· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default DIY pond project.

0 Not allowed!
    Hey AC! So, for a good while now I have been desiring a pond in my backyard. I am a resourceful person, and after browsing the web and local stores I was very annoyed at the price of pond paraphernalia; Lining, skimmers, filters etc. So, I have decided to take on the task of building a pond with as little "pond specific" items as possible, as well as keep it as low cost as possible. I have a concept for a biological filter I devised in the lab, as well as a good idea of what the plumbing will consist of, how to build the skimmer, and the waterfall return back into the body of the pond. I hope to have the pond looking as natural as possible, basically someone picked up a pond w/ a waterfall and set it in my backyard, and plan on having it well planted. This leads into my first question, will koi eat enough of the flora for it to be detrimental to the longevity of the plant? Or, if the pond could achieve a harmonious balance between koi and plants? For a liner, I was planning on using sheets of polyethylene or polystyrene layered over carpet cushions scraps. I would then rock the bed and walls of the pond with random rocks I "found".

I conclusion, does anybody have any suggestions on how to raise the waterfall on level ground? And lastly, any suggestions on pumps to use? Basically all the green vegetation is where the pond will be, up until the beehive. (I will upload a pic ASAP)

Thank you, and bear with my English, it's from Google translate.

0 Not allowed!
    Your English(or google translate) isn't that bad...

I cannot answer all your questions, but I have heard many times that koi will shred plants, eat them and uproot whatever hasn't disappeared down their throats or is floating in the water. If you want koi with plants, you'll have to protect the plants somehow, such as planting them in a shallow zone, using chicken wire, etc.

or you could just get goldfish.

3. Default Re: DIY pond project.

0 Not allowed!
    Ok, i was afraid of that. I would much rather have plants then Koi. Do you know how channel cats live with plants?

0 Not allowed!
    Koi will eat plants however it is not allways a problem. It depends on how big your pond will be, how many koi you will have and what plants. With enough plants per koi the damage on each plant willl not be a problem since the plants can grow quicker than the koi eats them.
    Do as I say. Not as I do.

5. Default Re: DIY pond project.

0 Not allowed!
    Ok, here's a photograph of the area. As I said above, the green vegetation is where the pond will be, stopping at the beehive. Haven't figured exactly what depth, but it will be probably at its deepest 3 feet.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Awards Showcase

Friends don't let friends drink alone, and I'm there for you man - Cliff After all that virtual alcohol it's time to sober up with some virtual food - mommy1 I can't drink alone mate - ScottishFish I won't thank you because it's a thankless job 7 also I cannot find any CUC type gifts but thanks [ - 850R Cheers bud - Cliff 
    Time for a Pint? I cannae drink alone - ScottishFish Implied message here. - mommy1 Congrats MOTM !!! - Cliff Cheers! - escamosa I dunno why I'm giving you a skunkloach as your prize,. They just sound cool! :) - escamosa 
    Merry Christmas - KingFisher Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Christmas!! - ScottishFish Happy X-mas! :-) - MCHRKiller Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 
    A cup of coffee to get you going on that build. - Strider199 Merry xmas! - ScottishFish Merry Christmas - mommy1 Happy New Year - mommy1 Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 

0 Not allowed!
    DIY pond is the best way to go. as far as filtration goes, I highly recommend a garbage pail filter, especially if you're planning a waterfall feature. basically a large bucket-filter. aeonflame has a great bucket-filter writeup here on the forum. I would link it, but am in a bit of a rush right now. if thats not your style, I would build a large wet/dry trickle tower. both are easily customized to your needs and are easy DIY projects.
    Thar she blows!!!

7. Default Re: DIY pond project.

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks! Checked out that write up, very helpful. Do you know of any good links/suggestions for building a water all on level ground?

8. Default Re: DIY pond project.

0 Not allowed!
    He guys, last question for a while. Do you recommend one 1900gph pump for the pond and waterfall or two 1000 gph pumps? The overall gallonage should be right around 1500.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Depending on how you want your flow - it will be cheaper to run 1 larger pump, as long as you can achieve what you want as far as the waterfall, etc.
    I'm about to start a 300ish pond, got a 600 - 1200 gph pump, flow adjustable by inlet outlet size. Im leaving the outlet at minimum size but using maximum size hose

10. Default Re: DIY pond project.

0 Not allowed!
    Ok, so the pond is going to be about 1500 gallons, but is going to trickle down into a river about an inch deep. The distance it would have to push water will be about 70 feet including incline. I was thinking either a 3100gph, or a 4300.