· Pond Fish
· Responsible Fish Keeping
· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
  1. Question I need help identifying these please... :)

0 Not allowed!
    Hi guys, just starting to get interested in aquariums and fishes.. So far i have 2 Blood parrots, 2 Pearl gouramis, 2 Pleco(albino maybe), 3 angelfishes, 2 Weird looking catfish..... The thing is, i just assume that it's a catfish because of the whiskers .. but the guy at the shop says its an eel... so i thought may be its an eel catfish maybe?? so i got some pictures and a video of them... To briefly describe them, they dwells at the bottom of the aquarium, and sometimes swims up fast for air (i guess).. they usually hides between plants.. if they didn't, their heads starts floating... some say that it's a loach, after i Google for a bit, it looks somewhat like a dojo loach.. is it a baby loach?? okay, anyhow, i very much appreciate that you guys help me identify these lovely creatures... its weird looking, and some people finds it gross (like a naked molerat..) but nonetheless i love them as much as i love the other fishes... here are some of the pictures and a video to assist you guys.. Thanks in advance..

here's the pics
    Weird catfish 1.jpgWeird catfish 2.jpgWeird catfish 3.jpgWeird Catfish and A couple of Blood Parrot.jpg

a video of its behavior..

as you may see at the end, its head floats.. weird huh?

0 Not allowed!
    That's an explosive mix you got there. Parrots and angels... Good chance that will explode and the gouramis get caught in the crossfire.

As to these, I think they're an albino form of Clarias batrachus (http://www.planetcatfish.com/catelog...?species_id=90) which is good news since this is one of the smaller species of clarias. (there's also Clarias gariepinus which can grow to over 4 ft) You can expect a maximum length of about 15 inches and they will make a serious attempt to eat whatever they can fit into their mouths. That 15 inches may well be reached before thanksgiving.

The behaviour you see is farily typical for what you can expect in a badly setup tank. These guys would do better with sand. At the very least supply some pipe for them to hide in.

Now, while you're at it, might want to Id your "pleco" as well.
    Last edited by talldutchie; 02-25-2013 at 03:06 PM.

0 Not allowed!
    Diid a bit more research. Would expect this to be an escape artist so make sure the tank has a tight fitting lid. It's also an invasive species in some parts of the world so whatever you do don't release it in the wild! It has stingers behind several fins so careful handling. Oh, and it's illegal to posses in at least the state of Florida.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by talldutchie View Post
    That's an explosive mix you got there. Parrots and angels... Good chance that will explode and the gouramis get caught in the crossfire.

As to these, I think they're an albino form of Clarias batrachus (http://www.planetcatfish.com/catelog...?species_id=90) which is good news since this is one of the smaller species of clarias. (there's also Clarias gariepinus which can grow to over 4 ft) You can expect a maximum length of about 15 inches and they will make a serious attempt to eat whatever they can fit into their mouths. That 15 inches may well be reached before thanksgiving.

The behaviour you see is farily typical for what you can expect in a badly setup tank. These guys would do better with sand. At the very least supply some pipe for them to hide in.

Now, while you're at it, might want to Id your "pleco" as well.
    Thanks for the info.. now i can give it what it needs and what should and what should not do.. Its just a temporary tank though and i'm transferring them soon enough.. and these is what my pleco looks like(these are the best pics i can get..).. doesn't do much though... thanks again..

DSC_0002.jpgDSC_0006.jpgDSC_0007.jpg
    Last edited by AidelSyafiq; 02-26-2013 at 04:08 AM.

0 Not allowed!
    Looks an awful lot like a variety of bristlenose. 5 inch max, almost excluse vegetarian. Looks a bit skinny too, are you feeding algae wafer and/or fresh veg?

If your walking catfish grow bigger they may eventually try to eat it. Would be a bad idea for them.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    thanks again.. yes, i do feed it often.. its skinny when i bought it from the store.. maybe they didn't feed it enough.. don't worry, i'll move the catfish once they're a threat to my other fishes... and how often do i need to feed my fishes? for the time being, i feed them 3 times a day, morning,mid day, and night.. do you have suggestions? I'm still new in these matters, so if i'm wrong, feel free to correct me.. the pet store here doesn't give much info, they just sells them.. so internet is the most reliable place to find more about them.. sorry for bothering too much.. thanks.. :)