· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Awards Showcase

Because your not cool unless you gift yourself. - Carapar56 In memory of the one you lost. - Strider199 ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾̃̾)۶ - korith The fishies are coming! the fishies are coming! - Sandz Are you old enough to drink?  Oh, well, For JJ's fish! - gronlaura 
    Discus and Beer! - Sandz Merry Christmas - mommy1 Sorry for your loss - KingFisher Sorry to hear of the old girl's passing - ~firefly~ Happy New Year - mommy1 
    Sorry for you loss, wish this was real. - steeler58 Congratulations on your 100th post! - fishmommie Thanks for the Rep! - steeler58 
    Gay and Lesbian Pride - Carapar56 Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Carapar56 Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - Carapar56 HIV/AIDS - Carapar56 Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Carapar56 

Default Has she gone blind?

0 Not allowed!
    Well for the past year I was worried about my blue gourami as she's been having issues with her eyes. At first I thought it was the result of dirty water, but even with the 20% waters changes I do every 2 days she still has eye issues. In one eye the pupil looks broken, or cracked, in the other her pupil is almost white. The issue is only the pupils. Not the eye itself. They eyes don't puff out at all, she still swims, although she does need to use her feelers more, her color is still alright, and she still eats, even though it takes her a hot second to locate the food. She's almost 7 years old. She's the only fish in a 10 gallon tank, which yes I know is too small but she was sort of my first mistake fish (I got her when i was 10 years old and went through ALL the rookie mistakes with her, somehow she's still alive.) I have a 20 and 55 gallon tank, but both don't have all the necessities to be set up. I mean I have a filter and heater that would work for the 20 but I don't have a stand or lighting.

My parameters are 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, and about 10ppm nitrates.

What I'm asking really is there anything I can fix that's causing her eye issues, or is it simply old age? I mean I have read that they're only supposed to live to be 4 or 5 years old. And this summer she'll 7 years old. So could it be the old age?

Awards Showcase

Because your not cool unless you gift yourself. - Carapar56 In memory of the one you lost. - Strider199 ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾̃̾)۶ - korith The fishies are coming! the fishies are coming! - Sandz Are you old enough to drink?  Oh, well, For JJ's fish! - gronlaura 
    Discus and Beer! - Sandz Merry Christmas - mommy1 Sorry for your loss - KingFisher Sorry to hear of the old girl's passing - ~firefly~ Happy New Year - mommy1 
    Sorry for you loss, wish this was real. - steeler58 Congratulations on your 100th post! - fishmommie Thanks for the Rep! - steeler58 
    Gay and Lesbian Pride - Carapar56 Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Carapar56 Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - Carapar56 HIV/AIDS - Carapar56 Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - Carapar56 

0 Not allowed!
    Well disregard my question, even though everyone ignored it. My Gourami is starting to show signs she's on her last fins. Her pupils are both completely hazed over and white and she's slowing down. She's struggling to swim, and is swimming in short bursts then rests on the gravel or hovers in place. She ate earlier and her colors are still beautiful, hell she's even showing some gorgeous oranges and yellows on her fins. She's also swimming almost sideways, very tilted. She can't hold he self straight up anymore. I think this is going to be one of her last nights. She lived a long life, 7 years give or take. There is little I can do as her water is near pristine. I guess its just getting close to her time.
    Last edited by Gesp56; 02-28-2013 at 12:15 AM.

0 Not allowed!
    7 years is a long time for a gourami to live. I agree that its most likely old age catching up.
    <-- Click for journals
    "There is no right way to do the wrong thing." - KingFisher "Only bad things happen fast in this hobby" - Cliff

0 Not allowed!
    Blue gouramis supposedly average about 3 years in captivity, and the lucky ones get to live till 5, so 7 years is super old. Also, while a 10 gallon is way too cramped for a gourami for swimming space and territory needs, it's should be large enough to maintan good water quality for a single fish. Pretty sure it's old age and nothing you can help with :(

Awards Showcase

0 Not allowed!
    I'm positive it is her age as well. Like I said she was my first fish, I got her when I was 10. I made EVERY rookie mistake with her. For years I never knew about cycling and never cycled the tank, and for cleaning I took her out and cleaned it all out with soap, destroying my cycle if I had one, like all other newbies do. I always used dechlorinator and she had an ENORMOUS crypt that was in her tank with her, and I mean huge(the thing reached the surface of the water and spread nearly a 1/3 across the tank), so maybe that helped in some way. I'm just very, very surprised she made it this long. She's gone through many of my mistakes and lived through fin rot, and ich and parasites. She honestly shouldn't have made it this long, but some how she did. I just hope she goes quickly and doesn't suffer.