· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Angelfish pairing off.. Help

0 Not allowed!
    I have a 30 gallon community tank in which i have 3 angelfish, 3 dwarf groumies, 8 corys, and 3 bolivian rams. Yes i know bad stocking. I didn't stock the tank my brother did. I recently inherited the tank and after doing a massive water change to move the tank it seems that a three yr old zebra angel and a 8 month old golden angel have paired off. They started lip locking today and have now claimed part of the tank. I have a empty 10 gallon and an empty 30 gallon hex available. I'm willing to set up a seperate tank for them if i need to. What are my options? Please help me with the angelfish not the entire stocking list of my 30. Any help i can get will be greatly appreciated.

Awards Showcase

Thanks for the rep!! - Compass this doesnt look like pie... not the right kind.. - Sandz for providing solid guidance to others - RiversGirl Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass cheers - Fishhook 
    Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass No Message - Fishhook beeeeeeeer! - Sandz Bottoms up! (even though you don't drink, lol) - Slaphppy7 We miss you... - Compass 
    thank you for the filter! - RiversGirl for the fun game! - SeaLady Thank you very very much!! - Compass Love the games. Thank you :) - rebecca_finny TGIF! - showmebutterfly 
    Thanks for your help & points. - metweezer Nice to see you around again. enjoy the pie - fishmommie Thanks! :) I try! - Compass Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7 Thanks so much for everything. - metweezer 

0 Not allowed!
    Are you sure they are pairing off and not just fighting for territory? Anyway, a short term solution would be to move the two angels into the 30g hex, but you really need to fix the stocking. The three tanks you have are not big enough for the fish.
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I am positive they are pairing off. At first i thought it was territorial, but now i don't. They aren't just lip locking they are chasing other fish out of the corner they have claimed. Also i don't know what the correct wording is for this, but the female's egg tube is very visible and larger than usual. They also occasionally nip at some drift wood they have in that corner they have claimed, i assume they are cleaning it. I will probably move the rams to my 55 community. I plan on leaving the corys. The groumies i think would be ok. People have been telling me that those groumies are a disaster waiting to happen, but he has had 4 groumies in the tank for probably two years with no problems what so ever. There are only 3 groumies now, a pregnant one died when i was moving the tank.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Oh and the third angel can be moved to by 46 angel tank.

Any way they would be fine in the tank they are in with corys and groumies?

Awards Showcase

Thanks for the rep!! - Compass this doesnt look like pie... not the right kind.. - Sandz for providing solid guidance to others - RiversGirl Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass cheers - Fishhook 
    Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass No Message - Fishhook beeeeeeeer! - Sandz Bottoms up! (even though you don't drink, lol) - Slaphppy7 We miss you... - Compass 
    thank you for the filter! - RiversGirl for the fun game! - SeaLady Thank you very very much!! - Compass Love the games. Thank you :) - rebecca_finny TGIF! - showmebutterfly 
    Thanks for your help & points. - metweezer Nice to see you around again. enjoy the pie - fishmommie Thanks! :) I try! - Compass Happy Christmas! - Slaphppy7 Thanks so much for everything. - metweezer 

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by fishkid2121 View Post
    They aren't just lip locking they are chasing other fish out of the corner they have claimed. the female's egg tube is very visible and larger than usual. They also occasionally nip at some drift wood they have in that corner they have claimed, i assume they are cleaning it.
    That definitely says about to spawn.

Wait, you have other tanks available? What is in the 55 and 46? If you could move the gourami, rams, and corys the 55 and 46, you could leave the spawning angels in the 30 gallon, and put the single angel in the 30g hex. But it depends on what is in those two tanks in regards to both the types of fish and how heavily stocked.
    Last edited by mommy1; 08-01-2013 at 01:56 PM.
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Awards Showcase

No Message - Ms. Namazu starting the round off - Hardy85 The more the merrier...cheers! - Slaphppy7 I are as drunk are not I think are you. - Sandz fishies - Hardy85 
    The fishies are coming! the fishies are coming! - Sandz This round's on me... - Slaphppy7 For being a good sport, objective and one of the most respectful people on here.  Cheers, brother. - KevinVA For being a good sport, objective and one of the most respectful people on here.  Cheers, brother. - KevinVA cheers man - mojosodope 
    Heck, it's 5 o' clock somewhere... - Slaphppy7 Everyone loves pie. - Honey Badger 1 Nice work my friend - Honey Badger 1 nice work! have a beer! - Crispy lol, someone had to say it. - KevinVA 
    Thanks for the rep, and for all your help! - wgoldfarb Merry Christmas - mommy1 Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 Happy New Year - mommy1 Hey Longshot, haven't seen your mug around here lately.  Hope everything's ok! - KevinVA 

0 Not allowed!
    i had a ne0n dwarf gourami 0nce and he really didn't bother any0ne but my Blue g0uramis were terr0rs t0 each 0ther t0 my angels (when they were small, when they g0t larger the tables turned). If it were me, I w0uld set up the empty 30 and cycle it, then m0ve the pair 0f angels int0 it- as menti0ned by H0ney Badger, if y0u plan 0n all0wing them t0 spawn. M0nit0r the situati0n with the 3rd angel and the g0uramis and if need be re-h0me him/her if pr0blems cr0p up. If the g0uramis are 0k with the c0ries leave them al0ne and maybe put the rams in y0ur c0mmunity 55 as y0u said.
    When in d0ubt read it until it makes sense, then read it again!

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Please help me with the angelfish not the entire stocking list of my 30. Any help i can get will be greatly appreciated.
    It's not really feasible to help you with just the angelfish, because wherever you put them, they will have to live with the other fish in those tanks. We can't really give you good advice if you're not letting us know how many tank options you have and what other fish you have to work around. It's possible that you might have to get every tank you own set up and cycled, and then rearrange all of your fish until you have them grouped according to compatibility and water parameter requirements.
    (For instance, I like to keep angelfish out of tanks that have fin nippers in them.)

To help you with that, we would need to know the whole story. And yesterday you said the inherited tank only had angels and gouramis, but today you are saying it's your brother's fault that there are rams and corys in there too. So probably to get better help about what to do, you should tell us every fish you have, and the experienced people on here can figure out which ones can and can't live together, and whether you have enough room to make them all happy.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Finnie View Post
    It's not really feasible to help you with just the angelfish, because wherever you put them, they will have to live with the other fish in those tanks. We can't really give you good advice if you're not letting us know how many tank options you have and what other fish you have to work around. It's possible that you might have to get every tank you own set up and cycled, and then rearrange all of your fish until you have them grouped according to compatibility and water parameter requirements.
    (For instance, I like to keep angelfish out of tanks that have fin nippers in them.)

To help you with that, we would need to know the whole story. And yesterday you said the inherited tank only had angels and gouramis, but today you are saying it's your brother's fault that there are rams and corys in there too. So probably to get better help about what to do, you should tell us every fish you have, and the experienced people on here can figure out which ones can and can't live together, and whether you have enough room to make them all happy.
    Ok Here's the whole storey. 55 gallon has 5 old angels, 7 denison barbs, and 7 corys. The 46 has 5 angels, a brislenose pleco, 6 corys, and 12 neon tetras. The 30 gallon hex is empty, but it is cycled as it recently had fish in it. I also have an uncycled 10 gallon. Thanks for commenting

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Ok Here's the whole storey. 55 gallon has 5 old angels, 7 denison barbs, and 7 corys. The 46 has 5 angels, a brislenose pleco, 6 corys, and 12 neon tetras. The 30 gallon hex is empty, but it is cycled as it recently had fish in it. I also have an uncycled 10 gallon. Thanks for commenting
    Plus, I assume, the 30 gallon community tank you describe in the original post, with the three angels, the 3 dwarf gouramis, the 8 corys and the 3 bolivian rams? It definitely helps to know that the other tanks already have a lot of angels, because it would probably be bad advice for us to tell you to move these three over to them.

Anyway, I'm no expert. I don't know anything about most of those fish, but I know a little bit about angels and gouramis. Most people will tell you that you can only have one or two (if they get along) angelfish in those size tanks. There are some people who advocate overstocking the angels, to spread out the aggression. I've tried that, and I've found that instead of spreading the aggression out so that no one particular fish is overly harassed, there will be two who just develop a hatred for each other, and it will be unpleasant to watch until those two are separated.

Now, an angelfish breeder I know told me that sometimes just relocating angels to an unfamiliar tank can stop the aggression, since they are not in their old territory. So even though I would say you are overly maxed out with angels, you might be able to play musical tanks with them, if a problem develops, like the one you have right now with your mated pair. But in the end, I think you have at least 5 angelfish too many for your tanks and you may have to sell some of them off. (I've had good luck with eBay Classifieds and Hoobly. Craigslist and your local LFS are also possibilities.)

I have heard that gouramis will fin nip the angels, but I don't know if that's true. Two male gouramis can co exist in a big tank, but probably not in a 30 gallon. But if you add a female, then they will probably fight regardless of tank size. BUT, if you only have one male and two females, or all females, then theoretically, they should all be fine. I don't think they pose a threat to other species of fish, so you should be OK to put them in whichever tanks you want. (More experienced people, please correct me.) I have heard though, that with the large gourami species, that it's the luck of the draw whether you get one that is nice to other fish or is mean to everybody. I tried to look that up, and everybody has a different story about their opaline gourami or their gold gourami, or other color morphs, etc.

You are lucky that your 12 neon tetras are still alive with the angelfish. But if you move any different angels into that tank, don't be surprised if the neons become snacks.

These comments are just general information. For your specific problem with the mating angels, you have several options. You can split them up to different tanks to get them out of breeding mode, or you can keep them together, in one of your 30 gallons, with no other fish. I would definitely say that you should get all your tanks up and running, and try to relieve some of your overstocking issues. But I don't know anything about your other types of fish to be able to tell you what combination would work best. I guess I can assume Denison barbs are not fin nippers, since they are already with 5 angels? What is the condition of those angels' fins?

Play around with aqadvisor to see how different combinations of your fish and tanks work out. But then come back here and check anything aqadvisor tells you about compatibility, because they are always telling me that my fish can't live together, when they obviously already do. So I try to get feedback from more people about those things. But aqadvisor is good for figuring out stocking levels, filtering requirements, and water parameter needs.

And I'm really hoping that my comments will spur on the other members who really know what they are talking about to give you some better practical suggestions. Good luck!

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I have a 30 gallon community tank in which i have 3 angelfish, 3 dwarf groumies, 8 corys, and 3 bolivian rams. Yes i know bad stocking. I didn't stock the tank my brother did. I recently inherited the tank and after doing a massive water change to move the tank it seems that a three yr old zebra angel and a 8 month old golden angel have paired off. They started lip locking today and have now claimed part of the tank. I have a empty 10 gallon and an empty 30 gallon hex available. I'm willing to set up a seperate tank for them if i need to. What are my options? Please help me with the angelfish not the entire stocking list of my 30. Any help i can get will be greatly appreciated.
    I would throw em in a 10 gallon. That's what I keep all my pairs in, get a spawn every 1-3 weeks. Sponge filter, heater, and a piece of slate. Pull the spawn after a week and put em in a 10 gal tank by themselves, then move to a bigger tank a couple weeks later. I would save the 30 gal for the spawn to grow out in, not put the pair in it. To be honest that suggestion makes no sense to me.