· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Longfin Lace Pleco or Longfin BN Pleco?

0 Not allowed!
    Hello All

Can anyone tell me if these are the same pleco or if they are different? And if so what their differences are.
    Any time I find information on longfin lace pleco, it accompanies Bristle nosed.

However, I have bought 5 albino longfin lace plecos, in an attempt to breed them in a 46 gallon tank. And none of them are growing any bristles. except for the little one on each side of their cheeks. Are they all females or is it a different type altogether.

0 Not allowed!
    Common names are inconsistent and confusing. A few pics would allow us to sort it out for you. Tank overview and the critical water figures would be nice as well.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thank you. I will see if I can get some pics this evening when I am back at home.

However, in general, do you know if these are two different species or the same one. Long fin lace vs Long fin Bristlenose.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    The things on the cheeks are referred to as cat paws. Both sexes have cat paws. It may take 2 years for some species to mature. Sounds like L144's.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Countess Tee View Post
    Thank you. I will see if I can get some pics this evening when I am back at home.

However, in general, do you know if these are two different species or the same one. Long fin lace vs Long fin Bristlenose.
    there are about 135 species in what you call bristlenose . 2 or three regularly produce albino. A few also produce long fins.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Yup. And then a thousand or so hybrids because a lot of folks just plop in types and they spawn. Some morphs some species, it's a bit of a mess.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Indian Woods Angels View Post
    Yup. And then a thousand or so hybrids because a lot of folks just plop in types and they spawn. Some morphs some species, it's a bit of a mess.
    LOL - Well that is definitely good to know. Obviously not so clear cut!

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    longfin pleco 1.jpglongfin pleco 2.jpg

OK, Here are the files, hopefully they show up ok.
    I have a 46 gallon tank
    5 longfin plecos (that I was hoping to get one breeding pair out of)
    10 neons
    2 pearl gouramis

0 Not allowed!
    Difficult to be enitrely sure from these pictures but to me it looks like the longfin variety of Ancistrus Sp (4) that sometimes pops up. http://www.planetcatfish.com/catelog...species_id=905

Anyway, yes it's bristlenose to you and yes, these should breed. However what you have there is some fish that are, judging from the neons, barely into their teens. the'd need another 4-5 months before you can expect something. At this age it's also a bit early to sex them yet.

Since these also look really skinny my advice would be to fatten them up. Order in a few spawning caves or make your own and wait for nature to take it's course. Also get a sponge filter, make sure it works and store the sponge in your main tank. If you do get young and they have left the cave and daddy's care you'll want to keep them in a seperate breeder tank

Oh, and ancistrus don't form breedign pairs. It's not at all unusual for an experienced male to take care of the eggs of several females.

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by talldutchie View Post
    Difficult to be enitrely sure from these pictures but to me it looks like the longfin variety of Ancistrus Sp (4) that sometimes pops up. http://www.planetcatfish.com/catelog...species_id=905

Anyway, yes it's bristlenose to you and yes, these should breed. However what you have there is some fish that are, judging from the neons, barely into their teens. the'd need another 4-5 months before you can expect something. At this age it's also a bit early to sex them yet.

Since these also look really skinny my advice would be to fatten them up. Order in a few spawning caves or make your own and wait for nature to take it's course. Also get a sponge filter, make sure it works and store the sponge in your main tank. If you do get young and they have left the cave and daddy's care you'll want to keep them in a seperate breeder tank

Oh, and ancistrus don't form breedign pairs. It's not at all unusual for an experienced male to take care of the eggs of several females.
    Thank you for your response.
    They are still pretty little, but the picture is a little deceiving as the neons are close to the front of the tank and the pleco was on the back wall. They are about 2 - 2.5 inches. I have been feeding them cucumbers and algae wafers, and they have been eating them like crazy so I imagine, they will fatten up pretty nicely in short time. I also have 1 large drift wood and another small one. Plus I have two caves, and plan on putting in a few others. I do have a breeder tank that I use for some of my other fish when new ones arrive. However, I am not familiar with a sponge filter. Can you enlighten me a little? Is this an additional filter, or would I just put filter over my intake?