· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Beginner fish ideas.

0 Not allowed!
    Hey all, looking to get an aquarium once I have moved house. I have been looking at a 160l (35.5g?) 100x40x40.
    Haven't bought anything yet as a) funds are low and b) don't have space in my current place - so I'm doing research atm.
    I am planning on planting it, with a graduation in plant height towards the back. Also if I can budget it in I plan on getting some rocks for hardscaping and having them at either end with a dark substrate and some sand in the middle?

I like the idea of a couple of schools of brightly colored fish, but could do with some advice on who will get on well with who, and any who might be a bit difficult for a beginner. Also who would suit going into the tank first and who might need to wait till it's established.
    So, a list of the fish I'd looked at and liked;

Neon tetras
    Cherry barbs
    Cory's -a couple of different var. that I liked
    : Bandit, False bandit, Green, Bronze, Three lined and Panda
    Rainbowfish- Both Threadfin and Dwarf neon
    Galaxy rasboras
    Gouramis - Red honey dwarf, Blue and Opaline

I'm aware that most of these are schooling fish, but am not sure what would constitute a reasonable school for each. Also would different var. of Cory's school together? Or would you need a school of each var.? And the Gouramis, would a blue/opaline one be okay on it's own or would it need company? And would they fight with the Dwarf reds?

Im aware that I can't fit all those In a tank that size, esp. in full schools so any ideas and/or advice appreciated.
    Thanks in advance.
    Harry

P.S Sorry for the book's worth of questions - just some things are hard to glean from plain text and it helps to ask.

0 Not allowed!
    OK, first of all, start reading about fishless cycle.
    2nd, have a look at your water company website to get some feeling for what you're dealing wiht.

100x40x40 seems a european size. Might wanna look at a juwel rio 180 then. Gets you good light and a pretty decent filter.

Height difference will make it bigger, see my tank (sig below here)

Cories really do best on sand.

From these
    12 neons
    12 cherry barbs
    8 cories (preferably same species, compatible habits and the chance they reproduce)

Is a nice start

After this give your plants some time to grow in before you look at gourami.

Rainbowfish tend to love hard water and are a bit big, the rest love soft water. Galaxies would end up as rainbowfish food.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Look at the Bloodfin tetras. They are a very hardy tetra and will school tightly.

0 Not allowed!
    They will also get into a serious fight with the gourami, if that ever appears. And the prefer the water a bit cooler.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Never had a problem with the temp. Keep them in 78 degree water.

Awards Showcase

My turn to buy - fishmommie It's EOTW Beer Time, so here's a Cafe Latte that looks like champagne in a bucket! - KevinVA Congrats on the cycles! - Slaphppy7 Thanks for the Rep and the gift :) - steeler58 Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Thx4 - pRED For your new tetra's :) - steeler58 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie Good job on your amazing tanks! - SeaLady 
    thank you for all the helpful information - showmebutterfly new fish! - RiversGirl I like your signature - aquariumlover10 Happy AC anniversary - SeaLady Happy 2 Year Anniversary! - Slaphppy7 
    For being my 7,000th poster! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 TGIF - steeler58 TGIF! - showmebutterfly TGIF! - wgoldfarb 
    Cesarean Sections - Headaches - Hospice Care - Multiple Myeloma - gronlaura 

Cool

0 Not allowed!
    Welcome to the AC!

I have 9 Neon Dwarf Rainbowfish - mine are great (their tankmates are listed in my sig). They get to about 2-1/2 inches. You need to have 2 females for each male (I have 3 males and 6 females) or all of one gender. I considered both Cherry Barbs and several cory species and either or both would do fine with the Rainbows. Not sure how the Rainbows would do with Gouramis or vice versa.
    Last edited by gronlaura; 03-07-2013 at 11:06 PM.
    My 75 gal Journal & My Dual 29 gal Journal
    My 75 gal - Gold Pristella Tetras, Scissortail Rasboras, Neon Dwarf Rainbowfish, Leopard & Zebra Danios, Bristlenose Pleco
    My Dual 29 gals - Left Tank - Diamond Tetras. Right Tank - right now a QT, future Amano Shrimp

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass....it's about learning to dance in the rain"

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    fyi threadfins and dwarf neon rainbows are the smallest of the rainbow species. And IMO treadfins would work a small school of about 6 would love it they are a little timid at first.
    Last edited by daimen123; 03-07-2013 at 11:09 PM.

Gods Country, Eastern High Sierras, California

Awards Showcase

No Message - RiversGirl New fishys - SeaLady Congrats on 7,000 posts! - Slaphppy7 TGIF! - Taurus TGIF! - Taurus 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Yes! TGIF - Compass TGIF Back at brother. ;-) - Taurus It's almost beer:30. - Taurus Here's a neon :) - rebecca_finny 
    Thanks for all the good info lately--have a donut! - WhistlingBadger Congrats on 7,800 posts! - Slaphppy7 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Returning some of the treasure you've brought to the forum. - Taurus T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    We ALL need more fish.  That's why we're here! - WhistlingBadger T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 TGIF indeed - RiversGirl TGIF Lee :-) - Taurus TGIF back to you! - wgoldfarb 
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler1 Childhood Cancer - steeler1 Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 
    Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - steeler1 Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by luke77 View Post
    Never had a problem with the temp. Keep them in 78 degree water.
    Good point, they can be kept in cooler tempature but their colors will fade. I also don't belive they would bother the Gourami. I've never kept them together but the bloodfins never bothered the Angel fish I kept them with.
    Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.
    Once you learn to quit, it becomes a habit.
    -Vince Lombardi

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are. ― John Wooden
    Sandy Hook Elementary......Lest We Forget
    See my profile for my tanks and what fish I keep

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Hey thanks for the info,was already planning on a fish-less cycle -looks like a little longer to get the fish in the short term but less hassle and risk in the long run, right? Also the bit about what order to introduce the fishies, I was if any of them were particularly sensitive to water changes and should be left till the tank settled a bit after cycling?

Also, looking to have a few plants in the long run so thinking about plant substrates, will these give off stuff and affect cycling and will it be okay to put in the plants as I start cycling? I have a few friends with established tanks, healthy as far as I know - would anything bad die off during cycling or am I best off not risking anything affecting future fishies?

If I went for a sand substrate, how would I keep it clean? Are the any that are heavy(?) enough to use with a gravel vacuum thing? Or is there a specific way to keep it nice and clean looking?

Thanks
    Harry

0 Not allowed!
    I've kept tetra substrate capped with gravel. Works extremely well for plants! I've switched to sand now with jbl 7+13 clay pellets and some liquid ferts. Works well too and it's much more popular with the bottom dwellers.

I've got malaysian trumpet snails who plough in part of the fish poo into the sand where it helps the plants. The rest I syphon away. I use a 6mm hose and make circular motions with a finger just over the sand. The sand settles a lot more quickly than the dirt.