· Pond Fish
· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Hello. Is this Fin Rot? Been treating for a while but still the same.

0 Not allowed!
    Hello guys,
    I was wondering if you may help me with a problem that I have. I have one Oranda in a 80 Litre tank at the moment, he seems to have developed one thick red line (no streaks) on his left Pelvic Fin. I have been treating him with a King British Fin Rot Medicine for around 10 days now and there seems to be no improvement (or decline) at all. The water is in perfect parameters, crystal clear etc. Does anyone know what it might be? If anyone can help me I would really appreciate it.

Warmest regards,

Bobo

Awards Showcase

Happy Christmas - MuckyFish thanks for advising on vegetables for my kribs! so here is a discus - ScottishFish You help a lot - PhillipOrigami For the bank account, and thx for the rep - Cliff beautiful discus! - Crispy 
    I know this doesn't help but it's all I can do! - chrisfraser05 for all the wise advice you've given me - fishmommie Congrats on 2000th post! - andreahp Merry Christmas! - fishmommie Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    Thanks for the rep :-) - ~firefly~ appreciate it. - fishmommie Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾̃̾)۶ - korith For all the good advice you give. - ~firefly~ 
    Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff thanks for the rep points.  appreciate it - fishmommie happy friday! - mojosodope Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ Thanks for the rep! - steeler1 

Question

0 Not allowed!
    Why you consider that the fish has 'fin rot' is not clear to me; also, fin rot occurs with poor water conditions - you need to post the ammonia/nitrite/nitrate levels for the tank rather than say they are perfect. Makes it hard on us to help.

When did you last clean (rinse out with tank water, not remove anything!) your filter and how much and how often do you change the water?

Without a picture, I'd say that your fish is suffering from an internal infection and needs some type of (gram neg or pos) antibiotic. But that is guessing. Consider a pic, if possible. If all else fails, consider higher temp and 1 tsp/5 gal of salt.
    Last edited by Cermet; 02-25-2013 at 10:29 AM.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Hello.
    thank you very much for the quick reply. I assume it is Fin Rot as I can not find any other problems which look similar to the one on my fish. As I mentioned it is only one perfect line going down the fin with no tears or more streaks. The Oranda eats very well swims well with that fin etc. My parameters are as follows: PH 6.8, Ammonia 0.0, Nitrite 0.0, Nitrate 19ppm. The last time I changed any water or items in the tank was 12days ago (I change 20% water every 7 days normally). Not sure if it may be related but I have some of those moss balls in the tank around 5 of them (they are genuine, not ping pong ball versions) I have no gravel and no live plants except for the moss balls. As for the picture I will try and take a pic but I have a bad camara and may not be able to take a good pic.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by bobo1234 View Post
    Hello.
    thank you very much for the quick reply. I assume it is Fin Rot as I can not find any other problems which look similar to the one on my fish. As I mentioned it is only one perfect line going down the fin with no tears or more streaks. The Oranda eats very well swims well with that fin etc. My parameters are as follows: PH 6.8, Ammonia 0.0, Nitrite 0.0, Nitrate 19ppm. The last time I changed any water or items in the tank was 12days ago (I change 20% water every 7 days normally). Not sure if it may be related but I have some of those moss balls in the tank around 5 of them (they are genuine, not ping pong ball versions) I have no gravel and no live plants except for the moss balls. As for the picture I will try and take a pic but I have a bad camara and may not be able to take a good pic.
    Although I am also unable to determine what is wrong with your fish, may I recommend that you change more than 20% of your water weekly - try 50% every 2-3 days or so. When a fish is showing symptoms of illness/distress, its best to increase your water changes. Also, I'm not familiar with a nitrates reading of 19ppm - most liquid tests test at 10ppm, 20ppm, etc. Are you using a liquid test kit or strips?

Your moss balls are most probably not the cause of the problem. BTW how long has this fish been in the tank?
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, green corys, 1 guppy, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT with green corys & 2 guppies

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Hello Anreahp, thank you very much for the reply, I am very sorry it was a type error, it is indeed 20ppm. In your opinion shall I continue with the fin rot treatment? The Oranda seems very happy and moves very well, eats well etc and there is no rot or tears on the fin. Can fish get colour in the fins along with thier main body too? I have had the fish in the tank for around 9 months now and is around 5cm to 6cm long.

0 Not allowed!
    Honestly, if there don't appear to be any obvious symptoms of "fin rot", thre's no reason to keep putting the meds in the tank. It's possible that whatever you're using might kill the beneficialbacteria in the filter & meds deplete oxygen in the water.

I would wait & see if the coloring increases or if the fish begins acting ill - hiding, not eating, staying in one part of the tank all the time, etc. - but increase those water changes & siphon your substrate - goldfish produce more waste than other fish that needs to be removed.
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, green corys, 1 guppy, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT with green corys & 2 guppies

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Hello Andreahp, thank you for your help, I have stopped the medication and am doing a 50% water change every 3 days along with siphoning dirt/poop) I have drawn a picture of the Oranda, as I can't get a good picture at all with my camara. I have uploaded it just in case anyone else can shine any info on it. Thanking everyone in advance.
    oranda_zps4c06c1ab.jpg

http://i1338.photobucket.com/albums/...ps4c06c1ab.png