· Pond Fish
· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Upside Down Catfish + Loaches?

0 Not allowed!
    I'm still looking around for what to put in my 50g once started and was wondering if these two will get along. I'm going to have three of these catfish and I know the size is fine with them because they max at 3" or 4" and it is recommended 10 at smallest(from some sources) I'm not asking if the tank size is good, I'm just asking if these 2 will be good together in general. If your wondering about the loach, it's either the angelicus, zebra, or dwarf chain. Dwarf chain is first on the list, but they are "endangered" and I don't want to pay $40 each for a school. Please note that I supply all tanks with plenty of plants and caves because that's just proper. Someone please tell me if these 2 are compatible and if so, any risks so I can take care of them beforehand.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    most "upside down catfish" are the larger variety that get around 8inches, so unless you know the source is true/breeder to get them you'll end up with the larger variety.

My LFS sells them as "upside down catfish" and they are labeled to be the smaller size, when in reality they aren't.

So caution there.

But I doubt they'll get along in your tank.
    I know you aren't asking on the size, but when you have so many bottom dwellers, and their space is crowded-they then don't like each other.
    in a 100gallon tank, i bet they'll do fine because they can get away from each other.
    in a 3ft long tank, no way jose.
    Last edited by mizzoutank; 03-05-2013 at 03:58 AM.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I thought upside down catfish weren't bottom dwellers and that they are at the top and middle commonly. If they are truly bottom dwellers, could I pm you about the stocking because I don't like conversations that have 2 or 3 diffirent aspects.

4-6 loaches and 1-2 algea eaters is enough for bottom dwellers, it would be a pain for these guys to be added in to the bottom. After reading alot of articles on them it says they love hiding in driftwood and caves. But if they are bottom dwellers, it is useless. Don't want to stress anyone out.
    Last edited by Loller; 03-05-2013 at 05:30 AM.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I've had an upside-down catfish for about 8 years, and all he does in live inside my "sunken ship" deco and EAT... i.e. I NEVER see him...

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I probably won't use these, I am pretty sure they do sometimes bottom feed, and I could stock with a better variety.