· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Peppered Corydoras Eggs - Care?

0 Not allowed!
    My peppered cories spawned again last night. When I got back from work today I saw there were still a few left (the barbs hadn't seen these in the undergrowth). There were only about six but I managed to pick them off the glass and drop a few in my uncycled, 15litre moss tank. I'm guessing their chances of survival are poor...especially as I only have three viable ones after squashing the others (whoops). Clumsy oaf.

I do imagine that if they hatch they'll be sucked into the filter anyway...hmmm...

But...for future egg collecting...what should I be doing?
    "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." Carl Sagan
    ~ My 350 Litre Tank Journal ~

0 Not allowed!
    If you aren't willing to culture live foods, I would not attempt to raise cories from eggs. Even if the chances of death are much higher in the main tank, at least they will be able to find stuff to eat. My own strange solution to this problem: if I find eggs or very young cories, I will place them at the very bottom compartment my eheim canister filter, which is just a media less space with lots of gunk collecting. The bottom of a mature canister filter is probably a paradise for newborn cories as the is lots of Mulm and microorganisms, but no predators. Once they reach approx. half an inch and can be weaned onto dry foods I take them out and raise them on. This will only work with filters that have their media in between the intake and the impeller because otherwise you will get baby Cory bits instead.
    Last edited by madagascariensis; 03-01-2013 at 10:47 PM.

0 Not allowed!

I don't think I will be very successful then will I? Oh dear. They are destined to remain snacks for my cherry barbs then! I've had babies grow up in a large planted tank before but I had nothing to do with that.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I take the eggs and use a flat razor blade to remove them. I place them into a clean 2.5 gallon aquarium with 10ml of hydrogen peroxide added, about the flat cap full on a small container of it. After they hatch and start swimming about after a week or so I place in a well cycled small sponge filter A hydro sponge #1 I think. I feed them using Sera Micron powdered food. They grow fast and you can progress them to pre soaked golden pearls or micro pellets fairly quickly.

0 Not allowed!
    There is a chance then. I don't have any hydrogen peroxide - would that kill plants?

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    You don't add it to your tank. You set up a small tank like a hatch out or a QT tank. You can use the drug store stuff 3% H2O2 you add it the first day and then not again. Yes it will damage live plants. It dissipates in 18 to 24 hours and is harmless to the egg in the casing. It kills all bacteria, good bad or other wise. This is why you wait to add the sponge until the little fish hatch out. That and because bacteria want to eat the egg yolk.

0 Not allowed!
    Ah, interesting. I can't do that then. I'm only putting them in my planted 15 litre as an experiment. The tank is for plants more than it is for eggs.

0 Not allowed!
    Instead of peroxide you can also use Esha2000. One, possibly two drops on 15 liter will be plenty and not hurt your plants.

A mature sponge is a safe way to filter and will provide grazing grounds to the fry.

0 Not allowed!
    Well, this morning there is at least one fry in the tank (from two or three viable eggs which I cannot see anymore). It's so tiny! Only briefly saw it before it disappeared. There is lots of bunches of moss in the tank now (removed from my shrimp tank) so hopefully it'll find stuff to eat and not get sucked into the filter. I'll do a PWC tonight as the filter isn't cycled.

0 Not allowed!
    Be careful with that WC. For every fry you see there's 4 you don't see.