· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Hybrid View

1. Default Do boesmani rainbow fish ever have a black stripe?

0 Not allowed!
    I was given a rainbow fish by someone and they said it was a boesmani but it is different from other boesmanis I've seen. It has a black stripe that runs the length of the body with yellow above the stripe and white (which is turning blueish) below the stripe and has orange and yellow fins. I'm wondering if juveniles all look like this since the fish is an inch and a half or is it not a boesmani. Also if it is a boesmani or if it is something else could it cross breed with my group of turquoise rainbows?

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Sounds like a cross or a female from one of the brighter populations. Some of the more colorful populations females are really colorful. Most likely a cross though.

0 Not allowed!
    Boesmanis are of the genus menalotaenia - a distinguishing characteristic of that group is a dark lateral line. It's generally not seen on boesmanis though. I doubt that's what it is. Juvis look like small adults. There are a lot of species in the genus - can you post a pic of the fish?

Awards Showcase

No Message - Ms. Namazu starting the round off - Hardy85 The more the merrier...cheers! - Slaphppy7 I are as drunk are not I think are you. - Sandz fishies - Hardy85 
    The fishies are coming! the fishies are coming! - Sandz This round's on me... - Slaphppy7 For being a good sport, objective and one of the most respectful people on here.  Cheers, brother. - KevinVA For being a good sport, objective and one of the most respectful people on here.  Cheers, brother. - KevinVA cheers man - mojosodope 
    Heck, it's 5 o' clock somewhere... - Slaphppy7 Everyone loves pie. - Honey Badger 1 Nice work my friend - Honey Badger 1 nice work! have a beer! - Crispy lol, someone had to say it. - KevinVA 
    Thanks for the rep, and for all your help! - wgoldfarb Merry Christmas - mommy1 Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 Happy New Year - mommy1 Hey Longshot, haven't seen your mug around here lately.  Hope everything's ok! - KevinVA 

0 Not allowed!
    I wish my camera was fast enough to catch my rainbows, but I have a male and a female, the male has a darker lateral line- blue in front orange behind. The female has more subdued coloration and her line isn't as dark, but they both have a noticeable streak. It's kind of bluish black.

0 Not allowed!
    If they look like this, it's a male bosemani. If it's all gold, it's a female. Colors are more intense during spawning.