· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Hybrid View

1. Default Microbubble issue....

0 Not allowed!
    Hi everybody - I have a 125 gallon tank that I've had set up for over a week now, and a few days ago I noticed the tank looked cloudy. I stepped back a few feet and the tank looked crystal clear. When I moved close again it began to lkook cloudy. When I got up real close, I could see that it's millions of tiny bubbles (I think they're bubbles, anyway) circulating through the tank making it look cloudy.

I have two filters on the tank, a Fluval FX5 and an Aquatop CF-500. I have a couple of air bubblers, but neither of them are anywhere near the intakes for either filter. Just to rule it out, I turned off the air pump for a few hours, but nothing changed. I could see that the concentration of bubbles was higher at one end of the tank than the other (the side with the FX5). If I get up close I can see the bubbles coming out of the output from the FX5.

My question is this: Is there any way to tell how air is getting into the filter (or if that's what the problem is)? The connectors for the intake and outputs are well below the water line. I've taken the hoses off of the canister and taken the lid off and put it all back together....still the same. I did the same with the Aquatop just to cover all of my bases, so now I'm pretty much out of answers. anybody have any similar issues? Any ideas for a fix?

It's not a problem right now, as the tank is cycling and I don't have any fish in it yet, but I'd like to address it now while I have time to deal with it. Thanks in advance for any help/ideas!

I'll try and get some photos of it tomorrow if I can...

0 Not allowed!
    You've got a huge amount of filtration on that tank. I can imagine that it will generate a lot of flow. If the spraybars are over the water then that explains the issue. Have you noticed any difference if you switch off either filter? Is either making any noise? Did you try rubbing vaseline on the rubber seals?

0 Not allowed!
    Are you sure you got all the air out of the cannister of the FX? I have a fluval 305 and if I don't prime the cannister completely, I get tons of tiny bubbles coming out. I need to make sure to do a complete priming job before I turn on the filter.
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT
    Remember: Our job is to take care of the water our fish live in

0 Not allowed!
    I just ran into a problem like this for one of my canisters. Try checking your hose connections. You could be bringing in air from a loose connection (that might not be seemingly loose).
    Adventures in Aquaria - The KevinVA Story

When in doubt, ask yourself... W.W.L.S (What would Lee Say)?

Have a fish problem? Fill out and post this completed questionnaire in the General Aquarium Forum, when you start a new thread.

0 Not allowed!
    Yep! It's either air being sucked in somewhere. Sometimes that manifests as noise. Or it's air that got trapped in the last maintenance and is very slowly coming out.

0 Not allowed!
    If you have air pockets in your cannisters you can normally tell by giving them a sharp tip (of an inch or so) to one side and then letting them right. The little jolt normally releases the air and a large stream of bubbles will exit the filter. If I ever open up my huge cannister filter (only every few months these days) I always need to do this after priming and restarting it. It'll be noisy for about half an hour with bubbles escaping, but then it'll run silently (albeit with a slight hum from the motor).
    "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." Carl Sagan
    ~ My 350 Litre Tank Journal ~
    ~ My 30 Litre Tank Journal ~