· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Hybrid View

1. Question Advice for setting up new freshwater, tropical, planted tank

0 Not allowed!
    Hi. I'm pretty new at this and was wondering what advice someone might have on setting up a new aquarium.

I recently obtained a 29g tank and a heater and would like to set up a freshwater community tropical tank. I'd like to plant the tank, but I don't know what I should do for cycling it.

The end goal would be to have some small schools of smaller fish (guppies/tetras/platties) and a nice planted environment with some driftwood.

Where I am at right now is that I have the tank, filter, heater, hood & light fixture, and a stand. I chose not to buy substrate or plants or decoration until I found out a bit more.

Should I but the plant substrate and plants (plus a plant light) and just put them all in there to cycle the tank? Should I wait until I have my driftwood soaked and ready to put in before cycling? Also, I read somewhere that adding a raw shrimp (from the grocery store) is a good way to have constant levels of ammonia released into the tank. Is this a good fish-less cycling method?

Your advice is greatly appreciated!

Awards Showcase

No Message - talldutchie Merry Christmas - KingFisher Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 This Holiday Swine hopes your 2014 will be simply divine! - Trillianne Thanks again for your help yesterday - Slaphppy7 
    Happy New Year! - jeffs99dime Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year Mommy1. - Strider199 Cheers.  Have some of my hang-over cure. Happy New Year - Cliff Happy New Year! - KingFisher Happy Birthday. - Taurus 
    Happy Birthday. - gadget228 Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 Looks like its time for a second cup! - Trillianne always fun - Surfdog thanks for sweetening the pot! - fishmommie 
    Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 for putting up with my bad timing - Cliff Congrats on MOTM. - gadget228 For most awesome avatar of the day. lol  Love it. - KevinVA Thank you so much for the Rep!! - steeler58 

0 Not allowed!
    This is the best method of cycling; http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640 If you can't find ammonia without additives then shrimp will work, but it's difficult to maintain proper ammonia levels with shrimp. With guppies, tetra, and platys it will be fine to set up the tank and get it cycled. If you want bottom dwellers you will want to research them a bit before you buy a substrate, some will prefer sand and others will do fine with gravel.
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for the advice, mommy1! I would like to add some cory catfish to help keep the bottom clean. Any advice on whether or not to add the plants/driftwood before doing the cycle you suggested?

Thanks again!

Awards Showcase

No Message - talldutchie Merry Christmas - KingFisher Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 This Holiday Swine hopes your 2014 will be simply divine! - Trillianne Thanks again for your help yesterday - Slaphppy7 
    Happy New Year! - jeffs99dime Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year Mommy1. - Strider199 Cheers.  Have some of my hang-over cure. Happy New Year - Cliff Happy New Year! - KingFisher Happy Birthday. - Taurus 
    Happy Birthday. - gadget228 Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 Looks like its time for a second cup! - Trillianne always fun - Surfdog thanks for sweetening the pot! - fishmommie 
    Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 for putting up with my bad timing - Cliff Congrats on MOTM. - gadget228 For most awesome avatar of the day. lol  Love it. - KevinVA Thank you so much for the Rep!! - steeler58 

0 Not allowed!
    Cory's will appreciate sand, but if you can find a small rounded gravel that will work ok. It's fine to set up the tank with everything but the fish, then do the fish-less cycle from the link I gave you in my first post here.
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    I want to add that cory's don't keep the bottom clean, they do forage around the bottom for food, but keeping the tank clean is your job.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks again, mommy1!

0 Not allowed!
    Nothing much to add I think, mommy is on the case.