· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Awards Showcase

Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 and gift - mommy1 Thanks for the rep - Cliff Thanks for the rep, have a cool one on me, Cheers - Cliff Thanks and a new fish for the tank - glarior 
    Thanks for the gorgeous slide show! - fishmommie Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff It's a Sudbury Saturday Night, Cheers - Cliff Hockey finals can not be watched without a hockey pop or two - Cliff Thanks for the rep :) - Greentoads41 
    Thanks for the Rep!! - steeler1 Merry Christmas! - steeler1 Merry Christmas - Cliff May you be living as high as the holiday hog this coming year! - Trillianne Happy New Year - mommy1 
    Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 Thanks for the Rep!! - steeler1 Have a Birthday fish!! - steeler1 Here you go sir, I just wish it had been a good game. - steeler1 Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - Strider199 

Default Need advice on a new lighting system

0 Not allowed!
    I am now seriously looking to invest in a new lighting system to cover my 48 inch long 55 gallon reef tank.
    I have searched the web and want to have an LED system with a full canopy. I really don't like the glass cover. I have firefish which are notorious jumpers.
    I have looked into DIY kits sold on the web and I don't mind building my own light and canopy but like everything else in life, if it's already out there and won't cost an arm & leg, I'll check it out.

Please educate me on which set-up my soft corals and fish would "pop" under.
    Thanks in advance.
    Warning; Bulldog Pleco guarding my Sons tank now..

Please remember; every keystroke has a consequence.

0 Not allowed!
    I would offer the same suggestion as before. If your willing to invest the cash, two AI SOLs would provide the best quality of light. You could get glass tops and the AI mounting kit. Nice and easy. I even have these lights on my 120 gallon FOWLR because the lighting is that good, IMO.

http://www.aquaillumination.com/sol/

Second choice, IMO, a four bulb T5HO with one 12,000 K bulb, two 22000 to 20000K superblue bulbs, and one fuji purple

I would suggest glass tops with both options
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

Awards Showcase

Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 and gift - mommy1 Thanks for the rep - Cliff Thanks for the rep, have a cool one on me, Cheers - Cliff Thanks and a new fish for the tank - glarior 
    Thanks for the gorgeous slide show! - fishmommie Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff It's a Sudbury Saturday Night, Cheers - Cliff Hockey finals can not be watched without a hockey pop or two - Cliff Thanks for the rep :) - Greentoads41 
    Thanks for the Rep!! - steeler1 Merry Christmas! - steeler1 Merry Christmas - Cliff May you be living as high as the holiday hog this coming year! - Trillianne Happy New Year - mommy1 
    Thank you for the birthday wishes. - mommy1 Thanks for the Rep!! - steeler1 Have a Birthday fish!! - steeler1 Here you go sir, I just wish it had been a good game. - steeler1 Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - Strider199 

0 Not allowed!
    I remember Cliff, at $399.00 per unit with 2 units on the tank that adds up. I was looking into the DYI kits for Cree and Phoenix Kits, it would cost around $300.00 total to cover the 55 gallon with LED's. I solder well.

0 Not allowed!
    OK, I think you can even get Cree LEDs with solderless connections as well

All the store made canopys that I have seen (and the one I bought for my 55 gallon) all had worked with glass tops. A canopy like that should be easy to put DIY LEDs in. Maybe a place like Big Als could order in a canopy for you. They used to carry them in there Brampton Ont location. Might be worth a phone call.

Have you found a controller that you would like to use with your LEDs ?
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    I have not really found a controller yet Cliff, but it has to be dimmable. I was looking at the Hyperon 700mA 40w. I was expecting the drivers, controller,LED's, heatsink, cooling fan, epoxy, and wire to be included in a Kit.
    I'll be checking out the Oakville reef Gallery soon to see what they have to offer. They seem to be into reef equipment but their web site doesn't give you any real info on their stock.

0 Not allowed!
    I was at the oakville reef gallery about 1 1/2 years ago

Bring a bib

Your going to see some really nice corals

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Alright, me and a bib will post the outcome. Thanks Cliff.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    How fancy and DIY do you want to get?

What kind of corals are you looking at or have?

Your budget is ~$300?

To start if off quick... You can get cree LED's that are solderless and work great from rapidLED.com I have bought least a hundred of them and still need another 80 for my setups. There are different routes you can go for the drivers and power supply. You can get drivers down to $5-$10.

How good are you at electonrics?

For the heat sinks 3/4" aluminum c-channel will work great for the LED's. If you have a torch you can buy alumi-weld from harbor freight and weld the aluminum together... its easy. Or you can rivit them... and other ways.

I would add 6 different colors to the LED's so you can create a full spectrum setup.

Like I said... how far you want to go with this? :-)
    300g + 240g in wall build! - Follow Here
    120g SW Reef, LED lights, cool fish and corals!

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    My solder skills include soldering together smart chip loaders and glitchers, soldering jumpers to mother board chips which requires the use of a magnifying lens, soldering the wire harness installs on my families trailer and cars, sound systems, you get the point.
    The corals I have in the tank at the present time include Green star polyp, blue waving hand, and 3 frags of zoanthid's. All low light corals but I want to expand to hard corals.
    I am looking at covering a 55 gallon with probably some 35 to 40 LEDs (is this enough to light a 4 ft 55 gallon tank?), with royal blue and white LEDs. Now if there are other colours (you say 6 glarior) please let me know what they are. Moonlight blue would be another one I suppose?

Price wise, around $400.00 max.

I will have to read up about drivers and controllers which I have only glanced over at this point. I was looking for an all-in-one kit type which could be bought but it looks like these things are more, here is our equipment, order what you think you need. lol

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    Went to the Oakville Reef Gallery store today, it is an awesome place for corals and inverts. I decided to buy my new lighting system there. It's a r420r 160w three panel with Cree LED's. Many programmable features on this unit. It cost a bit more then I wanted to spend but the owner said it will grow any coral out there in the hobby.
    I am still finishing up my weekly water change and will install it on the tank soon.
    Oh I also picked up a blood shrimp from the Burlington Reef Shop. Been waiting for that shipment to come in for two weeks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast