· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Switchfoot's 29G Planted Aquarium

0 Not allowed!
    I've finally decided to start a journal for my 29g tank I've been working on the past few months. I started lurking around here about a year ago trying to gain an understanding of general fishkeeping and aquarium management. About that time I found a free 20 gallon aquarium on Craigslist with a really amazing chrome frame. I put a lot of effort into making that aquarium work, resealed the entire thing, polished the metal, cleaned the nasty glass, and thought I was in a good place to get things going. I successfully ran that 20 gallon setup for about five months before I started running into some issues with the aging tank. A long story short, I decided it was time for the next step.

I went back to Craigslist, this time with a bigger budget in hand, and took my time waiting for the perfect setup at the right price. I finally scored my current equipment for a phenomenal price. It's been up and running with the stock I stated in the 20 gallon for the last four months, and I'm pretty happy with the direction I've gone. However, I feel a change may be in order with a few aspects. Hopefully this journal will track the progress of whatever changes may come. I gladly accept any input, wisdom, advice, and/or concerns that may come to mind for those of you who take the time to peek in on the progress!

The Equipment:

29 gallon tank
    Aquaclear 70 filter
    Aquaclear 50 filter
    GreenMachine UV Sterilizer
    Jaeger heater
    Tetra Whisper 20 air pump/stone
    Catalina Aquarium Dual 24W T5HO lamp (6700k daylight and Colormax)

Fauna:

8 Black Neon Tetras
    5 Neon Tetras (more on these later)
    5 Dwarf Chain Loaches
    3 Julii Corys (more on these later too)
    1 Nerite Snail
    About a billion Malaysian Trumpet Snails

Flora:

Amazon Sword
    Java Fern
    Aponogeton Crispus
    Vallisneria
    Pennywort
    Water Lettuce

20140209_204204.jpg
    Last edited by Switchfoot55; 02-10-2014 at 06:07 AM.
    First 29g Tank: In process

0 Not allowed!
    That shows all the signs of a promising start. Once this grows in it will look lovely. Personally I think I'd see about moving that pipe thing next to the airhose a bit. In the current position it will take some time before the plants camouflage it.

0 Not allowed!
    Looks really good so far

I'm looking forward to more pics as your plants grow
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I am most definitely in the process of planning a rearrange of my current setup. I want to hide as much of the hardware as I can. I know some of that will come with time and more mature plants. However, I think I can be creative and clean up the back wall a bit more. The other day I found a killer piece of wood at a LFS for an amazing price...it just might be a bit too big. I left it there thinking I could go back and maybe consider it a second time...may not get a chance to if someone else snaps it up.

My current dilemma seems to be my neon tetras (as mentioned above). I started with a group of 15. Over the course of a month I lost a handful. Went back to the store and got enough to bring me back up to 15. Then last week, pretty much overnight and without any warning or noticeable symptoms, I lost 10! Absolutely no idea what happened or what could have been the cause. I started some meds right away and the remaining 5 seem to be holding strong. It makes me extremely nervous to try bringing their numbers back up again to a decent school. I'm considering other options that have some decent color, a mid-level swimmer, and known for being fairly hardy. Suggestions?

The other note from above are my Julii Corys. That mess has long since resolved. I originally started with 6. Lost one after a few weeks. Went back to the store during sale and got 3 more. I managed those 8 (and boy did they seem happy!) for a couple of months. But one by one I lost them until I was left with 3. The 3 remaining Julii's are the largest of any that I got which could account for why they're still around. I know they really need a larger school, but I'm done fighting that fight.

0 Not allowed!
    Neons can be sensetive and do best in a established aged tank. There is however also a very big quality difference in neon tetras from different providers depending on how they have been raised and if you want to try to get more I would consider getting them from another store if possible.
    Do as I say. Not as I do.

0 Not allowed!
    As to the neons, any water data?

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    If I ever decide to stock back up on neons, I most definitely will be going with another shop. I'm lucky in that I have three quality stores within 15 minutes. Lots of variety to choose from. Though one may be losing ground to the others after this neon ordeal.

My water data two days before I lost all of the neons:

pH: 7.4-7.6
    Ammonia: 0 ppm
    Nitrites: 0 ppm
    Nitrates 20 ppm
    GH/KH: 12 (if I'm running and reading the test correctly)
    Temp: 79F

I'd say those numbers are consistent for the most part. I was having some issues with high nitrates for awhile, but seem to have them back under control.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    When I upgraded to this current setup I wanted to make sure I had the equipment in place to have a decent planed aquarium. Between my fert regiment and lighting I've managed modest growth, but it has been slow at best (it could just be the plants I have are slow growers?). But the more I read the more I think I would benefit from some form of CO2. I'm sure I could budget over time for a better pressurized system, but I feel it might be worth getting things going with a simple DIY yeast setup.

My tendency is to end up reading 1000 different articles and opinions on something that should be pretty simple, ultimately causing me to have no idea which direction to head. So, before I kill myself doing that, would anyone have good recommendations for simple set up that would be effective in a tank such as this?