· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bristlenose

1. Default Bristlenose

0 Not allowed!
    Hi, I have 2 BR's one 3" female and one 4-5" male, they dont seem to be going to breed anytime soon as i think the female isnt fully matured yet?
    But what i want to know is the female is just a common BR and the male is an albino BR but you can get L144 with Blue or Black eyes which have a golden colour and i seen this male which i now have he is golden and has red eyes does this make him albino?

could someone please explain the difference in Albino and L144's because nobody seems to be able to give me a decent answer lol :)

0 Not allowed!
    an albino lacks color pigments, which is one of the reasons why it has red eyes. the lack of pigments allow blood vessels inside the eye to show through.
    the L144 is, as far as I understand, a whitish color morph of the bristlenose, not an albino. While both are whitish, one lacks color pigments but the other still has retained some.
    as for the dilemna with the not-breeding bristlenoses, I hear that 3 inches should be a threshold for them. try raising the temperature for a few weeks and then dropping it back with cooler water changes.

0 Not allowed!
    That's because the situation is complicated and further complicated by the fact that these fish can cross breed. Fertility of such offspring varies. Your male sounds albino. Question is, which species? And which species is the female exactly.

Raising the temp a bit (don't go over 27c!!) can help. When you drop it also do a big water change, 40-50% with cool and soft water (rainwater if you can trust it). During this whole period feed well, fresh veg, some cory wafers or even frozen live food.. MAny start craving more protein if they get ready to spawn

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Why are albino more expensive than L144's?
    i have no idea which species the male is but i Think the female is Ancistrus dolichopterus?
    my temp is 26c during the day and at night drops to 25c so i dont want to fiddle with it in case i screw it up lol im actually going to the LFS later today should i get another large female?

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Ancistrus cf_cirrhosus Thats the female species actually sorry for the mistake.
    think its actually the male as well.

0 Not allowed!
    Having 2 females wouldn't hurt. It's not exactly uncommon for an adult male to take care of a litter from 2 females at the same time. And there is an albino variety of cf. cirrhosus.

How's the tank setup? Has the male picked out a cave yet?

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    i have a plant pot hide flush with the glass and a smallish hole so its private, i have a slate hide and 2 cave hides so plenty of choice, 2 bits of bog wood and a few live and fake plants, he stays in the slate hide all the time but I think thats because it gathers algae quicker?
    atm hes sitting right beside the female on the glass but they do that often.

As for the prices do you have any idea why the albino was more expensive than the l144's? i paid 20 for the red eyed one but the blue eyed were 18 im thinking it was the size as my albino was pretty much full grown 4"? but the blue eyed was smaller?

0 Not allowed!
    PRizes of "common" bristlenoses hardly ever make sense. I've seen daylight robbery for the calico variety and I've seen people struggle to give commons away.

If he's spending a lot of time in one particular hide then that might be the one he likes. Do you also see him clean it out occasionally?

From the sound of it I'd say madagascariensis is right and it's just not yet the right time for them. Trigging Loricariidae to spawn is sometimes a bit of a black art. There's accounts of people trying everything in the book and in the end the low pressure of a big thunderstorm in their area is what finally does it.

Adding a second female of the same species will not hurt at all but it's no guarantee at all.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    yea its all so very confusing..
    by cleaning it out do you mean he sorta fans the sand away from it with his tail? if so then yes he doesn this quite a bit, All im doing is feeding them fresh fruit/veg just before the lights go out as they dont eat much during the day and doing a decent water change every 2-3 days. everything seems fine with the water so im guessing im doing something at least a little correct lol.

0 Not allowed!
    Yes, fanning out means he likes the hide and it will probably be the spawning site once they're ready. Only think worth trying is adding a bit more protein to their diet and see if they take it. Cory wafers or shrimp pellets if you happen to have them. Perhaps buy a small bag of frozen seafood. I know one breeder who swears by small bits of frozen mussel to get his fish into spawning.

Apart from that, patience is the key