· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default How to get a Green Spotted Puffer Fish to eat Ghost Shrimp

0 Not allowed!
    I have two GSP's in my tank I have had them for over 3 months and are living in brackish water along with a pleco. Anyways, they have been healthy and come up the tank when hungry. Yesterday I skipped the feeding and bought them some ghost shrimp. My littliest GSP (Puffer) snapped at the Ghost Shrimp but when the Ghost shrimp jumped my puffer swam off. The big GSP (Cheetah) is not even interested in the Ghost Shrimp. How do I get them to realize they are food and to eat them? I bought a lot and put them in my snail breeding tank so I would really like them to eat them so I am not stuck with 20+ Ghost shrimp. Any advice would be very very helpful. Thank you :)

P.s. My tank is fine and fish are healthy, they are in a 40 Gallon tank till my GSP get bigger then I already have a 100 gallon tank but waiting till they are bigger since Cheetah is berly 2 inches and Pleco is about the same size.)

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Leave the shrimp in there long enough with no other food offerings and the gsp will soon find the shrimp tatsy if not especially nutritious. there is almost zero nutritional value to a ghost shrimp for puffers,they need snails. Plecs do not belong in brack conditions.

2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by kattastorphy View Post
    I have two GSP's in my tank I have had them for over 3 months and are living in brackish water along with a pleco. Anyways, they have been healthy
    Which probably cannot be said for the "pleco". I don't know which of the 1200 species of loricariidae you have but I don't think any of them are happy in brackish. Some of them are really resilient though.

and come up the tank when hungry. Yesterday I skipped the feeding and bought them some ghost shrimp. My littliest GSP (Puffer) snapped at the Ghost Shrimp but when the Ghost shrimp jumped my puffer swam off. The big GSP (Cheetah) is not even interested in the Ghost Shrimp. How do I get them to realize they are food and to eat them? I bought a lot and put them in my snail breeding tank so I would really like them to eat them so I am not stuck with 20+ Ghost shrimp. Any advice would be very very helpful. Thank you :)
    )
    Not really their typical food. If you insist, leave them in until the fish go hungry.

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries
    Merry Christmas! - Lab_Rat thank you for the birthday wishes - mommy1 Happy One Year AC Anniversary! - Rue For being understanding, thank you - Cliff (closest I could find to a catfish) Thanks for the nomination! - sheamurai 
    Thank you for the MOTM nomination - mommy1 I think you deserve a random gift. Yes, I think you do. - PhillipOrigami For being a fellow MA native! - Lolita Happy Birthday to you. - jeffs99dime Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    It's a Christmas Bunny, Merry Christmas. - gadget228 I've not seen anyone with an umbrella here. You seem to have an odd collection of gifts...so here's my contribution. :-) - ~firefly~ "genocidex;1139790]stupid question... but would i be able to use lawn clovers in a tank?  lol"  REALLY - Strider199 crayfish! - Brhino thanks for sharing - sheamurai 
    For filling out my school! :) - Flyby Stardancer silly rabbit... - sheamurai They say one of these a day keeps doctors away.... - Trillianne Day Two... - Trillianne Thanks for the frogbit very much :) - Greentoads41 
    World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - genocidex 

0 Not allowed!
    i would continue to feed them their normal food, eventually they might find the shrimp to be no threat and chomp them away. but the snails is your best bet for food. they are slow and dont react violently light the shrimp do... and the puffers really need the shell to grind the beak.

also to not in your snail tank, make sure theres enough calcium in the tank water. this is crucial if you are using them for food for the puffer. would also be a good idea to keep the snails in similar water conditions as the puffers. so the dont die from shock. if you need to add some calcium think about adding a wedge of cuttle bone into the filter. you find it in the bird section and it worked great with my RCS and all the snail breeders love the stuff. its super cheap too
    KING OF THE GOLD BARBS RAWR!!!!
    I wonder if i plant one of my tiger barbs would the demon seed grow to a full tree?
    gotta love them bunnies!
    I.R.S.: We've got what it takes to take what you've got!

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I had a bunch of ghost shrimp in a brackish 40 with my green spotted puffer as I upped the salinity to full marine slowly. He ate one now and then but the snails are better. I also fed the ghost shrimp a small pieces of algae wafer now and then to gut load them. The little pig eats all kinds of food from crabs, crab pellets, ghost shrimp, table shrimp, squid, mussels, and snails. I'm gonna try some baby octopus next.
    Last edited by Roach; 05-26-2014 at 09:41 PM.