· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Question Replacement Light Suggestions/Options

0 Not allowed!
    Hello everyone - first post here. I have a million different questions but I'll start with something simple.

My brother gave me his old ten gallon setup that was in the garage (100w heater/filter/gravel/fake stuff for inside); I set it up a couple weeks ago for my son and put some goldfish in it.

The only thing that doesn't work is the light strip -- it's a florescent 20" hood. It won't turn on. Tried a new bulb, still doesn't work. I assume it's the ballast or the switch at this point. Petco sells replacement ones but they cost $40 (!!). For comparison, they sell an entire ten gallon setup (tank, equipment, lights, etc) for $50. Leading me to believe that a light is actually the most expensive thing in an aquarium *sarcasm*.

I searched for a ballast and it seems like they may be $15-$20 (if that's actually going to fix it). So my question is: what are my options here? Is there a cheap place to buy lights?

I really don't want to spend $40 on a light because if I spend that much I'm going to be tempted just to get a whole new larger setup and put the money into something more substantial ... which I wanted to wait on for a little while, try my hand at aqua-scaping the small tank and see how I did ... then get something bigger if I still had the desire (75 gallon maybe).

Anyway that's my issue - hoping someone can help me out with a suggestion (aside from waiting for something promising on craigslist or at a yard sale).

Thanks!
    Damon

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries
    Merry Christmas! - Lab_Rat thank you for the birthday wishes - mommy1 Happy One Year AC Anniversary! - Rue For being understanding, thank you - Cliff (closest I could find to a catfish) Thanks for the nomination! - sheamurai 
    Thank you for the MOTM nomination - mommy1 I think you deserve a random gift. Yes, I think you do. - PhillipOrigami For being a fellow MA native! - Lolita Happy Birthday to you. - jeffs99dime Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    It's a Christmas Bunny, Merry Christmas. - gadget228 I've not seen anyone with an umbrella here. You seem to have an odd collection of gifts...so here's my contribution. :-) - ~firefly~ "genocidex;1139790]stupid question... but would i be able to use lawn clovers in a tank?  lol"  REALLY - Strider199 crayfish! - Brhino thanks for sharing - sheamurai 
    For filling out my school! :) - Flyby Stardancer silly rabbit... - sheamurai They say one of these a day keeps doctors away.... - Trillianne Day Two... - Trillianne Thanks for the frogbit very much :) - Greentoads41 
    World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - genocidex 

0 Not allowed!
    to answer your question:
    http://www.homedepot.com/Lighting-Fa...1#.UTOP-DCe5Bg

you could use something like that if you dont care about the way the outside of the tank looks. or you could go with a clamp light and cfls....

on another note. there is no species of gold fish that belongs in anything less than a 30g tank. let alone multiple ones. if you bought the 10 cent feeder gold fish then they grow over a foot in length and belong in nothing short of a 120g tank.

also from your post you didnt cycle the tank yet which means you will be running into ammonia issues and fish loss. i hate to say it but your light is literally the least of your worries
    KING OF THE GOLD BARBS RAWR!!!!
    I wonder if i plant one of my tiger barbs would the demon seed grow to a full tree?
    gotta love them bunnies!
    I.R.S.: We've got what it takes to take what you've got!

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    You can buy an LED hood at walmart for around $20. I would return the goldfish if possible, and start of with a fish that will remain smaller. Guppies, Neon tetras, Mollies, to name a few.

Since you have already added fish, do some research on how to cycle an aquarium with fish. The cycle is called the nitrogen cycle.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for both of your replies -- I appreciate having some less costly options for lighting.

As for cycling ... yea, I came to that party a little late. Sigh. After I setup my tank I went to a fish shop to get supplies and was advised just to take the goldfish to cycle ... but wasn't given really any other advice other than just feed them every other day so the ammonia doesn't go to high. No testing or even water changes were suggested. Told I didn't need to do anything with the gold fish and that it would just even out after a couple weeks.

Needless to say, has been a little sad with the loss of fish. Not happy about that. Is why I am considering just starting over using the techniques I've read about here and coming to the (new?) fish shop better educated.

I assume they are feeder fish because they were given to me for free.

Anyhow - I'll figure it out. Thanks for our help again.

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries
    Merry Christmas! - Lab_Rat thank you for the birthday wishes - mommy1 Happy One Year AC Anniversary! - Rue For being understanding, thank you - Cliff (closest I could find to a catfish) Thanks for the nomination! - sheamurai 
    Thank you for the MOTM nomination - mommy1 I think you deserve a random gift. Yes, I think you do. - PhillipOrigami For being a fellow MA native! - Lolita Happy Birthday to you. - jeffs99dime Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    It's a Christmas Bunny, Merry Christmas. - gadget228 I've not seen anyone with an umbrella here. You seem to have an odd collection of gifts...so here's my contribution. :-) - ~firefly~ "genocidex;1139790]stupid question... but would i be able to use lawn clovers in a tank?  lol"  REALLY - Strider199 crayfish! - Brhino thanks for sharing - sheamurai 
    For filling out my school! :) - Flyby Stardancer silly rabbit... - sheamurai They say one of these a day keeps doctors away.... - Trillianne Day Two... - Trillianne Thanks for the frogbit very much :) - Greentoads41 
    World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - genocidex 

0 Not allowed!
    Np. If you have a chance to just start with a fishless cycle thats ok. What they were trying to get you to do was sacrafice the goldies to a fish in cycle and in a month either cull the remainder or figure out a better place for them... Its sad ik but its been said to me several times...
    KING OF THE GOLD BARBS RAWR!!!!
    I wonder if i plant one of my tiger barbs would the demon seed grow to a full tree?
    gotta love them bunnies!
    I.R.S.: We've got what it takes to take what you've got!