· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Default Question About Defusing CO2

0 Not allowed!
    I am getting ready to set-up my first pressurized CO2 system on my 90 gallon and I am trying to decide the best approach to properly defusing the CO2 into the tank water

I have been reading about how some hobbyist have the CO2 injected directly into the intake of a canister filter. In theory it sounds like a good idea as more of the CO2 can get dissolved into the water while the water flows through the filter. From what I have read, the pH would have a larger impact on the bacteria in the filter than the extra CO2 in the water, so in threory, it could work as long as I did not allow the pH to drop

Just wondering is anyone here has ever tried this and if it resulted in a loud filter or trapped air/CO2 around the impeller
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

0 Not allowed!
    The problem with that method is that the water flowing from the filter comes out at or near the top of the water level in the tank, and therefore most of it offgasses before it has a chance to circulate in the tank. When you use a reactor, you place it 2/3 of the way down from te top of the tank so it stays in the water longer. I have also read that the CO2 is bad for the rubber seals and impellor of your filter.

Liters to Gallons conversion calculator

"Keeping fish for any period of time doesn't make you experienced if you're doing it wrong. What does, is acknowledging those mistakes and learning from them." ~Aeonflame
    "
    your argument is invalid." ~Mommy1

0 Not allowed!
    I never read about the effects on the seals

Thanks Kingfisher

Sounds like it would be best just to get a traditional defuser
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

0 Not allowed!
    A reactor is much more efficient and you can easily make one DIY if you want. All you need is a powerhead and a water bottle.

Liters to Gallons conversion calculator

"Keeping fish for any period of time doesn't make you experienced if you're doing it wrong. What does, is acknowledging those mistakes and learning from them." ~Aeonflame
    "
    your argument is invalid." ~Mommy1

0 Not allowed!
    I will look into that as well

Thanks Kingfisher

0 Not allowed!
    I think I might something like the either of the two below ones. Seam easie enough and I could use the maxijet 1200 powerhead that I already have in my spares closet. Seam like it could also be easy enough to keep out of site behind a large pc of drift wood

WARNING: you may want to turn down the volumn on your PC before watching this below video

0 Not allowed!
    I made one with a different design.

<-- Click for journals
    "There is no right way to do the wrong thing." - KingFisher "Only bad things happen fast in this hobby" - Cliff

0 Not allowed!
    Nice vedio Aeonflame, thanks for posting it. That looks easy enough for me to build

0 Not allowed!
    It works well because a jet of water is shot through the Co2 and then swirls around the inside of the bottle. This increases the surface area of water being exposed to the gas before it is returned to the tank.
    <-- Click for journals
    "There is no right way to do the wrong thing." - KingFisher "Only bad things happen fast in this hobby" - Cliff