· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Question New to freshwater!

0 Not allowed!
    Long story short I used to have a 20 gallon salt water tank that I kept for about two years. The tank did great and everything in it thrived, however an unexpected move forced me to disassemble the tank.

Some years later... I miss having some fish to take care of, so I thought about a freshwater planted tank. I want something nice and small, perhaps for a bedside tank (and just in case another move occurs.) I was thinking of getting a fluval Spec V 5 gallon tank. I know it comes with "everything you need" but I was wondering what y'all thought about it and if it actually does have everything you need or would I have to add some mods to make it safe for my fish and plants.

Open too any and all advice and I greatly appreciate it in advance.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Welcome to the forum! I haven't had any personal experience with the Fluval Spec V, but it surely is a popular tank. It doesn't look like it comes with a heater, so that is something you will need if you plan on keeping tropical fish.

0 Not allowed!
    I'm always inclined to say that anyone who can keep a marine setup healtyh and happy for some time will have it easy with freshwater.

This fluval... it's very small and more or less cube shaped. That means your fish options are extremly limited. A single betta perhaps but that's pretty much it. It would make a wonderful shrimp tank.
    If you're good at stable water... (like I assume most salties are) perhaps those new sulawesi shrimp?

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Would a 7.5 gallon Fluval cube be better!

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Or maybe even the 12 Gallon Fluval Edge?

0 Not allowed!
    Somewhat. Perhaps we should approach it from the other end. Do you have any idea what you want to keep? Or what kind of look you want to accomplish?

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Not an EXACT idea of what I want to keep, but I do know what I'm going for. I like the look of black substrate with a grass/mossy feel too it. I'd like a piece of driftwood that comes up a bit high into the tank, i'd like that to have a plant attached to a plateau section of it.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    That sounds like what I want to do, too. Maybe have some tetras and red cherry shrimp in there. Something modern, elegant, classy, and fishy.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Exactly! I'd like the tank to grab attention as you come into the room, but be nice and calming to look at.

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by AllenIsbell View Post
    That sounds like what I want to do, too. Maybe have some tetras and red cherry shrimp in there. Something modern, elegant, classy, and fishy.
    Exactly what I'd suggest. Welcome to the AC

Shrimp and snail junkie... What can I say, I like the little things in life.