· Pond Fish
· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Question ETA survial of a cycled tank without fish?

0 Not allowed!
    Hello everyone,

I have a 10 gallon bare bottome setup that is housing a dwarf gourami. Im running a sponge filter and an intrnal fluval nano filter. Both are are aged filters.

This Wednesday I will be taking the dwarf gourami to my monthly fish club meeting where he will go to his new home with a fellow aquarist.

My question is how long will the BB in the filters survive without fish in the tank?

I dont not want to move the internal filter because it makes a lot of noise if it is moved and it is a major PITA to get all the air out of it so it stops making noise. I also do not want to move fish to avoid any stress on them, but am willing to do so if it is necessary for bb.

The meeting i about 3 hours long will bb die off in that time? I also will bring fish back home for this tank.

Also i will be doing my weekly water change today if that makes any difference.
    Roll the Dice!

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries
    Merry Christmas! - Lab_Rat thank you for the birthday wishes - mommy1 Happy One Year AC Anniversary! - Rue For being understanding, thank you - Cliff (closest I could find to a catfish) Thanks for the nomination! - sheamurai 
    Thank you for the MOTM nomination - mommy1 I think you deserve a random gift. Yes, I think you do. - PhillipOrigami For being a fellow MA native! - Lolita Happy Birthday to you. - jeffs99dime Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    It's a Christmas Bunny, Merry Christmas. - gadget228 I've not seen anyone with an umbrella here. You seem to have an odd collection of gifts...so here's my contribution. :-) - ~firefly~ "genocidex;1139790]stupid question... but would i be able to use lawn clovers in a tank?  lol"  REALLY - Strider199 crayfish! - Brhino thanks for sharing - sheamurai 
    For filling out my school! :) - Flyby Stardancer silly rabbit... - sheamurai They say one of these a day keeps doctors away.... - Trillianne Day Two... - Trillianne Thanks for the frogbit very much :) - Greentoads41 
    World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - genocidex 

0 Not allowed!
    3 hrs isnt much time for the bb to die off. if the tank is going to be empty for more than 12+ hrs then dosing ammonia would be the thing to keep the bb alive. just like a fishless cycle type thing. only if you have no fish in there tho
    KING OF THE GOLD BARBS RAWR!!!!
    I wonder if i plant one of my tiger barbs would the demon seed grow to a full tree?
    gotta love them bunnies!
    I.R.S.: We've got what it takes to take what you've got!

0 Not allowed!
    I think it'd be fine for a few days, and you could always toss a piece of raw shrimp or something in there (do it in a mesh bag), it will rot and create ammonia for the BB

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I have read from various sources anywhere from 12 hours to several weeks of survival of BB without fish. I have left a cycling tank with no ammonia in it for 12 hours before redosing, and experienced no observable loss of BB. I would say you will be more than fine with only a 3 hour period of no fish :)

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks guys. I am always impressed with this forum and the quick responses. Now thats one thing I can scratch off my "stress" list lol.
    Roll the Dice!

0 Not allowed!
    BTW Gogi, look at what I have :)

Turns out they all found a safe place to hide on one piece of driftwood in my 55, and so I grabbed about 10 of them and got them there own 10 gallon tank. this lady is in the new tank.

No pics of tank tho since I am waiting for it to develop as a future ToTM and don't want to spoil the surprise.

0 Not allowed!
    Awesome Hardy85 I cant wait to see your 10 gallon. I love setting up nanos. I wish my gf lift the tank ban place in my apartment. Little does she know I am planning a 5 gallon desktop for my office at work ; )
    Roll the Dice!

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Why does your gf get to say what goes into your apartment? What could be the reason to not allow a fish tank? Wouldn't be better to not have your hobby in secrecy? lol
    70 Gal Planted Rio Negro Angelfish Biotope with:
    1 Whip Tail Pleco
    7 Hatchet fish
    11 Glo Light tetras, 6 Black Skirted Tetras
    6 Bronze Corys
    3 Wild Type Angelfish
    Current Plants:
    Giant Amazon Sword, Narrow Leaf Java, Val, moss on driftwood

0 Not allowed!
    i got the same restrictions lol, got lucky enough to be allowed to buy a 10g QT (with the understanding it will mostly be empty lol.

Twisted her arm on the shrimp tank lol.