· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Thread: Silver dollar

1. Default Silver dollar

0 Not allowed!
    Ok so i have a silver dollar i my 30g community tank with my tetra and bristle nose and recently i have planted it so it cuts a lot of swimming space for my silver dollar.
    I have a 55g tank with an Oscar and a pleco Oscar is only 5 inches at the moment and iv read dollars are good tank mates for Oscars but mine is so chilled i cant imagine it competing for food? what do yous think?

P.s i know silver dollars are schooling fish and i should have at least 3 but i did not know this when i first got it last year but its perfectly healthy and seems happy by himself atm, Its just an idea to move him into a bigger tank if its best for the fish.

cheers.

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries
    Merry Christmas! - Lab_Rat thank you for the birthday wishes - mommy1 Happy One Year AC Anniversary! - Rue For being understanding, thank you - Cliff (closest I could find to a catfish) Thanks for the nomination! - sheamurai 
    Thank you for the MOTM nomination - mommy1 I think you deserve a random gift. Yes, I think you do. - PhillipOrigami For being a fellow MA native! - Lolita Happy Birthday to you. - jeffs99dime Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    It's a Christmas Bunny, Merry Christmas. - gadget228 I've not seen anyone with an umbrella here. You seem to have an odd collection of gifts...so here's my contribution. :-) - ~firefly~ "genocidex;1139790]stupid question... but would i be able to use lawn clovers in a tank?  lol"  REALLY - Strider199 crayfish! - Brhino thanks for sharing - sheamurai 
    For filling out my school! :) - Flyby Stardancer silly rabbit... - sheamurai They say one of these a day keeps doctors away.... - Trillianne Day Two... - Trillianne Thanks for the frogbit very much :) - Greentoads41 
    World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - genocidex 

0 Not allowed!
    TBH the 55 will become too small for the oscar eventually. 70 gallons is the min. tank for an adult. the silver dollar would be happier in the bigger tank yes, and yes it would be happier with more SD's for a school
    KING OF THE GOLD BARBS RAWR!!!!
    I wonder if i plant one of my tiger barbs would the demon seed grow to a full tree?
    gotta love them bunnies!
    I.R.S.: We've got what it takes to take what you've got!

0 Not allowed!
    Silver Dollars are schooling fish that belong with others of it's kind or get very stressed out. Their main diet is vegetation so he will eat your plants. The tank is too small for him, as well. Plants won't work with Oscars, either. Time to go back to the drawing board.

0 Not allowed!
    I've kept silver dollars (in a school) and the only plant they didn't eat was anubias.

How long have you had it? Can you rehome it?
    "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." Carl Sagan
    ~ My 350 Litre Tank Journal ~

0 Not allowed!
    Onion plants and crypts are known to be on the safe list too. Not always tho. But these fish are fine with Oscars IF the tank was a 125 or 150 gallon. Oscars alone should have 75 and especially with a pleco in it. (Plastic plants shown below.)

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    iv had him for around 8 months in my tetra tank and he swims around with them in their school, he eats aquarian tropical flake food along with my tetras, because i also have Br's there is lots of fruit and veg going in also, so maybe hes eating it? i have live plants and he doesnt eat them (i have no idea what they are though) hes around 4 inches nose to tail.
    when it comes to the min size of an Oscar tank there is so so many different opinions i have heard from 30g-75g per Oscar and because he is only 5-6 inches i am just waiting to see what size he gets, if he then needs a bigger i will get one his current tank is 48x15x20 lxwxh but dw i am aware the tank may or may not be to small :)
    this is why i love this forum people tell you what your doing wrong and you learn from it. i will rehome the dollar :)
    cheers

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by luke-ns View Post
    when it comes to the min size of an Oscar tank there is so so many different opinions i have heard from 30g-75g per Oscar and because he is only 5-6 inches i am just waiting to see what size he gets, if he then needs a bigger i will get one his current tank is 48x15x20 lxwxh but dw i am aware the tank may or may not be to small :)
    this is why i love this forum people tell you what your doing wrong and you learn from it. i will rehome the dollar :)
    cheers
    Unfortuately, if you are going to keep the oscar in your current tank, it might never get to its full size - what's always recommended is to get the largest tank you can afford from the beginning - the other thing is to know what the potential size of a fish is and purchase a tank according to that rather than have to upgrade & move the fish.

It's like getting a goldfish when it's small, putting it in a 10gal tank and then finding out it could grow to a foot but that will never happen in a tank that small because it will be stunted.
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, green corys, 1 guppy, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT with green corys & 2 guppies

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Silver dollars themselves can get pretty big (; Also, they get much more aggressive when larger. Just be ready when the time comes.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I agree with the above posts. I've had 6 SD's before but i had them in a 140g tank which was custom made to make it shallow(ish) but very long and wide, so they had plenty of room. I can't imagine their behaviour if one of them was left alone cos they followed each other everywhere 24/7. They were also the only fish in there except for a few Rummy nosed tetras. I also found that they ate plants more when they were juvenile than when they were adults, so it's best to stick with the plastic ones.

Rehome both the SD and the oscar as you don't hae the tank capacity for either of them, let alone both together.
    Fiiiiiiiiiiissssshhhhhh!

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by luke-ns View Post
    iv had him for around 8 months in my tetra tank and he swims around with them in their school, he eats aquarian tropical flake food along with my tetras, because i also have Br's there is lots of fruit and veg going in also, so maybe hes eating it? i have live plants and he doesnt eat them (i have no idea what they are though) hes around 4 inches nose to tail.
    cheers
    When it comes to oscars, you have to consider tank size and the amount of water volume for them. Oscars can easily reach 14", with some reaching 18", so at a minimum you need a tank that is at least 18" wide (front to back). When you stock Oscars in aquarium greater than 75g, then you start to allocate gallons for them. Allocating only 30g for each oscar in a 150g tank is way too small. I would allocate at least 55g of water volume for 1 oscar in tanks larger than 75g.