· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: I've had it!!

1. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Back in the fall I talked to a lady who was a member of one of the fish clubs. She was quite proud of herself, and her 30 gallon tank full of angels. She said they were a bit "funny" to keep, like they kept dying on her. I asked her about water changes, and she said she didn't do them at all. Then I asked her about her params. Didn't test. Was not interested in doing either of those things either. It was weird. I thought I misunderstood her, but when she walked out of the store with more angelfish I realized that I was not in a really odd dream.

Here I was, ready for a big technical discussion with someone who knew their stuff, and I was really let down instead. I guess paying money or otherwise joining a club of enthusiasts does not mean you have to be even vaguely educated about what you're doing. Sad!
    Beth
    1 - 55 gallon planted community
    3 - 10 to 20 gallon planted betta tanks
    My advice: slow down, think, and be willing to learn. Then you'll be fine, no matter what.

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    To lead one must lead by example. One must show an example of the situation that is being specified. Who will follow one who uses only words in a world of too many words.

To change one must be patient while presenting one's example. Each takes change into account upon their own terms and with their own attitude. To change abruptly is to be submissive. In this age none wishes to be submissive as submission suggests defeat, weakness or ineptitude.

To create a positive influence one must project a positive influence. This is extremely socially complicated. To wish to create change suggests that you are certain that you are correct in your determination. You must respect that no one wishes to be wrong. They must come to terms with what you present at their own pace and on their own terms.

For these reasons one must look at the hobby in regards to how we approach others as one's whom foster the hobby and foster the practices of quality husbandry. To foster is never to preach, to foster is to dip the paddle into the water and mildly adjust the path rather than to sink the oar deep and cause a feeling of discernable adjustment. That which a good hobbyist who influences others in the greatest way is blessed the most with is abundant patience.

There will always and forever be vast multitudes of those who shall not do things correctly in my opinion per my standards. No two of us will ever do things the same. No two of us ever should.

If I try to preach to you and all of you, you will reject me outright. That is your nature. I must show you the way and gain your respects and confidence not just proclaim dominion over your actions and thoughts.

No one can change the world by standing upon a box in the middle of a crowd and telling the crowd that the world messed up.

There will be those who dislike these words and so you see I am not a great master of human feeling just a pupil like yourself.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Belonging to a club should imply being interested on doing better and improving knowledge, seems to me it goes well together. This is sad, i am sorry. I am still confident that there is always a way to get to people or maybe time for you to start your own club

0 Not allowed!
    Amelia, a challenge!

There's more to water changes and the nitrogen cycle, than just water changes and nitrogen. It's great to be able to tell someone that there are toxins that build up in a fish tank, and you need to cycle your tank, so that the toxins get converted into something less toxic, etc. However, if you get more scientific about it, and describe what's actually happening (and if you're like me, you find it wildly interesting), you might be able to catch the ears of these wandering fish club clowns.

Ignorance can lead to many things... such as belligerence, which you've met with most recently. Imagine what these people might think, if they knew that there was good bacteria (that you can actually grow), that aid in the cleaning of water, such as Nitrosomonas marina, Nitrospira and less likely to be cultivated, the anaerobic nitrate-eating bacteria (whose scientific name I don't know).

Maybe I'm a nerd, but this stuff intrigues me, and if you could present this knowledge to them via a scheduled presentation, you might be able to turn a few heads.

I'm sorry you've had to deal with such ignorant people, who won't take the time of day to learn something that might benefit their fish and their hobby. Keep up the good fight and don't get discouraged. =]
    Adventures in Aquaria - The KevinVA Story

When in doubt, ask yourself... W.W.L.S (What would Lee Say)?