· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Hybrid View

1. Default Betta flaring causing ragged tail... what to do?

0 Not allowed!
    I thought my betta had fin rot as his tail became ragged soon after I bought him so I moved him to a hospital tank and his tail started getting better, so I put him back in my main tank but now I think it is getting worse again.

In the hospital tank I have no light and he never once flared, however when the tank light is on in my main tank he catches sight of his reflection a lot and flares, so it seems to me his damaged tail is being caused by him regularly flaring. I have tried to disguise his reflection but I still have to keep my room light on at night or he will flare at the front of the glass.

What can I do about this? I dont want to take him back to the shop as I love his and his personality, but I cant treat his tail as I dont have room to set up the hospital tank permanently.

29 Gallon: Veiltail Betta, White Cloud Minnows, Neon Tetras, Honey Gourami, Rummy Nose Tetra, Bolivian Ram, African Dwarf Frogs, Amano Shrimp

6.4 Gallon: Halfmoon Betta

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    He might also be flaring at the other fish. Some bettas are simply too aggressive for community tanks. He may settle down after awhile, though.

Tail fins usually would not generally get ragged from flaring, though, so I would suspect another cause: tail biting, fin nipping by the other fish, or water quality.
    "The Dumpster Tank" 26g flat back hex - Betta albimarginata, corydoras, checker barbs, pork chop rasbora

"Nano Fish Tank" 20g long - Celestial Pearl Danios, microrasboras, Corydoras habrosus

"Mbuna Tank" 75g - Ps. saulosi, I. sprengerae, M. pulpican, M. joanjohnsonae

"Time Out Tank" 29g - dominant male Cynotilapia sp. "hara"

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by nikelodeon79 View Post
    He might also be flaring at the other fish. Some bettas are simply too aggressive for community tanks. He may settle down after awhile, though.

Tail fins usually would not generally get ragged from flaring, though, so I would suspect another cause: tail biting, fin nipping by the other fish, or water quality.
    + to this. I was thinking the same thing. Could someone be nipping his tail? All that beautiful finnage can quickly become a target.
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, pair kribs, & nerite snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted: EBJD, congos, apple snails
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

0 Not allowed!
    My guess would be lighting. Betta do not really care for bright lights, and often they can make a mirror effect against the walls of the glass on the inside, making them think they are constantly in the presence of another male Betta.

Is the tank heavily planted? If not, you could try placing in more plants, either real, or plastic to break up the views of the glass.
    2 10 gallon tanks, 1 20 gallon tank, 1 Fluval Edge, 1 29 gallon tank, and one backyard pond.