· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

0 Not allowed!
    Okay... Sorry, I didn't mean to sound quite so harsh in that last comment. I'm pleased you're trying to make the right decisions -- your fish will really thank you for it. I'm only trying to help because I had a DISASTER with loaches in one of my tanks when I had not long started out. I got 4 Yoyo Loaches and they wiped out all my bottom-dwelling stock in my 65g tank in just a few days -- 2 BN Plecs and 12 Julii Cories. It took me a long time to want to try to keep loaches again after that but they are a very rewarding fish if kept properly. I didn't keep them in a big enough group and I chose to buy them even though I was warned they weren't very tolerant of other bottom dwellers -- I just don't want you to have to make the same mistakes.

If you go with Dwarf Chains I'd go for 8 since they are so small. These can be expensive because they're Critically Endangered in the wild. They're my favourite fish though, I have them in a 45g planted tank with the same dimensions as yours.

Zebra Loaches should be the same price as Angelicus, they're about the same or cheaper here. If you go for Zebras I would go for 6.

There are other suitable loaches for your tank -- did you read the link I gave you on the first page? If you have Golden Zebra Loaches, Botia histrionica, available these would be suitable, as would Ladder Loaches. Best bet is to go look at your LFS, write down the names of loaches you see and some back here to see if they are suitable. Stay away from Skunk or Blue Botia -- these are NASTY!

With Dwarf Chains you should have no problem keeping an Angelfish, however I would not risk an Angelfish with Zebras. A Gourami will do just fine.

What other fish do you like?
    Last edited by Amelia; 03-03-2013 at 12:01 AM.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I really like ghost catfish. If this meant no gourami or angels, it would be fine as long as I can get another fish. also guppies, some rainbowfish, preferably ones that reach a max of 2" and some non aggressive fish that have like a stripe through them and it is red in frond of its body. I think it is called like a denisons barb or something. The place that might sell the zebra loach or dwarf chain usually charges alot): I'll call them soon and ask for the price.

0 Not allowed!
    I would really really really advise against getting loaches if you're that intent on the Glass Cats, they're very timid and nervous and the loaches would just freak them out too much. If you're really intent on the Glass Cats you could plan a whole peaceful tank around them -- dimly lit with lots of plants. Some male guppies would do okay with the Glass Cats, and maybe a school of Panda cories on the bottom. You'll probably need a school of dither fish to encourage the Cats to come out during the day, otherwise they'll probably just hide. Cherry Barbs or Cardinal Tetras would be a good option and add a splash of colour. Glass Cats are very prone to infection or disease so you'll have to have a very strict maintenance regime.

Denisons Barbs get too big and are too active for a 3-foot aquarium. You might light Rummy-Nose tetras if you like them though, and these would be good dithers for the Glass Cats. CLICK HERE FOR PICTURES.

Most Rainbowfish get too big for a 50g, but Neon Dwarf Rainbows would be ideal and would also go very well with the Loaches. CLICK HERE.

Did you have a look at the species I suggested earlier? You might like colombian tetras, diamond tetras or Giant Danios.

So what about either:
    - 10 Glass Catfish
    - 15 Cherry Barbs OR Cardinal Tetras OR Rummy-nose Tetras (these are your dithers)
    - 3ish male Guppies
    - 8 Panda Cories

OR if you want the loaches:
    - 6 Zebra Loaches
    - 12 Dwarf Neon Rainbows
    - 1 Gourami

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I'm actually not too interested in the rainbows... There was a diffirent kind that maxed at 2" and I thought I could just get 2 of them. Anything semi aggressive that I can put with the loaches... After all, semi aggressive are supposed to be with semi aggressive. But not barbs... My friends angelicus gets along with his red tailed shark very well, would it be the same with zebras or dwarf chains?

Just in case, if I can't get dwarf chains or zebras, would 4 angelicus do, I have the other 2 first on the list, but I need to know just in case. A small answer will do.

0 Not allowed!
    All rainbows are schooling fish, so no, 2 would not do.

My rainbow shark attacked my loaches relentless and I had to give him away to the first person that would take him. Wouldn't recommend it.

I really wouldn't, I don't think 3-feet is enough space. Zebras are pushing it as it is.

I'm done, you don't seem to like any of my suggestions.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    you are going all over the place with this stocking.

we've said it time in and time out that your desired loaches do not fit in a tank that small.

so no again, and again, 4 won't do. 1 wont do. what will work in your tank is not stocking them and slowly killing them by stunting their growth.

+1 to ameliaahx on every point she has made.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Ok... Will the dwarf chains work? If not, I'll just get the smallest possible loaches I can find and stock the rest. It may have to be the angelicus, because I want to have some type of snail-eating loach. Not too worried anyway, but thanks for the suggestions, I will use them. When I do start it, I'll say.

I will plant it, and add lots of hiding places for whatever needs them, so don't think I'm going to put a crappy tank. You might not like the fish choices, but I will make it a comfortable tank for what I get, trust me.

Whether you think this thread was pointless or not, it helped me a lot so thanks.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by mizzoutank View Post

gourami-in a 50, i wouldn't risk more than one. they are very territorial as well. I had 1 in my 45gallon (the dwarf species, and known to be more calm) and he was the most active and protective fish i've ever owned. anything he saw was in his space and just chased other fish relentlessly.
    How could you possibly think that a gourami would work in a 45 gallon tank??? they are native to small slow moving streams, ponds, and lakes. If you don't have a small slow moving stream, pond, or lake why would you subject the gourami to such a cruel punishment. Also, these bodies of water which they naturally inhabit are native to Asia. Just to be on the safe side, and if you really want a gourami, I would buy Asia, do a 50% water change, run a fishless cycle for 20-30 years, then introduce a juvenile gourami. You will still need to upgrade as the gourami grows, but this should give you a start.
    My witness is the empty sky - Jack Kerouac

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottiePippen View Post
    How could you possibly think that a gourami would work in a 45 gallon tank??? they are native to small slow moving streams, ponds, and lakes. If you don't have a small slow moving stream, pond, or lake why would you subject the gourami to such a cruel punishment. Also, these bodies of water which they naturally inhabit are native to Asia. Just to be on the safe side, and if you really want a gourami, I would buy Asia, do a 50% water change, run a fishless cycle for 20-30 years, then introduce a juvenile gourami. You will still need to upgrade as the gourami grows, but this should give you a start.
    Care to share how 45gallons is cruel punishment to a dwarf gourami?
    I'd love to hear this..

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    @scott: I have 10 gourami, and lots of other tropical fish in my pond, it is 8 or 9 feet long, they are always moving, and they haven't fought 1 time in a whole year. Some are 2 inches, and my biggest are 5 or 6. I have never seen them run into a wall or anything that hints them not having enough space.
    I moved one of my dwarf gouramis to the pond, and you can barely even see it. The water is clear btw. It is just so tiny. There's no way I would waste room on 1 big gourami anyways. I'm gonna base it around the loaches, hopefully I can find dwarf chains for under $20 each, because if not, I'm gonna just stick with angelicus or zebra, which will still be ok if I make some good caves and a nice environment. But if the angelicus do get 5 inches in the future, I can always buy a 4 foot 75 gal.

By the way, what gourami are you talking about??? Some max at 2, others at 4, some at 6 or 8, and the ones in the[B]wild[B]can get more than 1 foot.