· Pond Fish
· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default Fishless cycle using water and some gravel?

0 Not allowed!
    I have started a hospital tank for an injured Black Moor. It is a small, 10 gallon tank. I used water and some gravel from my existing tank to start this one but couldn't use filter media as this tank has a sealed filter cartridge. I have been adding food in daily. I've also added a bubbler and cranked the heater up high.

It's been 48 hours since I started the tank. Over the last two days, the ammonia has remained about .25 - .50 ppm, while the nitrites have risen from .25 yesterday, to >5.0 ppm today. Nitrate readings are about 5.0 ppm.

It seems like this is in the process of cycling, but wanted to get your opinions. Is there something more I should be doing?

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I'm no expert and never tried to ramp up a cycle, but I'm a little worried you are feeding the water every day. I've had my nitrate issues and I think too much waste in the tank might delay what you are trying to do. Maybe you should hold off on that until someone with more experience can give a good answer...

Shrimp and snail junkie... What can I say, I like the little things in life.

0 Not allowed!
    If you have your injuried fish in there right now, I would be doing daily 50 to 75% waterchanges at least once a day. Ammonia and nitrites are toxic to fish and will not helpf the injuried moor heal. Lots of fresh clean water will help him recover quicker.

Adding old tank water from another tank will not help either as the bacteria that you need will be in your filter media and not the water.

Can you move some of the filter media from your other tank into this one ?
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

0 Not allowed!
    The readings do indicate a kick started cycle in my opinion. Agreed that this is no place for a sick fish.

What you can do which sometimes helps is take some water from the established tank, squeeze out what filter gunk you can and then run the new filter in that for an hour or so. Not a substitute for a proper cycle but I've found it can help to kickstart a cycle.

Awards Showcase

Happy Christmas - MuckyFish thanks for advising on vegetables for my kribs! so here is a discus - ScottishFish You help a lot - PhillipOrigami For the bank account, and thx for the rep - Cliff beautiful discus! - Crispy 
    I know this doesn't help but it's all I can do! - chrisfraser05 for all the wise advice you've given me - fishmommie Congrats on 2000th post! - andreahp Merry Christmas! - fishmommie Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    Thanks for the rep :-) - ~firefly~ appreciate it. - fishmommie Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 ٩(̾●̮̮̃̾•̃̾)۶ - korith For all the good advice you give. - ~firefly~ 
    Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff thanks for the rep points.  appreciate it - fishmommie happy friday! - mojosodope Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ Thanks for the rep! - steeler1 

0 Not allowed!
    Nitrites of 5 ppm are very toxic and I find it hard to beleive the fish (if in that water) can live. Hope that is a miss reading or the fish is not in that tank.

To cycle a filter, a fishless cycle is the only safe way. Since you already have an established filter, you can start another filter in this established aquarium and wait five weeks. In the mean time, the injuried or sick fish should be put in the established tank (if not already there) and just use a divider to keep them safe (if that is an issue.) If you fear the illness might spread, most likely it is already too late since all the fish were together when that fish first got ill; just treat them all.

And keep an extra filter running in the tank so next time, you will have a seaons filter. Besides, a seal filter element is not a good thing to have - how will you replace bio-media in time? You need a new filter anyway - one that allows you to add bio-media yourself!
    Last edited by Cermet; 02-26-2013 at 11:33 AM.

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by huguelet View Post
    I have started a hospital tank for an injured Black Moor. It is a small, 10 gallon tank. I used water and some gravel from my existing tank to start this one but couldn't use filter media as this tank has a sealed filter cartridge. I have been adding food in daily. I've also added a bubbler and cranked the heater up high.

It's been 48 hours since I started the tank. Over the last two days, the ammonia has remained about .25 - .50 ppm, while the nitrites have risen from .25 yesterday, to >5.0 ppm today. Nitrate readings are about 5.0 ppm.

It seems like this is in the process of cycling, but wanted to get your opinions. Is there something more I should be doing?
    Along with everyone else - is the fish currently in this tank?

If it is, you need to get the ammonia down to .25 and the nitrites way down.

If it isn't, I assume you are using food to cycle the tank by waiting for it to rot. If that's the case, hopefully since you already have a reading for nitrates,you should be careful how often you feed the flakes.
    46 gal fw tank with black skirt tetras, neon tetras, spotted corys, green corys, 1 guppy, cherry barbs, otoclinus, snails & 4 amano shrimp - plastic & live plants
    5 gal QT with green corys & 2 guppies

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by andreahp View Post
    Along with everyone else - is the fish currently in this tank?

If it is, you need to get the ammonia down to .25 and the nitrites way down.

If it isn't, I assume you are using food to cycle the tank by waiting for it to rot. If that's the case, hopefully since you already have a reading for nitrates,you should be careful how often you feed the flakes.
    The fish is NOT in the tank. I don't want to stress the little guy out anymore than he already is with his injury. That is why I'm trying to do a fishless tank cycle. Sorry if that wasn't clear by the title. I really just wanted to know if there was something else I could do to speed this along because I want to get the little guy in there ASAP. I will take the suggestions of getting a different filter that allows me to transfer some media over. Thanks