· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Hybrid View

1. Default Confused about cycling

0 Not allowed!
    Hi

I started reading about keeping tropical fish weeks ago and decided to do a fishless cycle. I went to my local aquarium centre and the chap there told me I didn't need to do that I could use a biological supplement instead, and could start adding fish a few days after getting the tank. So......

Day 1 I filled the tank. (160L)
    Day 3 I tested the water; PH 7.6, PHHR 8.2, Amonia 0.5, Nitrite and Nitrate 0.
    Day 8 Added 10 neon tetras.
    Day 10 Asked the centre about my readings and they suggested a 30% water change and to use the biological supplement for a further week.
    Day 13 Added 3 platys and 1 dwarf guarami
    Day 14 I tested the water; PH 7.6, Amonia 0.5, Nitrite 0.25 Nitrate 0

I am so confused as to whether I have cycled my tank, or is that just for fishless tanks?. What should I do now? I was going to do a 10% water change on Tuesday.

Also when I went to another centre yesterday to get the fish the boy there told me I should wash out the sponges in the filters, but then I thought I read somewhere that this contained benefical bacteria.

I would really appreciate any advice anyone can offer. Up to now I have just 'googled' my questions, but that is just making me more confused, so I thought I would ask some experts.

Thanks very much.

Chrissi

0 Not allowed!
    Firstly never take fish store employees advice as gospel. Most of them I have encountered are not very knowledgeable about fish.

I have never used instant cycle products, but I know a few members here who have used them with success. I suggest you read the sticky here on cycling with fish. From the readings, your tank is not yet cycled. Please invest in your own test kit so you can keep an eye on the progress of your tank.

You can rinse out your filter media if it becomes dirty, however this is not advised when cycling and it should only be done using old tank water or dechlorinated water.
    <-- Click for journals
    "There is no right way to do the wrong thing." - KingFisher "Only bad things happen fast in this hobby" - Cliff

0 Not allowed!
    You are def not cycled. In fact you are just beginning.

Now that you have fish in there, you need to be testing daily, and probably doing daily W/C's to keep those readings where they need to be.

As Aeon stated, please go read the sticky and they'll tell you about where you are.

You ALWAYS have to cycle your tank. There is no getting around it. The only short cut there is is to add media from an already cycled tank. That give you an instant cycle.
    130g: 6 Angelfish, 2 Roseline Sharks, 5 Kuhli Loaches, 1 Otocinslus, 1 Corydora
    I've noticed that people HATE it when you point out how stupid they are, so now I try to do it politely.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thank you, very helpful advice.

Awards Showcase

Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 and gift - mommy1 Thanks for the rep - Cliff Thanks for the rep, have a cool one on me, Cheers - Cliff Thanks and a new fish for the tank - glarior 
    Thanks for the gorgeous slide show! - fishmommie Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff It's a Sudbury Saturday Night, Cheers - Cliff Hockey finals can not be watched without a hockey pop or two - Cliff Thanks for the rep :) - Greentoads41 
    Thanks for the Rep!! - steeler1 Merry Christmas! - steeler1 Merry Christmas - Cliff May you be living as high as the holiday hog this coming year! - Trillianne Happy New Year - mommy1 
    Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 Thanks for the Rep!! - steeler1 Have a Birthday fish!! - steeler1 Here you go sir, I just wish it had been a good game. - steeler1 Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - Strider199 

0 Not allowed!
    So that being said, do you know some one with an aquarium that has been running with fish for several months? If yes, ask said person for some of their filter media or sponge and introduce it into your filter. Keep up the water changes and please think about getting your own water testing kit. It keeps you informed and it's a great piece of mind knowing your water parameters are where they are when you want to know them.
    Remember water changes done correctly wont hurt and your correct when you read that you only rinse off your filter stuff in used aquarium water never stuff out of the faucet. I have used faucet water treated with de-chlorinator instead as Aeon stated.

Don't be shy, ask away.
    Warning; Bulldog Pleco guarding my Sons tank now..

Please remember; every keystroke has a consequence.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    No sadly I dont. I am now doing daily water changes and have bought a testing kit. The amonia is 0.5 and the nitrite reading is 1.0.

Am not sure whether I should be cleaning the gravel though in my water changes. Also how long on average before a tank is cycled once there are nitrite readings?

I do feel a lot happier now that I have found this site though. Thanks.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by chrissi View Post
    No sadly I dont. I am now doing daily water changes and have bought a testing kit. The amonia is 0.5 and the nitrite reading is 1.0.
    You're on the right track. the tank is beginning to grow bacteria with those readings. You need to keep on those water changes. any t ime your ammonia and or nitrites get near .50 you need to do an immediate water change. Your goal is to keep both at around .25 while you're cycling. You'll be at this several weeks and possible a couple of months but once you get ammonia and nitrites to 0, you're cycled and you can cut down to weekly water changes.

Am not sure whether I should be cleaning the gravel though in my water changes. Also how long on average before a tank is cycled once there are nitrite readings?
    best advice is don't clean anything during the cycle. You can vac the surface lightly if you want but don't touch the filter media. After your finish the cycle (several weeks to 2 - 3 months) you can vac deep. But don't rinse your filter media in anything but tank water or you'll lose all the BB you worked so hard to grow. Many here never replace their filter media. Just rinse periodically in tank water.

I do feel a lot happier now that I have found this site though. Thanks.
    Glad to help. One other thing. don't buy any more fish until at least a month after your cycle is complete. You've already got a ton of fish in there for a cycle. The tank needs time to settle and mature a bit. adding more fish could cause a mini cycle and you'll be back to daily water changes.
    Good luck and ask more questions if you need to.
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, nerites & mystery snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: Blood Parrots, severum, Jurupari, EBJD, congos, kribs, clown pleco, snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

Awards Showcase

Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 and gift - mommy1 Thanks for the rep - Cliff Thanks for the rep, have a cool one on me, Cheers - Cliff Thanks and a new fish for the tank - glarior 
    Thanks for the gorgeous slide show! - fishmommie Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff It's a Sudbury Saturday Night, Cheers - Cliff Hockey finals can not be watched without a hockey pop or two - Cliff Thanks for the rep :) - Greentoads41 
    Thanks for the Rep!! - steeler1 Merry Christmas! - steeler1 Merry Christmas - Cliff May you be living as high as the holiday hog this coming year! - Trillianne Happy New Year - mommy1 
    Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 Thanks for the Rep!! - steeler1 Have a Birthday fish!! - steeler1 Here you go sir, I just wish it had been a good game. - steeler1 Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - Strider199 

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by chrissi View Post

Once you have nitrites at that level your usually getting close. The nitrite cycle is usually short and your bacteria will start turning the waste gases into nitrates which are less stressful on the fish and easily reduced with a weekly water change routine.
    As for cleaning the gravel, if your cleaning it with a syphon type of device, go ahead and clean up some of it. If your thinking of draining the tank and cleaning the gravel in a bucket, don't do that please. During the cycle process without any fish in the tank you normally just leave it all alone until your done (except for a water change near the end), cycling with fish takes alot more energy which you are finding out, hehehe.
    I like your reply about getting a test kit, well done! Sounds like you have it under control chrissi. Keep that energy level up, the finish line is in site.

Awards Showcase

Thanks!!! - steeler58 Happy Mother's Day! - Slaphppy7 For 7,000 posts!! - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - steeler58 For working with new fish keepers! Outstanding this month. - Taurus 
    Just Because - Surfdog A round for the fallen this Memorial Day weekend. - Compass I had no cup, so I put it on a bun... - Slaphppy7 You are amazing! So smart and giving. - SeaLady Can't give you any more rep, but well said! - steeler58 
    Thank again!! You seem to enjoy your coffee. - steeler58 Thanks for the rep!! - Compass this doesnt look like pie... not the right kind.. - Sandz for providing solid guidance to others - RiversGirl Thanks for the rep! :) - Compass 
    cheers - Fishhook Using up my winnings on my friends! - Compass No Message - Fishhook beeeeeeeer! - Sandz Bottoms up! (even though you don't drink, lol) - Slaphppy7 

0 Not allowed!
    The nitrite part of the cycle is usually the longest part, especially when cycling with fish. You must do enough water changes to keep the ammonia and nitrites levels less toxic but still present to keep the cycle moving along. Your nitrite reading is 1ppm, so you need to do at least a 75% or two 50% water changes and bring them down to .25ppm. Ammonia and nitrites need to be kept low during a cycle with fish.
    Last edited by KingFisher; 03-05-2013 at 11:45 PM.
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Strider199 View Post
    The nitrite cycle is usually short and your bacteria will start turning the waste gases into nitrates which are less stressful on the fish and easily reduced with a weekly water change routine.
    I was posting my own experience with the nitrite cycle and after some more reading and input, every cycle is different. My nitrite cycle was over in a very short time, two days if I recall. I hope yours goes the same.