· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Wink New with Kissing Gourami

0 Not allowed!
    Hello All :)

I'm new to the forum-
    I have a 39 gallon tank, and until now I've only cared for Angel fish and other cichlids, some mollies and some golden algae fish. About 6 months back, something awful got into the tank and killed everything, save the 3 red mollies.
    With all this time passed and the water looking perfect for the last about 4 months, we now have 2 Pink Kissing Gouramis and 2 new golden algae eaters. The Gouramis are about 3-4 inches each, the goldens and mollies are all about or less than an inch in size.

Anyways, since we've had these gouramis for almost a week now, the bigger one chases the smaller one around ALL.THE.TIME. I've read about them "kissing" to establish dominance (amazing, right??) but the little one doesn't "kiss" back. The large one "kisses" it in the sides and fins, though rarely actually making contact. It seems to chase the other fish into the one same corner of the aquarium and keep it there. I'm worried the smaller one is being hurt or us unable to get any food, as these "kissing attacks" seem to happen after feeding. As far as I can tell they are both eating flakes, lettuce and "grazing" for algae.
    This said, I have not seen the bigger one cause any visible damage, and the little guy seems to be fine (but stuck in one corner)

They were both in the same tank with 6-7 medium sized oscars when I got them, I don't know for how long though.

What I am worried about that is this bullying will eventually kill the smaller gourami. :(

As for the other fish, I honestly don't think the gourami's have even noticed them. They're all hiding in our various plants and are eating fine.

Am I going to end up with only one "kissing bully" goruami??

Thank you :)

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas - KingFisher Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 This Holiday Swine hopes your 2014 will be simply divine! - Trillianne Thanks again for your help yesterday - Slaphppy7 Happy New Year! - jeffs99dime 
    Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year Mommy1. - Strider199 Cheers.  Have some of my hang-over cure. Happy New Year - Cliff Happy New Year! - KingFisher Happy Birthday. - Taurus Happy Birthday. - gadget228 
    Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 Looks like its time for a second cup! - Trillianne always fun - Surfdog thanks for sweetening the pot! - fishmommie Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 
    for putting up with my bad timing - Cliff Congrats on MOTM. - gadget228 For most awesome avatar of the day. lol  Love it. - KevinVA Thank you so much for the Rep!! - steeler58 Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 

0 Not allowed!
    How big was the tank they came out of, I'm thinking pretty large to house 6-7 medium sized oscars? They are probably establishing dominance in their new home. It is generally advised with the majority of gourami species to have only one gourami per tank due to conspecific aggression, but I don't know if this is true for the kissing gourami. Here is some information about your fish.

http://badmanstropicalfish.com/profiles/profile60.html

http://animal-world.com/encyclo/fres...issinggour.php
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

0 Not allowed!
    I would not recommend two kissing gouramis in a 40 gallon. Firstly because gouramis are territorial and unless the tank is large and well planted, they will fight and the weaker one will most likely
    succumb to the constant harassment eventually. Besides that, kissing gouramis have the potential to grow to the size of a badminton racket head and as adults, will most definitely not fit in forty gallons. There are plenty of pretty gouramis that will however. A single pearl gourami or dwarf gourami along with other community fish will work well.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks, good info.. The tank we saw them in was about 50g-60g, it was pretty crowded, there were also some small cichlids in there...The gouramis seemed timid, keeping away from the larger fish.
    We only wanted one at first, because they are fairly large fish, but they seemed to be staying beside each other and getting along in the tank so we took both. I expect the larger (perhaps male? I haven't a clue on that) will take dominance in the tank, I'm just worried the smaller fish will be killed in the process.
    Since I first posted, I turned the lights to a darker setting and they seem to have calmed down quite a bit actually.
    They're gorgeous fish with quite the personality so I hope they can find some peace.
    IMG_2310.jpg
    Here they are- I wish the picture was better, they really are very pink. The big bully is in the front. When it's not chasing the other around they hang out close like this. Maybe they're a couple?
    Last edited by helpuslisa; 02-25-2013 at 10:15 PM. Reason: picture

0 Not allowed!
    40g for two of these is awfully small...

Is there anything in there to break up sightlines? Or is this a bare tank?

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I have about 5 tall leafy plants, and 2 smaller ones, it could use a couple more though.
    The kiss chasing continues, but since I've kept the tank darker, it only seems to happen after they eat. No visible injuries or anything... they mostly hang out side by side too.
    I realize the tank might not be as big as it could be, and if they grow I might have to find new homes for them.
    So far they seem to not be hurting each other, I just don't know if it will turn deadly.
    Is there a way to determine the sex of these guys? I've read it's pretty hard to tell but if anyone knows from that picture I'd like to know
    Last edited by helpuslisa; 02-27-2013 at 03:24 PM.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by helpuslisa View Post
    I realize the tank might not be as big as it could be, and if they grow I might have to find new homes for them.
    It's not "if" they grow, helpuslisa, it's when. They will get huge, and they will not fit that tank, as per what madagascariensis told you:

[QUOTE] Besides that, kissing gouramis have the potential to grow to the size of a badminton racket head and as adults, will most definitely not fit in forty gallons. [\QUOTE]

I know they are cute and interesting, but You would really be way better off getting a single specimen of a smaller gourami species.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I wanted to add to this forum after having these very happy fish for a while now...
    I probably won't come back, because I don't want to be belittled instead of helped again... :/ makes me sad :(

Just wanted to say, I added one very large leafy plant directly in the middle of the aquarium, and each Gourami has his/her own side and they are very happy and healthy. They've not grown in length at all, and they are much pinker and more active then when we first got them. They definitely have claimed their own sides of the tank, but sometimes will hangout side by side in the leaves. The Mollies and golden algae eaters do their own thing, honestly they act like they don't even see the Gouramis, who are easily 3x their size.
    I'm really glad I kept these fish, they've been the best and easiest fish I've ever cared for. Gorgeous and active, and great with my smaller fish. They chase each other around still, neither has ever been injured in these chasing sessions; They aren't quite as intense as they were at first. I feed them their flakes, boiled lettuce, and the occasional blood worms or tiny shrimps.
    Regardless of your opinions, I'm happy I decided to keep these fish and not bring them back to the crowded tank where the "professionals" were keeping them. I may not know everything, but I can tell when an animal is striving in a happy home, and I'm very content with my Gourami buddies.
    I hope others won't be deterred from caring for these fish, they're really great and are perfect for the size of my tank. (39g, details above)
    Last edited by helpuslisa; 05-01-2013 at 02:27 AM.

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas - KingFisher Merry Christmas! - Slaphppy7 This Holiday Swine hopes your 2014 will be simply divine! - Trillianne Thanks again for your help yesterday - Slaphppy7 Happy New Year! - jeffs99dime 
    Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year Mommy1. - Strider199 Cheers.  Have some of my hang-over cure. Happy New Year - Cliff Happy New Year! - KingFisher Happy Birthday. - Taurus Happy Birthday. - gadget228 
    Thanks for the B-Day wish - Strider199 Looks like its time for a second cup! - Trillianne always fun - Surfdog thanks for sweetening the pot! - fishmommie Here's to one crummy Superbowl, lol! - Slaphppy7 
    for putting up with my bad timing - Cliff Congrats on MOTM. - gadget228 For most awesome avatar of the day. lol  Love it. - KevinVA Thank you so much for the Rep!! - steeler58 Happy Easter! - Slaphppy7 

0 Not allowed!
    Ok bye
    When I go fishing I just place a sharp rock in the water and sit there waiting for all the dead fish to float to the top... Kingfisher
    Brutal honesty will be shown on this screen.
    I think my fish is adjusting well to the four gallon, He's laying on his side attempting to go to sleep on the bottom of the gravel.
    Tolerance is a great thing to have, so is the ability to shut up.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.