· Pond Fish
· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default I absolutely can't believe this. Getting ready to resilicone my 125 gal and...

0 Not allowed!
    as I'm doing the final prep and wiping down the inside joints with acetone, I hear three loud pops which turn out to be the top plastic frame splitting in three places. Two didn't separate so much and one did, although all three were all the way through.

This was the larger one. Tank is upside down on the stand.

So, just to be absurd I'll ask...is it possible to run a 125 gal tank with this type of damage, or does this cracked top frame necessarily need to be replaced? All three breaks were in the middle of the longer sections of the frame and none were too close to a cross support.

Top view...

I've been told my tank is an Aqueon brand. The glass measures exactly 18" x 72" and the top and bottom frames are two inches tall.

If it's at all possible to replace the top frame then I might as well do both. Anyone know where I should look to purchase these frame parts? Thanks.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Not familiar with your particular tank, but from the photo the broken bits are trim, not structural, and possible a bit of araldite or putty may do the job. Having said that, its worth trying to work out what made it crack - that could be structural

0 Not allowed!
    I would contact the manufacture and ask them.

In many cases, those top frames provide structural support for the tank otherwise the manufacture would not go through the extra expense of adding them

I would suggest replacing that frame pc before filling it with water. You might also be able to order a replacement frame pc from the manufacture as well
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

0 Not allowed!
    Sounds like it's time for a frame replacement. I just had to do that on a 55 gallon. I checked where I purchased my frame and they don't list any in sizes over 48" tho. Cliff is right to call Aqueon. They may tell you how to get one. They once told me any store that carries All Glass (now called Aqueon) would order me one.

Sorry about this because it really is a problem. If you can't replace that frame, you may have to use the tank for something else. Snakes, hamsters, lizards, etc, or sell it to someone for that purpose. Sounds to me as you picked this tank up used since it needed new silicone, too? Who knows. Perhaps it may leak, as well, and you would not be able to use it anyway.
    Last edited by Lady Hobbs; 02-27-2013 at 02:26 PM.

0 Not allowed!
    PS........Check out Vivariums and Paludariums. It would take a change in plans but some of them are very cool with part water and even no water. Good options to a large tank that is unusable.

0 Not allowed!
    I saw a YouTube instructional video on resealing aquariums that says to always take the top frame off before resealing as small stress points in the glass can crack it when the silicone is removed. Possibly that is what happened here?
    Did the tank sit for an extended period of time in between when you removed the old silicone and went to put in the new?
    If you are already taking the time to reseal I'd def replace the frame if you can find one. Not worth risking a 125 gallon flood.
    ~Manna
    10 gallon live planted aquarium with 6 neons
    90 gallon fw community in progress