· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Default

0 Not allowed!
    A few hundred would be a good range, less would be nicer. DO you have a link of what you are suggesting?

Awards Showcase

Blog Entries
    Merry Christmas! - Lab_Rat thank you for the birthday wishes - mommy1 Happy One Year AC Anniversary! - Rue For being understanding, thank you - Cliff (closest I could find to a catfish) Thanks for the nomination! - sheamurai 
    Thank you for the MOTM nomination - mommy1 I think you deserve a random gift. Yes, I think you do. - PhillipOrigami For being a fellow MA native! - Lolita Happy Birthday to you. - jeffs99dime Merry Christmas - Cliff 
    It's a Christmas Bunny, Merry Christmas. - gadget228 I've not seen anyone with an umbrella here. You seem to have an odd collection of gifts...so here's my contribution. :-) - ~firefly~ "genocidex;1139790]stupid question... but would i be able to use lawn clovers in a tank?  lol"  REALLY - Strider199 crayfish! - Brhino thanks for sharing - sheamurai 
    For filling out my school! :) - Flyby Stardancer silly rabbit... - sheamurai They say one of these a day keeps doctors away.... - Trillianne Day Two... - Trillianne Thanks for the frogbit very much :) - Greentoads41 
    World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - genocidex 

0 Not allowed!
    Well depending on how much h care about the look of it...
    http://m.homedepot.com/p/Lithonia-Li...-RE/202052422/
    Somethingblike that in 36" would work. Maybe maks a cheap canopy to mount them.... Just an idea since you dont need plants and would actually gain from lower light...
    KING OF THE GOLD BARBS RAWR!!!!
    I wonder if i plant one of my tiger barbs would the demon seed grow to a full tree?
    gotta love them bunnies!
    I.R.S.: We've got what it takes to take what you've got!

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    The two lights I posted do have 3 settings. What if I just used a lower setting?

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I'd thoroughly recommend the Kessil a150W Amazon Sun if you have live plants, they are 225$ a unit through Amazon.com and have free shipping, that's where I ordered mine. They are a little more expensive, but they are REALLY good lights and Kessil really stand behind their product so if you have ANY issues they will take care of it. They also don't take up as much space as "traditional" lights.
    70 Gal Planted Rio Negro Angelfish Biotope with:
    1 Whip Tail Pleco
    7 Hatchet fish
    11 Glo Light tetras, 6 Black Skirted Tetras
    6 Bronze Corys
    3 Wild Type Angelfish
    Current Plants:
    Giant Amazon Sword, Narrow Leaf Java, Val, moss on driftwood

0 Not allowed!
    I don't understand why people are so anxious to throw so much money at expensive lighting. The cheaper brands are just as good as the more expensive brands, and they use the same bulbs...
    Adventures in Aquaria - The KevinVA Story

When in doubt, ask yourself... W.W.L.S (What would Lee Say)?

Have a fish problem? Fill out and post this completed questionnaire in the General Aquarium Forum, when you start a new thread.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinVA View Post
    I don't understand why people are so anxious to throw so much money at expensive lighting. The cheaper brands are just as good as the more expensive brands, and they use the same bulbs...

No, they don't :) There are actually many many cheap crappy lights with a high price tag, but outside of those are some true gems, just like with any lighting system. It's more of an investment towards the well being of you tank and money. Good lights will have a good warranty because the company stands behind their product. If something gives you what you're looking for then it's money well spent and some lights look better and grow plants (if that's what you're into) better than others and IMO you get what you pay for, it's your tank. Not to mention the energy saving power of LED without compromise to plant growth or looks and the pretty shimmer effects that look just like sunlight. Which if you're trying to emulate nature is a good thing isn't it? Only MH and LED produce the shimmer effect and MH uses way more electricity to do so, overall costing more to purchase and operate overall than LED, making the initial investment worth it.
    1 Whip Tail Pleco
    7 Hatchet fish
    6 Bronze Corys
    3 Wild Type Angelfish
    Current Plants:

0 Not allowed!
    I could make a DIY LED light fixture for about $20 that will imitate the shimmering you're talking about. I did it with blue lights to mimic the moon. LED fixtures will cost anywhere between $80-$300 (sometimes more), and for what? They're LED bulbs... They either turn on, or the connection is bad, and they don't. I don't buy into the hype. You can purchase a roll of LED lights on Amazon for $4-$20, depending on how many you want. You could do the same thing for CFL bulbs and a DIY fixture.

As for buying T5/T8 fixtures? The bulbs are all the same - 6500k, 10000k, plant, actnic, etc. Some do have different connections, but generally they all use the same type of connection (and if they don't, you can always find a bulb with the correct connection). They all do the same thing, and in a working fixture rated for the same wattage, etc, they all provide the same light... The only thing you should be concerned with, is if the fixture itself can turn off/on correctly.

If you want to pay a premium for a name brand with an extended warranty, far be it for me to tell you you're wrong. In my experience, the cheaper brands can perform flawlessly and look good, doing it. Odyssea is such a brand.

Have a fish problem? Fill out and post this completed questionnaire in the General Aquarium Forum, when you start a new thread.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    No, You can't :) You clearly haven't read up on the Kessil's. They're the one brand of LED lights that just can't be made DIY, I researched them for about 2 years before I bought one. They make they own chips in house so there's no where you can even purchase them.
    Last edited by FreakyFishie; 03-07-2013 at 01:47 PM.
    1 Whip Tail Pleco
    7 Hatchet fish
    6 Bronze Corys
    3 Wild Type Angelfish
    Current Plants:

0 Not allowed!
    So the fixture has a more powerful LED bulb that acts as a flood light. Am I correct? Seems to be the only difference I can find between that fixture and other LED fixtures (bought & DIY). It's nice to be able to limit the real estate that a traditional fixture will cost you, but depending on where you have this, you might need to purchase a shade to place around the fixture, since it can light up a room.