· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Is this a good deal on a 150?

0 Not allowed!
    Hey, whats up guys. I just recently got bit by the fish bug and I already want a larger tank. I was wondering how you felt about this post I came across in craigslist. There's not really any places to buy large aquariums in my town and this will be my first large aquarium. Any input is valuable.

Clicking on the picture helps to view it better. I'm not very good at posting on forums yet. Thank you for your time.

Sorry, I couldn't get the picture to work properly so here is the info. 150 gal Aquarium with stand. Fluval canister filter, 2 heaters . I still have it set up with 2 clown loaches 3 big angel fish ,2 sword tails & 2 catfish. buyer welcome to take fish as well. 600$
    Last edited by Cichlidman; 03-02-2013 at 10:50 AM.

0 Not allowed!
    Whether or not that's a good deal depends on the price. How much is it?
    "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." Carl Sagan
    ~ My 350 Litre Tank Journal ~

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Just added the price apologies. 600$

0 Not allowed!
    If everything is in exceptional condition and the stand is nice I'd say that was fair. Huge tanks like this selling second-hand in the UK are often cheap as not many people want them (or can move them) so my opinion is with that in mind. Might not be a fair assessment in the US.
    "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." Carl Sagan
    ~ My 350 Litre Tank Journal ~

Awards Showcase

Happy Christmas - MuckyFish thanks for advising on vegetables for my kribs! so here is a discus - ScottishFish You help a lot - PhillipOrigami For the bank account, and thx for the rep - Cliff beautiful discus! - Crispy 
    I know this doesn't help but it's all I can do! - chrisfraser05 for all the wise advice you've given me - fishmommie Congrats on 2000th post! - andreahp Merry Christmas! - fishmommie Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    Thanks for the rep :-) - ~firefly~ appreciate it. - fishmommie Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾̃̾)۶ - korith For all the good advice you give. - ~firefly~ 
    Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff thanks for the rep points.  appreciate it - fishmommie happy friday! - mojosodope Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ Thanks for the rep! - steeler1 

0 Not allowed!
    Can get a tank and stand for close to that around here (but what do they run in a store for you? Ignore the cheap hoods most are displayed with - that is an item you need to consider closely. This is important - are the hood/lights high end (i.e. correct type wattage and color temp for your goals (plants? or just show?)) If so, that changes things a good bit (price good hoods and for a 150 - you are in for a shock) - high end hoods are rather expensive for a tank that size; cheap ones are essentially junk and will cause algae issues later.

Also, is most of the equipment high end (heaters aren't cheap, either but low end ones are close to junk - see if a brand name.) The canister is not high end but should work (if large enough - a single canister sounds far too small for a 150. I would think you would need at least one more; esp. if you add more fish.) Note that you will need to getting that filter up and running within 24 hours so the bacteria does not die off.

The fish are another issue - very large angels are not cheap and even then, still take time to grow to really large size - but do you want them? They dominate a tank and restrict what can go in (but that may not be an issue for you.)

Still, wanting your own tank means that either you just want any nice show fish like this (a display that you look at but aren't too worried about) or do you want to create your own special fish display that means something to you - a specific species only, or a special mixed type that appeals to you or even salt (a lot of work) or even, possibly, with a 150 - discus (sorry, no angels then.)

Getting presuppied fish limits or if you were aiming for angels, anyway, aids you depending on your objectives. Also, moving a pre-setup tank is far more work: bagging & transporting the fish; cleaning out and then VERY quickly, setting up the tank so the fish don't end up dead; and maybe saving the substrate (heavy and maybe far too heavy if left in the tank; either case, most likely very dirty.)

This is not a small effort and time is critical once you buy the tank/fish; not like starting your own, but the plus is it is cycled; that, however, is a down side because you are then forced to act fast to setup before die-off (bacteria and/or fish.)

Finally, impulse buys for such a large tank might be an issue - a 150 gal is a lot of work over the life of the fish. A beginner sometimes does not realize how hard it can be; changing water is a bear for a 75 gal - a 150 is in a class all by itself. How will you handle that and what amounts and how often will you change the tank's water. Do you have a plan on how this will be done? The weight of a 150 gal is close to 1400 lbs - will the floor support this? All issues to think clearly about before paying for the tank. Best of luck - a 150 gal is a really nice sized tank that few people ever own (cost/work!) but can be rewarding if you plan well and are ready for the work!
    Last edited by Cermet; 03-02-2013 at 11:36 AM.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cermet View Post
    C
    The fish are another issue - very large angels are not cheap and even then, still take time to grow to really large size - but do you want them? They dominate a tank and restrict what can go in (but that may not be an issue for you.)
    !
    It also comes with clown loaches and catfish. I'd be worried indeed about those tank busters.

On the plus side, it is a lovely long tank

0 Not allowed!
    Looking at it, I'd think it was a decent deal, no steal and I'm sure you could find a better deal.

Usually on stuff like that you have to assume the worst, that you will have to buy a new filter, or heater etc etc.

If I were you I'd wait, or check the craigslist for anywhere with an hour or two drive for any other tanks.

You would probably need / want to rehome the fish to start fresh (unless you like them) and could probably work out a small amount of store credit at a local fish place.

0 Not allowed!
    If it is a good deal or not really can depend on where you live.

Where I live, that would be a pretty fair deal. I would suggest comparing this listing with others about a 2 hour drive from were you are. That would give you a better idea of how fairly priced this is.

You would also have to factor in what you would do with those fish should the seller make them stay a part of the deal
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

Awards Showcase

Friends don't let friends drink alone, and I'm there for you man - Cliff After all that virtual alcohol it's time to sober up with some virtual food - mommy1 I can't drink alone mate - ScottishFish I won't thank you because it's a thankless job 7 also I cannot find any CUC type gifts but thanks [ - 850R Cheers bud - Cliff 
    Time for a Pint? I cannae drink alone - ScottishFish Implied message here. - mommy1 Congrats MOTM !!! - Cliff Cheers! - escamosa I dunno why I'm giving you a skunkloach as your prize,. They just sound cool! :) - escamosa 
    Merry Christmas - KingFisher Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Christmas!! - ScottishFish Happy X-mas! :-) - MCHRKiller Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 
    A cup of coffee to get you going on that build. - Strider199 Merry xmas! - ScottishFish Merry Christmas - mommy1 Happy New Year - mommy1 Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 

0 Not allowed!
    I would offer $400 and see what happens. keep in mind you'll possibly want to upgrade certain things (filter, lights). $500 would be my top-end price if big tanks are tough to get in your area.
    Thar she blows!!!

0 Not allowed!
    I recently spent a long time going through classified ads looking for a new tank. I learned that people always ask way too much for used fish tanks. They know how much it cost new and so they think they can get some fortune for it used.
    Here's the guideline I followed for what I was willing to pay. $1 per gallon for the aquarium if it holds water and doesn't have any large unsightly scratches or chips. $1 per gallon for the stand if it's a cheaper fiberboard or $1.50 per gallon for higher quality wood in great condition. Then for lights, filters, heaters and other equipment I offered 50 - 75% of the retail price depending on condition.
    There were a lot of people that I called and made offers to that were offended by my lowballing for their tank, but I told them all I understood and just asked them to save my phone number.
    Lo and behold 2 weeks later I had one of the guys call me practically begging me to buy his tank. I told him his equipment was really outdated and that I'd have to buy new and he knocked an extra $50 off the price. So I scored a 90 gallon tank, stand, full canopy and light with undergravel filter (ick) for $150.
    ~Manna
    10 gallon live planted aquarium with 6 neons
    90 gallon fw community in progress