· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Question Does Such a Device Exist? Something to isolate food.

0 Not allowed!
    Is there such a device, like a food cage or something, that keeps larger fish out, but allows smaller fish to go in and eat food that is left in it?

I would like my otos to have their own access to their own food to monitor how much they are eating, but the tiger barbs compete for their food. If I drop algae wafers, the barbs eat them as well, even at night in pitch dark. I know this because I set up a wifi infrared camera to watch my tank at night (hoping that feeding the otos after lights out would keep the barbs from eating), but sure enough the barbs were eating the algae wafers throughout the night.

Ideally I want to put algae wafers (or blanched zucchinis/veggies) in a cage or box of some sort at the bottom of the tank that isolates them for otos to eat. If nothing like that is commercially available, I was thinking a small plastic in-tank breeder set up upside down near the bottom of the tank with just enough gap to let the otos in might work. What do you think?

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    hmm I get what you're saying but I wouldn't take this risk, they might not be able to get out once they are past the 'barrier' that keep the larger ones out.

Endangered Species 150G Journal
    Discus Grow Out 65G Journal

'No disrespect intended, but I tell it like it is.'

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I was thinking the same thing as mojo. I would just add in the flakes or whatever food is meant for the barbs first so they get full and then add in the algae wafers. My otos don't even go for the algae wafers that I toss in though because they're happy just sucking on the large rock and plants in my tank.

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries
    Merry Christmas! - Lab_Rat thank you for the birthday wishes - mommy1 Happy One Year AC Anniversary! - Rue For being understanding, thank you - Cliff (closest I could find to a catfish) Thanks for the nomination! - sheamurai 
    Thank you for the MOTM nomination - mommy1 I think you deserve a random gift. Yes, I think you do. - PhillipOrigami For being a fellow MA native! - Lolita Happy Birthday to you. - jeffs99dime Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    It's a Christmas Bunny, Merry Christmas. - gadget228 I've not seen anyone with an umbrella here. You seem to have an odd collection of gifts...so here's my contribution. :-) - ~firefly~ "genocidex;1139790]stupid question... but would i be able to use lawn clovers in a tank?  lol"  REALLY - Strider199 crayfish! - Brhino thanks for sharing - sheamurai 
    For filling out my school! :) - Flyby Stardancer silly rabbit... - sheamurai They say one of these a day keeps doctors away.... - Trillianne Day Two... - Trillianne Thanks for the frogbit very much :) - Greentoads41 
    World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - genocidex 

0 Not allowed!
    if you are worried about otos eating then just grow some algae on some rocks for them and switch out the rocks when they are cleaned. tigers wont touch algae.

on another note, i have found that my tigers will eat even after being filled. i ended up feeding my cat fish in a cave only she could fit in. had a small hole just big enough for her food to get in and one for her... made it out of some clay if i remember right
    KING OF THE GOLD BARBS RAWR!!!!
    I wonder if i plant one of my tiger barbs would the demon seed grow to a full tree?
    gotta love them bunnies!
    I.R.S.: We've got what it takes to take what you've got!

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by genocidex View Post
    if you are worried about otos eating then just grow some algae on some rocks for them and switch out the rocks when they are cleaned. tigers wont touch algae.

on another note, i have found that my tigers will eat even after being filled. i ended up feeding my cat fish in a cave only she could fit in. had a small hole just big enough for her food to get in and one for her... made it out of some clay if i remember right
    I'm thinking of growing algae as a viable solution. Another thing that might work would be to just wait an hour or so until the barbs are sleeping, then throw in the wafers and hopefully the otos will finish them off before daylight. I'm worried about overfeeding the barbs... the problem is it would be hard to guage how much they've eaten from daylight to the time I go in for their morning feeding, i.e., did the otos actually finish all the wafers at night, or was there some left that the barbs finished off?

Good thing for now is I have some tank algae (actually, I think mostly persistent diatoms with some sparse green hairy algae) the otos are eating up but it's running out.

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries
    Merry Christmas! - Lab_Rat thank you for the birthday wishes - mommy1 Happy One Year AC Anniversary! - Rue For being understanding, thank you - Cliff (closest I could find to a catfish) Thanks for the nomination! - sheamurai 
    Thank you for the MOTM nomination - mommy1 I think you deserve a random gift. Yes, I think you do. - PhillipOrigami For being a fellow MA native! - Lolita Happy Birthday to you. - jeffs99dime Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    It's a Christmas Bunny, Merry Christmas. - gadget228 I've not seen anyone with an umbrella here. You seem to have an odd collection of gifts...so here's my contribution. :-) - ~firefly~ "genocidex;1139790]stupid question... but would i be able to use lawn clovers in a tank?  lol"  REALLY - Strider199 crayfish! - Brhino thanks for sharing - sheamurai 
    For filling out my school! :) - Flyby Stardancer silly rabbit... - sheamurai They say one of these a day keeps doctors away.... - Trillianne Day Two... - Trillianne Thanks for the frogbit very much :) - Greentoads41 

0 Not allowed!
    also something that might help is spot feeding the otos. ive had better luck when the tigers dont see the food floating down the tank. just use a peice of pvc and let the waffers fall down. they might find the waffers but if done at night or when they are pre occupied then you might get away with it.

growing algae is CAKE in case you wana do it lol. old tank water + a small heater + blue lights = algae lol
    I wonder if i plant one of my tiger barbs would the demon seed grow to a full tree?
    gotta love them bunnies!

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Interesting dielema... I agree with the comment about growing some algae for the ottos. That's all mine have. There seems to be just the right balance in my planted 55g. Not that I am overgrown with algae but looks very natural. I am always checking their bellies to see if they are slightly rounded indicating that they have plenty to eat.

Oh and the spot feeding idea is a good one too. Never tried it but it sounds effective.
    Mike
    120g Mixed Reef In Progress
    120g Reef Journal
    55g Freshwater - Out of Service
    My 55g Tank Remodel Project
    72g Bowfront -Out of Service

0 Not allowed!
    Algae wafers, despite their name, contain lots of fish meal too, making them interesting for carnivores as well. If you want a food that the tiger barbs will likely ignore, why not try feeding with slices of cucumber or zucchini? A lot simpler than algae cultivation, in my opinion.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Yeah, I'm going to try zucchini. Can zucchini be a sole source of nutrition for otos?

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries

0 Not allowed!
    mix up the veggies a bit, some zucchini, lettuce, cucumber.... ye know variety would help lol
    gotta love them bunnies!