· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Hybrid View

1. Default Mystery Snail Foot Injury or Disease?

0 Not allowed!
    Mable.jpg

Because of my fondness for mystery snails - a friend recently gave me her "sick" blue mystery snail with the hopes of me being able to help - however, I have never seen anything like this before and need some help figuring out what to do/what is going on!

From my understanding, she had this snail for about 3 months and it had been active and healthy until about a week ago. According to her, the snail remained upside down and inside its shell in the same spot on the bottom of the tank for about 5 days. Her tank is a 10 gallon with two mollies - who are pretty aggressive and liked to "annoy the snail".

I have now had her snail in my 1.5 gallon (I didn't want to put her in my 10 gallon in the case that she has something contagious) for the last 3 days. She stayed on the bottom in the same position for the first night - but yesterday started to come out of her shell a bit - but seemed to not be able to turn herself right side up - she even ate part of an algae wafer upside down. Today she was still seeming to struggle to turn herself over, so I helped her and put her right-side-up on the gravel and near the glass. She has now climed up to the top of the tank and I can see what the problem is - I just don't know it means. Her foot looks like it has been eroding, or a chunk has been pulled off, or it is some sort of fungus. I sent this picture to my friend and she told me that her foot did not look like this the last time that she saw it (about 8-10 days ago). I have been doing research all day, but have not been able to figure out what is going on.

Has anyone experienced something like this? Any advice? Please let me know if you need more pictures.

Thanks so much!

0 Not allowed!
    Damaged by mollies followed by subsequent bacterial or fungal infection due to sub-optimal water quality? Lots of food, clean water and no harassment by aggressive fish should do the trick if that is the case. It is a good sign that the snail is eating and attempting to move around.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks so much for responding. Sadly, her foot is not getting better. She is, however, eating - and her shell even has some new growth (I have added calcium to her water, and given her plenty of limestone and calcium-rich veggies). But, her foot seems to be getting worse. She used to be able to freely move around the bottom of the tank when I would help her into the right position, but now she can only grasp onto the gravel with a tiny portion of her foot - but it is not enough to pull herself around, so she just ends up grabbing onto gravel and flipping over (with the gravel still clutched in the little part of her foot). The white spot/erosion portion seems to be getting bigger - but her appetite and personality of wanting to get around on her own has not changed. The only way that she can eat is if I put an algae wafer or shrimp pellet right next to her face (while she is upside down, because she can not stay right-side-up for longer than about 30 seconds now) and she twists her neck around and out of her shell to be able to eat it. I am really at a loss here - I can tell that she is wanting to live, but I just can't figure out how to help her! Any thoughts are greatly appreciated. I just feel so bad for her.