· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Default

0 Not allowed!
    That exactly what I'm doing actually, I raised the temp to my tank and I'm going to leave it that way until Sunday when I do a water change and after that I will treat the tank with prazipro since I've already purchased it. May not kill what I have in my tank but hopefully it does some good. And then after I'm done treatin my tank I plan to add one of the UV sterilizers. The one u mentioned is the ones I'm skeptical about because of the flow rate. But I'm going to give it anothe go and actually give it a try this time around ( had one prior and didnt give it a chance before I returned it).

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Ultraviolet radiation can kill sterilize and alter life forms. It can create a mild amount of ozone, oxygen 3 in the water, a contact oxidant. The water needs to remain exposed for a certain amount of time depending upon the quality of the bulb as well as it's capacity to put out UV radiation. The amount of time that the water needs to remain in the exposure is referred to as the dwell time. Less flow equals higher dwell yet less time makes the unit less efficient overall. There is a certain number of times that you would like to turn the water through the unit per hour to become more efficient in your over all exposure to UV. It is important to remember that this turn over is limited to the water and that portion of the target suspended in the water. UV has little effect on the stuff in media or gravel etc. It is usually a good idea to discontinue UV during most medication applications. It can alter some medications and the ozone may deplete some dosages. The bulbs have a finite life span which decreases rapidly in efficiency. Most bulbs have a 6 month life span. UV is dangerous to look at. Never look at a lit bulb, it will burn your retinas fairly quickly. Never touch the bulb surface, the oils on your hand may damage some bulbs. In some cases your finger prints could be seen on a bulb surface after the unit is energized if you touch the bulb. Once a month the bulb surface should be carefully wiped clean to get full exposure. These units work well so long as you understand the functions and limits of the technology. They don't perform miracle though which is why some don't like them.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    The one I have has an adjustable flow rate. Just a knob, but it works all right. I guess this brand didn't have a flow control before, but added one. I keep it pretty low.

Again, mine works for me since I don't run it all the time. I take it out of the tank completely in between uses. IDK what continuous use would do, as IWA brings up. I wouldn't use it with meds or with anything added to the water really, because it can chemically alter things.

Good luck! It's totally frustrating to have a "sick" tank. Hopefully you'll get it worked out soon, and you can enjoy the fruits of your labor.
    Beth
    1 - 55 gallon planted community
    3 - 10 to 20 gallon planted betta tanks
    My advice: slow down, think, and be willing to learn. Then you'll be fine, no matter what.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I think I found out the deaths that have been happening it my tank lately which is kind of good news. I believe the deaths came from a nitrite spike that I have right now on the lower wnd between .25-.50ppm deadly I know might have came from my last additions which where 3 adult fish 5"+ and a 3-4" followed by my weekly 60% water change. I assume since not of the fish I lost where my little guys is that they couldn't handle the spike . I did have one who developed eye cloud before passing and a few who have some issues with their slime coat/ scales , that tells me right there I still have a mild I'm assuming bacteria problem in my tank.

Knowing the above what mess should I proceed with ? I'm leaning towards mela&pimafix it's not ich and from a chart mela&pimafix treats multiple issues in a tank while other specialize in either ich or internal parasites.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    If you use Mela and pima together do not use a 50% dose of each to get to 100%. Use less than half of the total. You can kill your fish if you put in too much of it. Watch them closely in case they react poorly to it.

0 Not allowed!
    Hrm... what if you're using only Mela or Pima? 100% dose ok?
    Adventures in Aquaria - The KevinVA Story

When in doubt, ask yourself... W.W.L.S (What would Lee Say)?