· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default New Owner of Black Skirt Tetras

0 Not allowed!
    I am new to the site, and new to forums of this sort, so to speak…so I apologize if I am placing this in the wrong area! We have a 10 gallon tank at present, it has been up and running for about three weeks. We just bought a 55 gallon and we plan to get it up and running in the next few days. We have just brought home four black skirt tetras and they seem very happy in their temporary 10 gallon home – we actually noticed that they are all a much darker black, and more 'shimmering' as compared to when we first picked them out (which hope is a good thing?!). My question is this: we have an Aqua Clear Power Filter, and one of the tetras continues to swim in and get "thrown out" by the pressure, yet he keeps going back for more…we have it on the highest setting, is this where it should be, or should we have it lower |(e.g. high-medium; medium; medium-low; or low?). For the most part, they are all hanging out on the left side of the tank, which is where the heater is located…maybe the tank is not warm enough? We have a thermometer, and it reads around 77
    Last edited by Tasha; 03-03-2013 at 01:51 AM.

0 Not allowed!
    What size is your aquaclear? My ten gallon has an AC30 on it that I keep on the highest flow setting. This is not too much for my little neon tetras. The one that keeps going back for more may just like riding the current.

It is a great sign that their colors are more vibrant than they were. Your temperature is within the normal range for black skirts. The ones that are hanging out on the heater side could be stressed because they are not in a large enough school and they don't have the space they need in the ten gallon.

You will want to get them moved over to that bigger tank as soon as you can. Also remember that they need a school, minimum of six, but twelve would be much better. What tank mates will join them in the 55? How do you plan to cycle it?
    ~Manna
    10 gallon live planted aquarium with 6 neons
    90 gallon fw community in progress

0 Not allowed!
    Actually, come to think of it, is the ten gallon cycled? I just assumed that the three weeks that it was setup prior to adding the black skirts was for cycling, but want to make sure.
    ~Manna

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Yes, we have had the 10 gallon up and running for about 3 weeks , we brought in some live plants (with some snail stowaways…though not bad yet, only three or four that we can see…we are assuming there are way more than we know in the gravel!). We just introduced the tetras tonight.

0 Not allowed!
    Did you add ammonia to the ten gallon during the 3 weeks you have had it running? Or did it just run without anything added to the water?
    ~Manna

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    We had ammonia and ph checked, and all was good.
    Last edited by Tasha; 03-03-2013 at 02:40 AM.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I'm pretty sure it is a 30 – this is what we were told was good for a 10 Gallon tank…sound okay?

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by CrunchyLeaf View Post
    What size is your aquaclear? My ten gallon has an AC30 on it that I keep on the highest flow setting. This is not too much for my little neon tetras. The one that keeps going back for more may just like riding the current.

It is a great sign that their colors are more vibrant than they were. Your temperature is within the normal range for black skirts. The ones that are hanging out on the heater side could be stressed because they are not in a large enough school and they don't have the space they need in the ten gallon.

You will want to get them moved over to that bigger tank as soon as you can. Also remember that they need a school, minimum of six, but twelve would be much better. What tank mates will join them in the 55? How do you plan to cycle it?
    Sorry - I think I have posted this twice, my apologies...VERY new at this!! however - I'm pretty sure it is a 30 – this is what we were told was good for a 10 Gallon tank…sound okay?

0 Not allowed!
    An AC30 is a great filter for a ten gallon.
    Here's the concern I have. If you let your tank run for three weeks, but did not test water parameters and dose the tank with ammonia, your tank is uncycled. It would be great for you to read both the stickies in the cycling forum about cycling with and without fish. Your ammonia test mat have appeared to be normal at the fish store because there weren't any fish in the tank to create ammonia. Did they test nitrates and nirites?

Check out those cycling threads. You might be best to return the black skirts and compete a fishless cycle on the tank before putting anything in it. I know it sucks, but you and your fish will be better in the long run.
    Last edited by CrunchyLeaf; 03-03-2013 at 04:11 AM.
    ~Manna