· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Requesting suggestions for low-maintenance plants

0 Not allowed!
    With a busy schedule forecast for next year, I'm on the lookout for "low-maintenance" plant options to fill out a few non-planted spots in my tanks. Fore/mid/background suggestions are all welcome. I'm not looking for floating plants though.

My tanks are 20G and 30G, both with about 2.6 W/g of T5HO lighting in the plant-friendly spectrum. No CO2. I dose with Seachem Flourish and Potassium weekly, and occasionally Trace. I'm not using Excel currently.

What I mean by low-maintenance: plants that generally stay put, don't get too big, and don't require frequent trimmings. For example, stem plants that need to be trimmed/replanted frequently, or plants that produce runners, are disqualified. Obviously, some maintenance from time to time is necessary, but ideally this would be just a quick trim (without having to replant) or cutting off a few old leaves. Some good examples are sword plants and crypts, of which I have several and they are great, but I'd like to have more diversity. Also, I'm not looking for java fern or Anubias species.

Any recommendations would be much appreciated.

0 Not allowed!
    There's a few good suggestions in the below

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=4074
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks for these. I ended up getting some (more) swords, Crinum, and Aponogeton species. I also believe that "low-maintenance" and "easy/beginner" plants have some overlap but are not necessarily synonymous. If a beginner plant grows like a weed, that could actually take up a fair amount of maintenance time (trimming it, removing runners, replanting stems, making sure it doesn't take over the entire tank or block off light to other plants, etc.) Certainly, high-tech/demanding plants would not be "low-maintenance" either though. Maybe there's a sweet spot.
    Last edited by biotsrama; 03-06-2013 at 05:32 AM.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Some of those plants listed might overrun your tank with no trimming, but if little maintenance includes a little trimming every once in a while, like once every 3 weeks maybe, then You have your low maintenance tank.
    Last edited by Greentoads41; 03-06-2013 at 05:39 AM.
    Tanks: 30 gal community and 10 gal shrimp/community
    Journals Here

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Yeah, definitely a little maintenance/trimming here and there is necessary. It's not like I will be ignoring the tank just won't have as much time to devote to it as in the past.