· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default just starting ^^

0 Not allowed!
    i`ve alwyas had 10 or 20 gallon tanks when i was growing up as a kid so i figured i would get back into it now im planning on buying a 36.4L x 18.4W x 25H aquarium it is 65 gallons im getting a these so far for it.
    800 GPH Powerhead Aquarium Pump Wave Maker
    Tetra 77855 Whisper Air Pump, 100-Gallon
    Aqueon 06079 QuietFlow 55/75 Power Filter, 400-GPH
    Aqueon® Submersible Aquarium Heater 200 watts (up to 75 gallons)

im planing to hopefully put some rainbowfishes in this and cories and plants.

ok now for questions:
    What else am i missing? XD
    how much Gravel is needed for this because i don`t know if it makes a difference if its a taller tank rather then longer?
    i plan on putting Java Moss and Java Ferns in any help on those n other recommended plants to go with them for rainbows?

all help is welcome ^^" thank you so much.
    Also i been reading these for most of the info i need:
    encyclopedia of aquarium plants by peter hiscock
    Rainbowfish - a complete pet owners manual by barrons i think? XD
    how to set up a freshwater aquarium like a expert - on kindle
    image of Tank im getting:
    pPETS-6704016dt.jpg

0 Not allowed!
    welcome to the forum and cogratulations for doing research.
    a good rule of thumb for gravel is 1-2 pounds per gallon of water, depending on how thick you want the gravel bed. I have the same size tank as you and have approx. 80 pounds of gravel in it. java moss and java fern will have to be rooted on rocks or wood, and will not thrive if planted in gravel. If you are planning on planting the tank, then it would be advised to use a plant substrate such as ecocomplete or seachem flourite.
    I cannot really think of anything major that still is missing except for one thing: if you are serious with growing nice plants, get a good light fixture that will provide at least 2 watts per gallon of water, maybe even more considering your tank is so deep. the light that comes with the tank is just enough to view the fish and won't sustain plants.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    oh and thank you for the warm welcome ^^
    yeah i know java moss and java ferns need to be rooted on rocks or wood ^^ dose that mean i still need a plant substrate for tank? was kind of hoping to find something that can just handle being in the grave snice java's i was planting to attach to driftwood.

Also is there any lighting u can link me or recommend? i uslay shop at petsmart or amazon.
    Last edited by ChaosWolf; 03-07-2013 at 02:25 AM.

0 Not allowed!
    in fact the majority of plants are to be planted in the substrate, the hiscock book you have has a comprehensive guide in towards the end. if you plan to use only java fern and moss, then you would not need a plant substrate
    but I nonetheless would recommend it because generally once you have stuff growing on your wood, the gravel will look bare and you will also want something growing
    on the ground. once you are there you will be very grateful for having previously chosen a plant substrate because it really is a pain to tear up a whole tank and replace the gravel later on.

the lighting I have used successfully are aquaticlife fixtures. i have two dual lamps joined together but I conceive you could also buy a single four-bulb fixture.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    First off welcome and good for you for asking questions before buying.

Now, does the tank have a middle brace? If it does the aqueon filter you have listed may not fit on the back of the aquarium. I have the 56 gallon column tank petsmart has and the large hob filters wont fit. It is only narrower but you should check before you buy. Also you will need more filtration for the tank since you would want filtration for a 130 gallon tank. Amazon has some great deals on canisters filters , but you will have to measure what will fit in the stand.

I would suggest getting the aqueon 250w heater especially if you live in a colder climate. The 250w is rated up to 90 gallons.

With a tank that deep you will likely need a better light. Whether you use a 2 or 4 bulb fixture will depend on how deep you want your plants. If you use some really tall driftwood and put the plants towards the top you will need less light.

Something I didnt see listed was a water testing kit to keep everything in check. Api has a master test kit that goes for about $20 on amazon.

Hope all that makes sense.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Forgot something and on my phone editting doesnt go well.

That air pump will likely not give you good bubbles at the bottom of the tank because of the pressure. You would meed either a deepwater pump or a piston driven pump. You would not need this if you went with two hob filters or a canister with a decent spraybar to break up surface tension.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    i don`t really understand canisters filters that well most of them i look at have bad feedbacks or a very high price >< but if i can get a filter to not have to get a pump would be cheaper hmm any recommendations on a canister one that would work well for the 65gallon?

and yeah i just didn`t plan on getting the test kits yet was trying to get the more expensive things done 1st.

Also haven`t had a chance to go to store yet to look at tank i just been looking online at it was waiting till i went there to just buy it.

and if i get plant substrate how much should i put in n dose it effect how much gravel i should be putting in? so confusing

One more thing is 300Watt to much? im only seeing 200 or 300Watt.
    Last edited by ChaosWolf; 03-07-2013 at 04:27 AM.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    like idk its hard to understand but should it be like 30 gallons worth of substrate then 50lb of gravel? or do i need to make it more dif? the problem in the book i have it just says "thin amount n beginners to use only gravel" >< or should i just buy 40lb/40lb n just mix them together?

was thinking maybe somthing like:(if i can find these all looking in book but basicaly around these)
    Java fern
    Java Moss
    Giant Vallisneria
    dwarf Sagittaria
    n maybe n african fern
    Last edited by ChaosWolf; 03-07-2013 at 01:53 PM.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by ChaosWolf View Post
    like idk its hard to understand but should it be like 30 gallons worth of substrate then 50lb of gravel? or do i need to make it more dif? the problem in the book i have it just says "thin amount n beginners to use only gravel" >< or should i just buy 40lb/40lb n just mix them together?

was thinking maybe somthing like:(if i can find these all looking in book but basicaly around these)
    Java fern
    Java Moss
    Giant Vallisneria
    dwarf Sagittaria
    n maybe n african fern
    1st of all, you only need 1 test kit. Most forum members use the API freshwater - it uses liquids & test tubes & is very accurate.
    2nd, in case you didn't know this, gravel is one kind of substrate. You can put whatever you want in the tank whether or not you're new at this. From my understanding, the amount you want is your preference - the more you put in, the more stuff can get trapped in it and it takes a little longer to clean, but some people like a lot of it. Some people mix different types, especially if they want plants.

Regarding a heater - many tank owners have more than one in larger tanks - that way if one breaks, there's another one to keep the temp consistent - same thing with filters. I apologize I'm not good with brands/prices.
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, green corys, 1 guppy, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT with green corys & 2 guppies

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    regarding filter i called petsmart n support bar is in middle of the tank which means i can fit 2 of the filters i have listed! weee so that should take care of the problem n they are hob ones too so no air pump which fixes that problem. im going to go with 30lbs of substate plant food thingie i was looking at comes in 15lbs bags so works good n gravel comes in 25lbs so i`ll get 50lbs for that.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=ATVPDKIKX0DER
    this is the filter im going to get 2 of them so i think it should be enough then? these say up to 90 gallons so would be 180 gallons worth then? lol

and i plan on getting test kit before i add fish n plants in im going to see if i can fit it onto this weeks amazon fund i have lol if not probly next week i`ll get it. i don`t plan on buying the tank till end of this month just trying to get everything that i need.