· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Default Learning about Biotope configurations ...

0 Not allowed!
    Hello - am new to the aquarium world and am fascinated by the biotope concept (in my mind, that means plants and fish that exist together in nature and are now living in a re-created looking habitat ... in an aquarium in my house). I think this sounds awesome.

Where do I find more information about the different biotope possibilities (and if they are endless, then, perhaps, the most prominent ones) and see photos and outlines of what goes together and how in the aquarium?

The wonderful e-book on this site mentions two "beginner biotopes" (Root/South America and Asian Lowland Still Water). Also, I have found: http://fish.mongabay.com/biotope.htm which seems to be headed in the direction I am looking for but hasn't been updated in a while (2004) and I would like to see more photos of tank setups.

Any good resources out there I am missing?

Appreciate any research tips from those who have swam before me.

Damon

Awards Showcase

It's EOTW Beer Time! - KevinVA Nobody likes to drinl alone :) - steeler58 Back at you,  good sir! - Compass Here's to Lee's 5000 and Guava Flavored Whiskey! - Taurus Why drink alone, when a Sandz is nearby? - KevinVA 
    Sorry to hear of your loss, it always sucks to lose fish. - mommy1 Wish it was a real one, sorry for your loses :( - steeler58 So sorry about your fish! - SeaLady Here is pie. - mommy1 for the one you lost :o( - fishmommie 
    No Message - Fishhook Bottoms up! - Slaphppy7 Thanks, this one is on me - mommy1 Here's to 4,000 posts :) - steeler58 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    TGIF and here's to good whiskey :-) - Taurus Thanks for the rep :) - rebecca_finny pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie thank you for your help and advice - showmebutterfly Even Monday's are better with severum - showmebutterfly 

0 Not allowed!
    I dont have a direct link but here is what I would do. Go through a site like liveaquaria.com or even petco.com and look at the fish you personally like. Then take that fish and punch its name in google and find pictures of it in the wild under google images. Folks here can help ID the fish and plants around it and also the site has a great feature of fish profiles that will guide you to the area the fish is local to.

For example, South American Cichlids like the German Blue Ram or Appisogramma's can be found in sand beds, driftwood and amazon ferns all around them... you will find loads out there!
    FW: 1 45gal, 1 40gal, 3 10gal, 3 30gal all community tanks of different species
    Sw: 1 55gal, 1 30gal show, 1 29gal show, 1 20gal and 2 10's

0 Not allowed!
    I agree with Sandz! Another thing you could do is take a look in the journal section of this site. Quite a few people here do biotopes, and provide start to finish journals on them. :) The titles will most likely mention 'biotope'.
    130g: 6 Angelfish, 2 Roseline Sharks, 5 Kuhli Loaches, 1 Otocinslus, 1 Corydora
    I've noticed that people HATE it when you point out how stupid they are, so now I try to do it politely.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks both for your suggestions - I will have to do some leg work then. Smile. I will be sure to create a journal once I get going. If anyone else has any good resources (books maybe?) let me know ...

0 Not allowed!
    Depends on what you're after. I recently posted 45 minutes of underwater footage of venezuela.

IMO it all starts by taking a good look at your tapwater (and by vowing never to touch clown vomit gravel! ). What are the readings after letting it sit for 24 hours?

0 Not allowed!
    Here is a link to some information. http://www.ukaps.org/index.php?page=...h-planted-tank

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas Douglas - Taurus Please enjoy this holiday hog! - Trillianne Have a super christmas! - Aeonflame Congrats on 1 year! - andreahp Congrats on 1 year! - jeffs99dime 
    Happy One-Year! - Rue Happy New Year! - ~firefly~ Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 No Message - 850R Now THAT was a nice quiet beer... But now that we have had another... Let's go break stuff!! :-P - 850R 
    Thanks for the rep/compliments! - mojosodope Thanks for the rep the other day, cheers - Cliff ...they go with snow, right? - ~firefly~ Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ 
    Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Christmas - mommy1 Merry Christmas - KingFisher Happy New Year - mommy1 Thanks! - pRED 

0 Not allowed!
    Perhaps before you get your hopes up for a certain biotope it may also be worth looking at what species you can find in your local area?

I agree with talldutchie your pH will have the final say, e.g if its 8.0 its africans for you, or if its 6.5 bring on South America.
    My therapist says I need a bigger tank . . . . .

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Welcome to fishkeeping, although biotopies are beautiful i find that they are better suited to a more advance aquarist. For a beginner, trying to get to grips with water parameters, cycling, tank maintenance, equipment maintenance and such can be a steep learning curve. With biotopies you would also need to manage and take care of your plants as well.

Maybe to start with you could choose which biotope you would like to have, and just buy the fish first with some basic decor (plastic decor and plants). Once you feel established enough, you could rescape the tank to a full biotope buy adding the plants, etc.

Either way, good luck and google is your friend.
    Fiiiiiiiiiiissssshhhhhh!

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottishFish View Post
    Perhaps before you get your hopes up for a certain biotope it may also be worth looking at what species you can find in your local area?

I agree with talldutchie your pH will have the final say, e.g if its 8.0 its africans for you, or if its 6.5 bring on South America.
    Hardness actually worries me more. If water is reasonably soft you can nudge it down with some peat quite easily.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazedMichael View Post
    Welcome to fishkeeping, although biotopies are beautiful i find that they are better suited to a more advance aquarist. For a beginner, trying to get to grips with water parameters, cycling, tank maintenance, equipment maintenance and such can be a steep learning curve. With biotopies you would also need to manage and take care of your plants as well.

Maybe to start with you could choose which biotope you would like to have, and just buy the fish first with some basic decor (plastic decor and plants). Once you feel established enough, you could rescape the tank to a full biotope buy adding the plants, etc.

I am sorry but I disagree with this. Cycling needs to be done anyway.

Plants buffer nitrates (and other things) giving more room for slight errors. They also provide cover which reduces stress and improves health. Planting isn't difficult at all if you spent a small amount of time on research.

Not all biotopes feature plants. There's quite a few that have branches, algae and leaf litter and that's it.

For a newbie a strict biotope can be a challenge if only because sourcing plants is a challenge. If you're a little less strict (i.e. only south-american species versus only from that one river) it does not need to be difficult at all

0 Not allowed!
    I personally think its a matter of determining which biotope you like and trying to get as close to it as possible.

A perfect biotope I think is for someone more advanced, but if someone has the budget (for lights, substrate, bit pricier fish etc) and time to put into one I think anyone can get it close.

I personally just want a natural looking tank, not necessarily all from one area though