· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Hybrid View

Default Plans to add pressurized CO2

0 Not allowed!
    I’m planning on adding pressurized CO2 to my 90 gallon tank so I can increasing the lighting and try to keep some of the more demanding plants that I have always stayed away from in the past.

After a lot of reading and seeing a set-ups first hand, below is how I was planning to set-up my pressurized C02. I have changed my mind on how I had wanted to set this up a few times over the past few weeks, but this is my latest plan.

The XP2 filter, heater and spray bar position is basically the same as I have it right now. The only change would be to add the diffuser and CO2 and Air lines to the diffuser. By using timers on the solenoid and air pump, I can alternate the two to match the lighting cycle providing CO2 to the plants when the light is on and O@ to the tank when the lights are off.

Just wondering what everyone would think of this plan
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I like the idea of an inline diffuser on the output of the filter. I just use the filter itself as the diffuser because my canister has the pump on the bottom where it pushes the filtered water back into the tank so that no gas is actually getting into it (if gas builds up, it would be at the top where it can't get to the pump). If you do that with a Rena that has the pump on the top I'd imagine the CO2 may damage it over time. I don't bother with an air-pump at night and have yet to see any issues by not including it (as in no fish gasping for air in the morning). You should be fine if you shut off the solenoid an hour or two before lights out then have it turn back on an hour before lights on. Overall though your setup looks fine assuming the diffuser does the job properly (I'm not familiar with the one you chose so I won't speculate). Have you chosen a regulator yet? They cost more but you may want to consider a 2-stage regulator instead of a single stage because you get more control out of them and they're also known to prevent end of tank dumps. A regulator with a high-quality needle valve is also good to have for finer tuning.

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks Funkman

I actually did order a two stage regulator due to some of the reports of the tank dumping extra CO2 out when the tank starts to get empty. I wasn't too sure how realistic that could be, but for a few $$ more I won't have to worry about that

I Had read a few on-line reviews for the diffuser which were all good to OK. I figured I would give that a try. As it goes on the return line, there is minimal risk
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]