook Bottoms up! - Slaphppy7 
    Thanks, this one is on me - mommy1 Here's to 4,000 posts :) - steeler58 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 TGIF and here's to good whiskey :-) - Taurus Thanks for the rep :) - rebecca_finny 

0 Not allowed!
    I have not had issues with prazipro affecting my shrimp. This is just personal use/experience. Prazipro is also what I would use personally because I have used it in the past to treat other issues.
    FW: 1 45gal, 1 40gal, 3 10gal, 3 30gal all community tanks of different species
    Sw: 1 55gal, 1 30gal show, 1 29gal show, 1 20gal and 2 10's

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    what I generally do is one full dose of prazi pro based on the tank size and a 1/2 dose of metro + (which is also an antibiotic so it could possibly treat if any of them are ill because of parasites.)
    Good luck!!
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, nerites & mystery snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: Blood Parrots, severum, Jurupari, EBJD, congos, kribs, clown pleco, snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492