· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Thread: stocking ideas

1. Default stocking ideas

0 Not allowed!
    In my 240g reef I am wanting to add some different fish. I have a blue tang, 3 chromis, yellow tang, and diamond goby. I am trying to figure out what else I can add that is not your typical fish you see all the time. What would you add in the reef tank? The marine beta is cool but 50/50 on getting along in a reef tank so I decided not to. The coral beauty and emporer I don't want because everyone I know already has them lol.

Throw ideas at me... I like schooling and/or color! Oh, none that may eat my corals again.
    300g + 240g in wall build! - Follow Here
    120g SW Reef, LED lights, cool fish and corals!

Awards Showcase

I don't like to drink alone..... Cheers - Cliff because they rock! and for showing them to me. - cm12setx Here's to retirement! - Slaphppy7 Thanks for the videos and great advice on restocking my dual 29s! - gronlaura for tirelessly showing beautiful, various fish - RiversGirl 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 TGIF on the 13th with a full moon. - Taurus Spurs! - RiversGirl Here's a get well soon beer, so get well ASAP. - Taurus T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    feelin your pain - SeaLady Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass Beer reduces kidney stones! - Sandz T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 Thx. Have another on me! - pRED 
    Enjoy the 4th brother :-) - Taurus Bleeding blues! - RiversGirl TGIF and here's to the bleeding blues Lee. - Taurus This one's on me.... - Slaphppy7 pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie 
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler1 Childhood Cancer - steeler1 Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 
    Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - steeler1 Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 

0 Not allowed!
    How about a Passer/king Angel?
    Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.
    Once you learn to quit, it becomes a habit.
    -Vince Lombardi

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are.” ― John Wooden
    Sandy Hook Elementary......Lest We Forget
    See my profile for my tanks and what fish I keep

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I like that one! Added to the list.

Keep the ideas coming :-)

0 Not allowed!
    It would depend on what type of reef tank that you want.

If you only want SPS, then large angel are OK, but you would most likely run into problems as most angels will nip/eat softies and LPS

Here is what I would suggestions as potential options pick from, to add with your current stock that may not be very common in your area:
    about 7 reef chormis
    a white tailed Bristol tooth tang
    a bird wrasse (may not be reef safe, not too sure on him)
    5 Pictilis Anthias (1 male 4 females)
    a Magnificent or Fuji black Foxface
    a Crosshatch Triggerfish (can be a risk with soft corals)

I've had the magnificent fox face for a while now and just added reef chromis to my QT tank. I have no first hand experience with the other fish, those recommendations are based on the aquariums of a few people that I know where I live.
    Last edited by Cliff; 03-06-2013 at 09:43 PM.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cliff View Post
    It would depend on what type of reef tank that you want.

If you only want SPS, then large angel are OK, but you would most likely run into problems as most angels will nip/eat softies and LPS

Here is what I would suggestions as potential options pick from, to add with your current stock that may not be very common in your area:
    about 7 reef chormis
    a white tailed Bristol tooth tang
    a bird wrasse (may not be reef safe, not too sure on him)
    5 Pictilis Anthias (1 male 4 females)
    a Magnificent or Fuji black Foxface
    a Crosshatch Triggerfish (can be a risk with soft corals)

I've had the magnificent fox face for a while now and just added reef chromis to my QT tank. I have no first hand experience with the other fish, those recommendations are based on the aquariums of a few people that I know where I live.
    I did not even think about the fish picking at the corals. My goal is a mixed reef tank with softies, SPS and LPS eaching having ~1/3 of the tank. I will be able to control the lights above them so that will work out great.

The crosshatch trigger is sweet but claims agressive and I don't want a $500 fish lol.

The white tailed bristol tooth tang is added to my list along with the anthias.

0 Not allowed!
    Yes, some of them can be little terrors some times, but not all the time

You certainly can't go wrong with the tang and anthias
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by steeler1 View Post
    How about a Passer/king Angel?
    No offense, but was this recommendation a joke or were you actually serious?
    You are recommending one of the most aggressive fish in the Pomacanthus genus, and one that has one of the worst reputations for going after corals for a reef tank?

I recently talked to Bob Fenner about Annularis angels in SPS reef tanks. The Annularis are known to be one of the better large angels for reefs and this was his reply:

"In a system of one hundred or less gallons, a good deal of trouble to be expected... at two hundred, about 50:50 odds, and three hundred plus gallons not likely any issue."

The "not likely any issue" is due to the fact that the damage will be spread out and the corals will recover before being attacked again. Passers don't fall into this. My LFS has one in a 240 with a handful of corals... all of which are looking really beat-up right now. On top of that, most of the other fish look beat up because the Passer won't leave them alone. The other inhabitants include a 10" Sailfin Tang, 7" Blue Hippo, Cuban Hog, a Magnificant Foxface, and a Maculosus Angel. Not one of them is exempt from the beatings this fish dishes out.
    Considering a Marine Aquarium? A Breakdown of the Components, Live Rock, Cycling a Marine Tank

"The capacity to learn is a gift; The ability to learn is a skill; The WILLINGNESS to learn is a choice." - Unknown

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Good to know!

9. Thumbs up

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks to you all experts, In your discussions there are great points which could be followed for our fishes.