· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Default German Blue Ram Behavior

0 Not allowed!
    Hey guys,

I've been observing my two GBRs over the last couple of days and noticed some odd/interesting behavior. First, I saw a physical change on the male. He developed a black spot on his forehead - something he didn't have before. At first I was worried, but then saw pictures of other GBRs and they had several of them like that. I'm assuming he's becoming mature.

That being said, I noticed this behavior from the female yesterday: http://www.kevinbush.com/gbr-pair-female-acting-funny/

Today, I saw a complete change with the way they interact with each other, which is leading me to believe that either one of them is ready to mate and the other isn't, or they just don't like each other and I'm seeing the beginnings of territorial disputes.

On a fairly typical day, these two will follow each other around and stay in the same position. They usually hang out by the rock caves I created, and also a single standing, smaller rock in the corner of the aquarium. That's where the video took place. Today, I saw them stare at each other... for a relatively long period of time. It looked like they were eyeing each other up... then one of them would swim closer (or charge, as it were - they are "rams," after all), they'd circle each other and kind of smack each other with their bodies. Then they'd separate, stare at each other again, for a long period of time, and repeat. It ended with the female being chased away into a different corner of the tank, when the male returned to his corner.

At first glance, it would look like territorial disputes, but I honestly don't know enough about GBRs to make that call.

If anyone has any ideas, I'd really appreciate your insight.

Thanks,
    Kevin
    Adventures in Aquaria - The KevinVA Story

When in doubt, ask yourself... W.W.L.S (What would Lee Say)?

Have a fish problem? Fill out and post this completed questionnaire in the General Aquarium Forum, when you start a new thread.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I'm NO help but I think it sounds really intriguing. Couldn't get your video to play ... not sure if it's my PC or the link.
    Are you hoping for a mating pair???
    30 g FW planted:corys, ABNP, blue angel, harleys, zebra danios, pair kribs, & nerite snails
    15 g FW planted: crown tail betta, neons, snails
    90 g FW semi planted:severum, EBJD, congos, royal pleco
    90 Gal Journal: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=93939
    Fishless cycling: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ead.php?t=5640
    Cycling with fish: http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/aqua...ad.php?t=36492

0 Not allowed!
    Not sure I should be hoping for anything, knowing my luck. lol It'd be nice to have a mating pair, though. A real shot in the dark, too, since I only bought these two, together, and no others. =X

I'm going to start a Youtube channel... it's a pita to get anyone to see my vids. haha

Have a fish problem? Fill out and post this completed questionnaire in the General Aquarium Forum, when you start a new thread.

0 Not allowed!
    Your rams are testing each other out to see if they want to form a pair or not. If they do you can expect them to lay their eggs on that rock they were cleaning off. They will just wait until the female is plump and full of eggs. You can feed them some frozen bloodworms every other day for a week and they will be ready to breed, maybe sooner.

Liters to Gallons conversion calculator

"Keeping fish for any period of time doesn't make you experienced if you're doing it wrong. What does, is acknowledging those mistakes and learning from them." ~Aeonflame
    "
    your argument is invalid." ~Mommy1

0 Not allowed!
    Wow, that's awesome! Thanks Kingfisher. =]

I have noticed, that while they do this to each other, they'll chase anything else that gets within their little realm away. My Gourami is one of the biggest annoyances and I noticed that they even nudge Assassin snails out of the way.

Just setup Youtube. Here's the vid, FM:

0 Not allowed!
    Ohhhh, this is going to be fun!! I will totally subscrie to your channel.
    130g: 4 Angelfish, 2 Roseline Sharks, 12 Conga Tetras, 5 Kuhli Loaches, 1 Otocinslus, 1 Corydora