· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food

Hybrid View

Default Clown Loach Behavior?

0 Not allowed!
    Howdy.
    Yesterday was my birthday, and my father got me two little clown loaches! i was happy as can be.

After introducing them to the tank, they checked out all their tank mates, and were very inquisitive as soon as they were put in, exploring every inch of the environment.

Today, I've noticed, I barely ever see them! I have a small, hollow castle decoration in the back of my tank with much foliage around it.
    I also have a banjo catfish. He is nocturnal (obv) and I have mistaken him for dead many times. He "lives" in this castle. ..
    But both loaches have moved in too! The catfish isn't bothered, and the loaches dont seem to mind either...

I am, however, worried about these loaches, because after the first day, they never leave the castle for more than a minute to nibble at a submerged food pellet. They will poke their heads out, and then decide against leaving.

Is this normal behavior? The pair seemed energetic yesterday, now they are more like hermits, and it does seem like an uncomfortably small space for these two fish, especially with big ol' Banjo taking up his spot.
    Might also be worth mentioning that this is my first noteworthy attempt at any sort of aquarium.

Any thoughts or opinions appreciated. =]
    Last edited by T22493; 02-25-2013 at 05:36 PM.

0 Not allowed!
    It is normal behavior for schooling fish that are not kept in proper sized schools. Clown loaches need to be in a group of 5 or more to feel secure, and as they grow up to a foot long, a large tank is required to keep them.

Liters to Gallons conversion calculator

"Keeping fish for any period of time doesn't make you experienced if you're doing it wrong. What does, is acknowledging those mistakes and learning from them." ~Aeonflame
    "
    your argument is invalid." ~Mommy1

Awards Showcase

Merry Christmas Scottishfish - jeffs99dime Merry Christmas Douglas - Taurus Please enjoy this holiday hog! - Trillianne Have a super christmas! - Aeonflame Congrats on 1 year! - andreahp 
    Congrats on 1 year! - jeffs99dime Happy One-Year! - Rue Happy New Year! - ~firefly~ Thanks for the birthday wishes - mommy1 No Message - 850R 
    Now THAT was a nice quiet beer... But now that we have had another... Let's go break stuff!! :-P - 850R Thanks for the rep/compliments! - mojosodope Thanks for the rep the other day, cheers - Cliff ...they go with snow, right? - ~firefly~ Thanks for the rep the other day - Cliff 
    Merry Christmas! - ~firefly~ Merry Christmas - Cliff Merry Christmas - mommy1 Merry Christmas - KingFisher Happy New Year - mommy1 

0 Not allowed!
    Well clown loaches are a schooling fish so for them to be happy they need at least 4 more of their own species to be happy. Right now they will be skittish and unsettled.

However they can easily grow to over a foot long. Which leads me on to ask, how big is your tank?

Edit: Just got ninjad by Kingfisher!!

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Mine still like to hide at times and I have had them 6 months. I have a group of 7.

Assuming you have a large enough tank, make sure you have lots of places they can hide. You would also need a larger group. Mine really like large diameter pvc pipe pieces and driftwood.

Mine are still pretty small, they are coming up on the 3 inch mark.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I just saw your other post saying you have a 27 gallon hex tank. If that is the case you should really return the loaches. That size tank would really only be okay for a short quarentine stay before moving them to a much larger space.

0 Not allowed!
    Tank is only 27 gallons, and already heavily stocked. My father has no knowledge of shoaling, or fish growth. haha.
    Making this school larger in this tank would probably be disastrous... However they were a gift, so I'll do the best I can with them.
    By the time they get up to three or four inches I will have a separate larger tank for them.

Many of the fish in my tank are different shoaling species kept under their minimum numbers.. I'm experimenting, and have probably made many mistakes.

Maybe these fish will find companionship with my serpae tetras? they are the same colors. hahaha :P

Thank you all.
    Last edited by T22493; 02-25-2013 at 06:05 PM.

0 Not allowed!
    Lady, the loaches are still small.. i think they'll be alright for a short while. What's the minimum gallon sized tank recommended for these ?

8. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Well for a forever home a tank that is 8 foot long is ideal. I believe 180 gallons is the smallest gallons that an 8 ft tank can be.

Mine are currently in a 6 foot 125 gallon tank. I want them to all get to be 6 inches long before I move them. Then they will most likely move into a 300-350 gallon tank (unless a slightly smaller tank is available and a great deal.)

Clown loaches are sensitive fish that are prone to getting ick and benefit from a varied diet. They also have a long lifespan.

You should google Marge the clown loach to see what these fish can look like with great care. There are also some good youtube videos of larger clown loaches.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Well for a forever home a tank that is 8 foot long is ideal. I believe 180 gallons is the smallest gallons that an 8 ft tank can be.

Mine are currently in a 6 foot 125 gallon tank. I want them to all get to be 6 inches long before I move them. Then they will most likely move into a 300-350 gallon tank (unless a slightly smaller tank is available and a great deal.)

Clown loaches are sensitive fish that are prone to getting ick and benefit from a varied diet. They also have a long lifespan.

You should google Marge the clown loach to see what these fish can look like with great care. There are also some good youtube videos of larger clown loaches.