· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Adding sand substrate to a gravel tank

0 Not allowed!
    Hi,
    I have a 100L tank at the moment with pea sized gravel but on changing my ideas on stocking the tank I would like to keep corys when I do stock it (currently doing a fishless cycle) and so I would like to include sand in the tank. I do not want to completely replace the gravel with sand, rather push the gravel to one half of the tank and fill the other side with sand so i have both sand and gravel to have a bit of variety and keep all the tank inhabitants happy :)
    Is this kind of thing possible? and what is the best way to add the sand to the tank? I have 0 experience with sand so dont want to just pour it in or something and then it sprays all over the tank. I would also rather not drain the whole tank as I dont want to mess too much with the plants/ornaments and am halfway through a fishless cycle.
    This is my tank below, I was thinking of sweeping the gravel from the left side to the right and filling the left side with sand as the filter intake is on the right and sand on the left would minimise risk of sand intake and impeller damage.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Awards Showcase

Happy Christmas - MuckyFish thanks for advising on vegetables for my kribs! so here is a discus - ScottishFish You help a lot - PhillipOrigami For the bank account, and thx for the rep - Cliff beautiful discus! - Crispy 
    I know this doesn't help but it's all I can do! - chrisfraser05 for all the wise advice you've given me - fishmommie Congrats on 2000th post! - andreahp Merry Christmas! - fishmommie Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    Thanks for the rep :-) - ~firefly~ appreciate it. - fishmommie Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾̃̾)۶ - korith For all the good advice you give. - ~firefly~ 
    Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff thanks for the rep points.  appreciate it - fishmommie happy friday! - mojosodope Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ Thanks for the rep! - steeler1 

0 Not allowed!
    I see nothing wrong with your approch; I did the same procedure when I added gravel to my sand substrate (and UGF units. The gravel is the underlayer for the sand - really works well. Never thought it would work in the lon grun but does even with vacuuming.)

Getting the substrate all to one side is easy and I did not remove my discus (but I did move a lot of wood and fake plants for each side.) That all said, you do realize this will do little for the corries - they will also work over the gravel and damage their whiskers, anyway. I still think the sand/gravel will look fine but if you are just doing it to spare the corries I'm not sure it will help much.
    Last edited by Cermet; 02-27-2013 at 11:27 AM.

0 Not allowed!
    OTOH it's a lot better than not doing it. You'd need some kind of boundary between the gravel and the sand otherwise it will mix. Pebbles work.

As to sand, pool filter sand is nice and convenient, needs no rinsing. I'd take a large plastic soda bottle, rinse it well. Cut of the bottom and you got a funnel to make it land where you want it.

Awards Showcase

Happy Christmas - MuckyFish thanks for advising on vegetables for my kribs! so here is a discus - ScottishFish You help a lot - PhillipOrigami For the bank account, and thx for the rep - Cliff beautiful discus! - Crispy 
    I know this doesn't help but it's all I can do! - chrisfraser05 for all the wise advice you've given me - fishmommie Congrats on 2000th post! - andreahp Merry Christmas! - fishmommie Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    Thanks for the rep :-) - ~firefly~ appreciate it. - fishmommie Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾̃̾)۶ - korith For all the good advice you give. - ~firefly~ 
    Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff thanks for the rep points.  appreciate it - fishmommie happy friday! - mojosodope Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ Thanks for the rep! - steeler1 

0 Not allowed!
    "I'd take a large plastic soda bottle, rinse it well. Cut of the bottom and you got a funnel ..." tallductie, now that is clever! +1 to that!

0 Not allowed!
    Yeah, shame it occured to me right after I did a major top off. Ah well, next time...

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    brilliant idea with the plastic bottle! thanks!
    If I put sand in the whole tank so the entire substrate was a mix of gravel and sand, would this be safe for corys to use??

Awards Showcase

come on in and sit a spell...welcome - SeaLady Thanks for the thumbs! - Slaphppy7 just because - cm12setx for surrving dinner with in laws - cm12setx doing a great build on your tanks! - SeaLady 
    Heres to new fish!!!! Yay - SeaLady Congrats on the new fish! - Slaphppy7 Thanks for all the thumbs up! - steeler58 T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 for playing the cory game - cm12setx 
    For being my "rock" star, LOL! - Slaphppy7 you have come to the dark side:) mah haha - aquariumlover10 for cycling your tank - cm12setx For almost completing the cycle of 2nd tank - afro123 Congrats on the cycled tank! - Slaphppy7 
    T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 TGIF. - cm12setx Thanks. - mommy1 TGIF indeed! - RiversGirl TGIF! Have a drinkie drink! - Compass 

0 Not allowed!
    I have the same question... would it be safe for corys (and/or loaches) if you mix the small gravel and sand, with the ratio being more sand than gravel?

Awards Showcase

TGIF Indeed!!! - Compass TGIF It's Miller time and my lawn is mowed :P - Taurus Sorry for your loss :( - steeler58 To renew your energy from posting so much.  :) - WhistlingBadger TGIF back at you ;-) - steeler58 
    TGIF - showmebutterfly TGIF...too bad it only comes once per week :-) - Taurus TGIF indeed! - RiversGirl TGIF -- and TFAYH (thanks for all your help!) - wgoldfarb TGIF! - Compass 
    My first gift goes to you, hope you like the rummy nose :) - fish gazer Thanks so much. - metweezer here's to 14,000 posts :) - steeler58 For a Super-good idea! - Rue TGIF back at you :) - steeler58 
    TGIF!! - steeler58 TGIF!! - steeler58 TGIF indeed - RiversGirl TGIF back at you! - Taurus TGIF back to you! - wgoldfarb 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady 

0 Not allowed!
    Should be fine, yes...it'd be better to start your own thread, though, and let us know more about your set up
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal

40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by showmebutterfly View Post
    I have the same question... would it be safe for corys (and/or loaches) if you mix the small gravel and sand, with the ratio being more sand than gravel?
    This post is relative to this current thread. I see no harm since user is researching the web.

Awards Showcase

TGIF Indeed!!! - Compass TGIF It's Miller time and my lawn is mowed :P - Taurus Sorry for your loss :( - steeler58 To renew your energy from posting so much.  :) - WhistlingBadger TGIF back at you ;-) - steeler58 
    TGIF - showmebutterfly TGIF...too bad it only comes once per week :-) - Taurus TGIF indeed! - RiversGirl TGIF -- and TFAYH (thanks for all your help!) - wgoldfarb TGIF! - Compass 
    My first gift goes to you, hope you like the rummy nose :) - fish gazer Thanks so much. - metweezer here's to 14,000 posts :) - steeler58 For a Super-good idea! - Rue TGIF back at you :) - steeler58 
    TGIF!! - steeler58 TGIF!! - steeler58 TGIF indeed - RiversGirl TGIF back at you! - Taurus TGIF back to you! - wgoldfarb 
    Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - steeler58 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - aquariumlover10 Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - gronlaura Breast Cancer - Birth Parents - SeaLady 

0 Not allowed!
    This "current" thread is nearly 16 months old.
    10 Gallon Beginner Tank... Journal

40 Gallon Breeder: ... Journal