· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Hybrid View

1. Default best prefilter material?

0 Not allowed!
    I have a fine (0-1mm) sand substrate in my freshwater tank and I am worried about sand getting sucked into the filter intake.
    What would be the best material to make a prefilter out of to cover the filter intake?
    Or could I just raise the intake to mid tank level rather than low down near the substrate?

0 Not allowed!
    I find that 3 inches of the sand already helps a lot. A sponge, coarse to medium helps with prefiltering plant material. A fine sponge would be needed to keep sand out but then you'd be restricting your flow quite a bit.

0 Not allowed!
    I have a VERY fine grade pre-filter on mine and I did find it reduced flow rate quickly. However, I have a great fix for this! Basically: put the pre-filter sponge on the intake, sliding it right on so the tube intake it snug against the bottom of the hole in the sponge. Then, when it's in position, slide the sponge down a bit (depends how long it is) to create a good "pocket" of space inside - between the end of the intake tube and the bottom of the hole inside the sponge. This will now not impede the flow rate to any significant degree.

I rinse my sponge thoroughly every week. It takes ten minutes of vigorous scrunching in a measuring jug under s running tap to clear it. Worth it though as I've not opened my cannister in two months and have crystal clear water.
    "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." Carl Sagan
    ~ My 350 Litre Tank Journal ~

0 Not allowed!
    Simple solutions are often the best. Wonder why that pocket of air makes such a difference though

0 Not allowed!
    It's a pocket of water (no air). I imagine that when the intake is flush with the sponge material it blocks up at that intense suction spot and that's what impedes the flow. When it has space, the suction is spread to a much larger area through the sponge and "sucks" water in from more directions (all around the sides rather than just against one small surface) so it's more effective. I think I could explain it well with a diagram.
    "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." Carl Sagan
    ~ My 350 Litre Tank Journal ~

0 Not allowed!
    A cheap diy prefilter, buy an aquaclear 20 sponge (usually comes in a pack of 2 for around $2), cut a X into the sponge with a knife (even a butter knife works) and jam the filter intake the sponge.

Also could just raise the height of the intake so it isn't so low to the ground that it'll pick up sand that gets stirred up.

Oh there are ready made prefilters that fit onto filter intakes. Usually the strainer comes off and an prefilter hooks on there. Shouldn't cost more than a few dollars, not sure.

0 Not allowed!
    Certainly sounds plausible.

You'd get the same result if you drilled some holes in the last few inches I think.. hmm.... got some pondering to do on this.