· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

0 Not allowed!
    Need advice please. I have a 20 gal tank with one pleco and one redfin shark only. Tried other fish, but the shark is a bully, and the other fish would gradually just disappear. So now he has run of the tank with the pleco. I grow Swiss Chard in my herb garden and both fish love not only the dark green leaves, but stems as well.

I feed flake food & baby shrimp daily and bloodworms a couple times a week, and I vary the veggies some, but they favor the chard.

I need to know how often can I give the veggies and still have healthy nutritionally well balanced fish? I don't give the veggies every day because I want the shark to have flakes, etc. But then I notice they are both trying to get any bits that may have been left on the clip that's on wall of the aquarium.

I feed flakes & shrimp in mornings and give veggies in afternoons on the days I give. Is it okay to feed the fish veggies every day?

Thanks.

0 Not allowed!
    P.S. The shark has grown from about an inch to over 5 inches, and the plecos is at least 5 inches in length.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Hi and welcome

You can feed veggies daily. no problem. just make sure the shark gets some protein.

Can't help but mention that those are pretty big fish for that small tank. You might want to do some googling and search for profiles for both fish. The 1 inch per gallon rule (which is actually pretty useless) can loosely apply with fish that don't get much over 2 inches. But with fish that large, it's not applicable at all. If your pleco is a common, he's just getting started and could get over 16 inches - same could be said for some other variety of plecos.
    As for the shark - he could get up to 6 inches. A tank size of 30 gallons MINIMUM is recommended for him. The two together should actually be in a larger tank than 30 gallons.
    In any event, they may look fine now but if at all possible you should try to get them some more room. The small tank might be part of the reason you can't keep other fish with the shark. He's frustrated because he doesn't have much swimming room.
    Know you love your fish so I hope you can work something out.
    Good luck!
    Last edited by fishmommie; 04-18-2013 at 06:25 PM.
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, pair kribs, & nerite snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: EBJD, congos, apple snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

0 Not allowed!
    It also depends on what the "pleco" is. Bristlenose are largely vegetarian, "common" are not.