· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is this bad?

1. Exclamation Is this bad?

0 Not allowed!
    I noticed something odd with the front of tank, there seems to be some cracks? I'm not exactly sure what they are, they are really hard to see unless you get on the floor and look straight up as if looking at the light. Should I be concerned about this? I've been keeping an eye on it and I think it might have spread a tiny bit since I re-set up my tank. I'm worried about a tank failure because when I was a teenager, my dad INSISTED on building me an aquarium stand and it was the worst thing in the world. It wasn't level and a third of my tank didn't even sit on the stand, but I wasn't allowed to not use the stand and my dad wouldn't let me make it level (he took me wanting to fix it as an insult) so I'm thinking that the damn stand might have broken my tank because the "cracks" are right about where there was a 1/4" gap between my tank and that stand. Here's the best picture I could get:

Is there a way to fix this? Is my tank doomed? It's an acrylic aquarium.

The stand I'm using now IS built for aquariums and is perfectly level.
    Last edited by FreakyFishie; 03-06-2013 at 08:31 PM.
    70 Gal Planted Rio Negro Angelfish Biotope with:
    1 Whip Tail Pleco
    7 Hatchet fish
    11 Glo Light tetras, 6 Black Skirted Tetras
    6 Bronze Corys
    3 Wild Type Angelfish
    Current Plants:
    Giant Amazon Sword, Narrow Leaf Java, Val, moss on driftwood

Awards Showcase

It's EOTW Beer Time! - KevinVA Nobody likes to drinl alone :) - steeler58 Back at you,  good sir! - Compass Here's to Lee's 5000 and Guava Flavored Whiskey! - Taurus Why drink alone, when a Sandz is nearby? - KevinVA 
    Sorry to hear of your loss, it always sucks to lose fish. - mommy1 Wish it was a real one, sorry for your loses :( - steeler58 So sorry about your fish! - SeaLady Here is pie. - mommy1 for the one you lost :o( - fishmommie 
    No Message - Fishhook Bottoms up! - Slaphppy7 Thanks, this one is on me - mommy1 Here's to 4,000 posts :) - steeler58 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    TGIF and here's to good whiskey :-) - Taurus Thanks for the rep :) - rebecca_finny pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie thank you for your help and advice - showmebutterfly Even Monday's are better with severum - showmebutterfly 

0 Not allowed!
    acrylic is easy as heck to scratch. Doesnt look to terrible now but I would wait a while and keep a very close eye on it.
    FW: 1 45gal, 1 40gal, 3 10gal, 3 30gal all community tanks of different species
    Sw: 1 55gal, 1 30gal show, 1 29gal show, 1 20gal and 2 10's

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    okay - I'm going to ask a really stupid question. Is there any chance that the plastic protective sheet that covered the tank is still in place and you didn't realize it's still there and it's the plastic that's scratched, not the tank?

If not --- never mind
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, pair kribs, & nerite snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: EBJD, congos, apple snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

Awards Showcase

It's EOTW Beer Time! - KevinVA Nobody likes to drinl alone :) - steeler58 Back at you,  good sir! - Compass Here's to Lee's 5000 and Guava Flavored Whiskey! - Taurus Why drink alone, when a Sandz is nearby? - KevinVA 
    Sorry to hear of your loss, it always sucks to lose fish. - mommy1 Wish it was a real one, sorry for your loses :( - steeler58 So sorry about your fish! - SeaLady Here is pie. - mommy1 for the one you lost :o( - fishmommie 
    No Message - Fishhook Bottoms up! - Slaphppy7 Thanks, this one is on me - mommy1 Here's to 4,000 posts :) - steeler58 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    TGIF and here's to good whiskey :-) - Taurus Thanks for the rep :) - rebecca_finny pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie thank you for your help and advice - showmebutterfly Even Monday's are better with severum - showmebutterfly 

0 Not allowed!
    Not a stupid question... +1...
    FW: 1 45gal, 1 40gal, 3 10gal, 3 30gal all community tanks of different species
    Sw: 1 55gal, 1 30gal show, 1 29gal show, 1 20gal and 2 10's

0 Not allowed!
    now what it looks like the most to me is hardwater residue. whenever I feed my fish or do anything to the tank, water drops run down the side and when they dry they leave trails just like described.
    try wiping it with warm water.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Sandz: I know for a fact they are not scratches, they stem from the bottom of the tank and go up and there is nothing tactile about them inside the tank or out meaning they're forming in the middle of the acrylic pane because you can feel a scratch on an acrylic tank if you rub your fingernail over it and it catches.

fishmommie:
    LOL no...I did still have the film on the very bottom on for awhile though because I didn't think to check there when I first got it which was funny finding 4yrs later.

madagascariensis: It's not residue, that's what I first though when I noticed it, they're fractures in the acrylic it seems...I'm just wondering if this means there will be a tank failure or if there's a way to repair it if it gets worse..I first noticed them when I set my tank back up and was cleaning it. They seem to have gotten a LITTLE worse over the last 3 mo which is why I'm worried about the tank failing.
    1 Whip Tail Pleco
    7 Hatchet fish
    6 Bronze Corys
    3 Wild Type Angelfish
    Current Plants:

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I would check with the tank manufacture. Surely they would be able to help figure it out and perhaps there's a warranty if it is a crack or disintegration of some sort. Good luck and let us know if you figure it out.
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, pair kribs, & nerite snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: EBJD, congos, apple snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    The tank is 7 years old, I don't believe it's under warrantee anymore, but even if it was I didn't register it >_<

How do you repair cracks in an acrylic tank? Figure it'd be good to know if it gets worse, where would I maybe find that out?
    1 Whip Tail Pleco
    7 Hatchet fish
    6 Bronze Corys
    3 Wild Type Angelfish
    Current Plants:

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I have accidentally scratched my 6 gallon, but it's not a crack. It happened while inserting a rock, it may be because you were inserting a rock yourself or hard driftwood. If it is 7 years old, it could have cracked, but make sure it wasn't an accident while putting something in, because it could just be a minor scratch.

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    It's not a scratch, it's a whole bunch of tiny fractures :/
    1 Whip Tail Pleco
    7 Hatchet fish
    6 Bronze Corys
    3 Wild Type Angelfish
    Current Plants: