· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Default A few general questions on modifying canister filter lines

0 Not allowed!
    Just got a couple Eheim 2078s (!) to run the 125 gal I'm setting up and got a few questions...

1) I'm going to use two 200 watt inline Hydor heaters so I'm sure I'll need extra hose, but the Eheim literature says only use Eheim hoses. Is this entirely necessary or should I go ahead and get the Eheim hoses? Followup... Do I need to get hoses from aquarium supply specifically geared for aquarium use or will the stuff from Home Depot do ok?

2) Probably going to paint the plastic input and output tubes black (the rigid parts that actually go in the tank) and I'm wondering about what type of paint to use. Saw in another post someone talking about doing the same thing using spray can Krylon Fusion for plastic, which I already know is a good paint for plastic coating. Will this paint do, or should I look for something that is maybe specifically geared to be less toxic and aquarium safe?

3) The Eheim 2078 listed output is something like 490 gal/hr. How much will these inline Hydor heaters slow that rate?

Thanks!

0 Not allowed!
    Any hose that is approved for potable water (drinking water) should be OK provided the inside diameter is the same as the orginal canister hose. You may have to change the hose clamps tho.

I have been using a hydor 300 watt in line heater on a XP canister for a few years now. As long as you match the inside diameter of the heater to that of the hose the canister uses, you will not have any noticeable reduction in GHP

From what I have read, Krylon fusion paint is aquarium safe provided you follow the manufacture's recommend prep-work and curing time before putting it in the water.
    If you take your time to do the research FIRST, you can successfully set-up and keep ANY type of aquarium with ease.
    "Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo
    Fishless Cycle Cycling with Fish Marine Aquarium Info [URL="http://saltwater.aquaticcommunity.com/"]

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I've used Krylon fusion paint in the past, and like Cliff says, follow the instructions on the can and you will be fine.
    Fiiiiiiiiiiissssshhhhhh!