· Rainbow Fish
· Shark Fish
· South American Cichlids
· Tanganyika Cichlids
· Tetra Fish
· Tropical Fish Food
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Awards Showcase

Thx. Have another on me! - pRED Enjoy the 4th brother :-) - Taurus Bleeding blues! - RiversGirl TGIF and here's to the bleeding blues Lee. - Taurus This one's on me.... - Slaphppy7 
    pizza for all.  I finished my book today!!! - fishmommie Congrats on 30th anniversary, Lee - SeaLady the Bleeding blue makes an appearance at last! - RiversGirl And one for you for as well. :) - Compass T.G.I.F.! - Slaphppy7 
    To new fishies and gambling addictions! lol - Compass Good to see your still at it. - Strider199 Happy 2 year anniversary! - Slaphppy7 Congratualtions on 2 years at the AC.  We are all better for it! - fishmommie Happy 2nd anniversary. to Many more - SeaLady 
    for the thing in your signature about saandy hook, i was in elementary during that time. - aquariumlover10 Thanks for the bucks!! - SeaLady No Message - RiversGirl New fishys - SeaLady Congrats on 7,000 posts! - Slaphppy7 
    Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - steeler1 Childhood Cancer - steeler1 Anti-Tobacco - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - steeler1 
    Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - steeler1 Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - steeler58 

0 Not allowed!
    Nice looking fish. I'm glad your husband is on board. My wife and I have been married for 28 yrs and I could put an oscar in the tank and I don't think she would notice
    Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence.
    Once you learn to quit, it becomes a habit.
    -Vince Lombardi

Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are. ― John Wooden
    Sandy Hook Elementary......Lest We Forget
    See my profile for my tanks and what fish I keep

2. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Yea, for the most part he has always tried to act like he wasn't too interested, but I could see through it. The last two times we went to the big fish store he was like a kid in a candy store! Asking if we could get this fish and that fish. I had to explain to him, with every one he asked about, that they were too big for our tanks. I think that is where the comment about getting a 75 gallon came from
    46 gallon bow front planted - 6 Longfin Neon Rosy Barbs, 1 male Golden Sailfin Mollie, 6 Harlequin Rasboras, 4 Panda Corys, 1 German Blue Ram, 1 Apple snail.
    29 Gallon - mix of plastic and real plants - 1 Angel fish, 2 male fancy guppies, 2 German Blue Rams, 8 Neon Tetras, 2 Ottos.
    5 gallon Quarantine tank

Read my journal here.
    Pictures of my 46 Gallon here.
    Picture of my 29 gallon here.

3. Default

0 Not allowed!
    So, I had these roots shooting out the side of my Wisterias:

wisteriaroots.jpg

I figured that is a good sign, having some growth, but wasn't sure if they were supposed to stay like that. I read up about it on the stem plant forum and snipped a few off and replanted. Hope I did it right. Time will tell.

I have also been researching other plants (I got the plant bug now!!!!) and have quite a list of things I want to try, both in the 29 gallon, and in the 46 gallon after I change out the subtrate. Not sure where to get them though. I haven't seen ANY in the different pet stores that look healthy other than the ones in the tubes. Might order some online.

Rosy Barbs are all doing fabulous. The original one I got last week wasn't any too happy to share his bachelor pad at first, but he is adjusting to his new room mates and starting to share nicely
    46 gallon bow front planted - 6 Longfin Neon Rosy Barbs, 1 male Golden Sailfin Mollie, 6 Harlequin Rasboras, 4 Panda Corys, 1 German Blue Ram, 1 Apple snail.
    29 Gallon - mix of plastic and real plants - 1 Angel fish, 2 male fancy guppies, 2 German Blue Rams, 8 Neon Tetras, 2 Ottos.
    5 gallon Quarantine tank

Read my journal here.

4. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Well tomorrow is the big day. I do my tank swaps! I took a vacation day off work for it. This way I will still have Saturday and Sunday to keep an eye on things afterwards to make sure everything and everyone is making the transition ok. I am both excited and nervous. It needs to be such a preplanned, very coordinated process.

First a bit of an update from this past week. I moved the 2 "yellow" Barbs to my 46 gallon. They were being harassed non-stop in the 29 gallon with the Neon Rosies. Upon further research I am pretty sure now they are female Rosy Barbs, which would explain why they were being harassed in a tank of 5 males! They will have to stay separated for now because I am not sure I will have room for additional females in the 46 gallon when all is said and done.

Also, I ordered several plants that will be arriving tomorrow! I am really enjoying the Wisteria that I planted in the 29 gallon so I thought I would try some more plants and see what happens. I would love to have some in the 46 gallon also. That tank actually gets a lot more natural light as it is directly across from a large window. I still have to figure out what plants are going into what tank. I am new to plants and I realize I am not setup perfectly for plants, and I don't want to dive into purchasing new lights, etc........ If they make it, GREAT, if not, well at least I tried and will know what will survive in my low tech setups and what won't. Here is what I have coming:

4 Water Sprite, 2 Micro Sword, 2 Varigated Japanese Dwarf Rush, 4 Spiralis, 4 Moneywort, and 2 Java Fern. These will be split up between the 2 tanks. (I know that is a lot of plants for two tanks, but I figure some will not make it.) I like the grassy looking plants and tall plants best, and I REALLY wanted some Dwarf Hairgrass and Hornwort, but they can not ship the Dwarf Hairgrass to WI, and the Hornwort is not shipping until April 15th.

I am also going to replace one of my HOB filters on the 46 gallon. Replacing the Marineland Penguin with a new Aqueon Quietflow. (Self priming, in preparation for power outages this summer!)

Here is what I have planned for the switch process: (I am unsure if I should even do the very first step?)

Tonight:
    Do a gravel vac in the 46 gallon? (Less debris when I change out subtrate tomorrow?)
    Do a partial WC in 29 gallon so it has fresh clean water which = less stress on relocated fish.

Tomorrow:
    Have 2 containers filled with tank water, with air stones, for fish. One will be the 5 gallon tank and one will be a plastic tub.
    Have a 5 gallon bucket ready with tank water to preserve BB on filter media and decorations from the 46 gallon during the subtrate switch over.
    Remove all objects (decorations) from the 46 gallon.
    Do not clean objects to preserve any BB as I will be losing some in the subtrate replacement.
    Remove ALL fish from the 46 gallon.
    Put the fish that are going back into the 46 gallon in one container.
    Put the fish that are going into the 29 gallon in another container.
    Siphon out most of the remaining water.
    Remove old gravel and replace with the new, well cleaned black & white subtrate.
    Add new Aqueon filter
    Arrange new plants and replace some of the original fake decorations.
    Fill 46 gallon 1/2 - 3/4 full with fresh water.
    Put back used filter media and turn on filters.
    Pour old water from the bucket that was holding filter media back into tank.
    Turn on heat and check temps.
    Return fish to the 46 gallon from the holding tub.
    Pour old tank water from holding tub back into 46 gallon.

BREATH!

Net Rosy Barbs from the 29 gallon and place directly into the 46 gallon.
    Add new plants to the 29 gallon and arrange as needed.
    Add fish in holding to the 29 gallon.

BREATH!

And here is how I plan to divide up the fish.
    46 gallon:
    5 Neon Rosy Barbs
    1 Sailfin Molly
    6 Harlequin Rasboras
    5 Panda Cory
    1 GBR
    1 Mystery Snail

29 Gallon:
    1 juvenile Angel Fish
    2 GBR
    8 Neon tetras
    2 Fancy Guppies
    2 ottos
    2 female Rosy Barbs.

I would love any suggestions if anyone sees anything in this plan that should be done differently!
    Wish me luck!
    5 gallon Quarantine tank

Read my journal here.

5. Default

0 Not allowed!
    One more thing to add to the "to do" list. Watch for ammonia spike in the 46 gallon closely for the next couple weeks! I realize i will be losing some BB during all this
    5 gallon Quarantine tank

Read my journal here.

6. Default

0 Not allowed!
    Well the changes are complete! What a long day that was. It took about 8 hours from start to completely finished. And it did not all go perfectly, but it wasn't too bad.

So here is a "before" picture of the 46 gallon:

46before.jpg

When I was removing the decorations I discovered a dead Panda Cory. Not a good way to get started! I have no idea what happened to him. It was missing it's tail, but I can't imagine any of the fish he had been living with would have done that. A GBR maybe, but there has not been any problems before. I continued to work at removing all the decorations. I left the one big log in because in order to get it out I would have had to completely remove the top and lights. I decided to just leave it in there and move it around as needed. Here is a picture after removing all the decorations. Ready to catch the fish and remove them.

46empty1.jpg

I separated the fish into holding tank/tub according to witch tank they were going back into. The fish for the 29 gallon are in the plastic tub, and the fish going into the 46 gallon are in the quarantine tank. There was quite a mess going on!

holding.jpg messduring.jpg

Removing the old gravel. Thankfully I had the enthusiastic help of my husband with this project!
    gravelremoval.jpg

Continued.............
    5 gallon Quarantine tank

Read my journal here.

7. Default

0 Not allowed!

Here is the tank after adding the new subtrate and starting to refill it.
    46refill.jpg

I could not believe the instant improvement to the look of the tank! I loved it already!

Once the tank was refilled I got the filters back up and running and added the fish to their proper tanks. I decided to add the plants later. Here is the mess that was left after adding the fish back to the tanks. Poor things had a busy day!
    messafter.jpg

Then I got to work on the plants that had arrived earlier that day.
    plants.jpg

Here is the 46 gallon after the addition of the live plants.
    46afterA.jpg

And here is the 29 gallon after adding the plants. This one does still have 2 plastic plants in the mix.
    29afterswap.jpg

Continued............

5 gallon Quarantine tank

Read my journal here.

8. Default

0 Not allowed!

About the time I was planting the plants I realized one of the filters on the 46 gallon was not working! I could tell it had been off for a while because the media on top felt pretty dry. I panicked at the thought of losing my BB in that filter!! I messed with it some and it started back up. I have no idea why it quit or how long it had been off. I will have to keep a very close eye on the ammonia readings in that tank for a while.

The Barbs are LOVING their new home! They spend time swimming in the open space up above, and spend even more time down below investigating and playing in the forest. They love it!

Here are a couple pictures I took of them playing in their new playground.

Barb in one of the holes on a log:
    barbinlog.jpg

Barb in the rock cave:
    barbincave.jpg

So far everyone is doing good and the water parameters in both tanks are all in their normal ranges
    5 gallon Quarantine tank

Read my journal here.

9. Default

0 Not allowed!
    I lost one of the Rosy Barbs on Monday. This particular Barb acted kind of funny from day one. He would always seem like he was hiding for some reason under or behind plants and would only come out at feeding time. he also seemed to breath heavier then the others most of the time. Otherwise he looked healthy. I think it was probably after-effects of the lack of oxygen incident some of them experienced during their delivery trip to the fish store.

The two female Barbs that I had in the 29 gallon were way too "busy" for the rest of the stock in there. I moved them back into the 46 gallon with the other Barbs where they have much more room. I hope to get a couple more Barbs yet. I just love the Barbs! They sure are pretty when they are all swimming in synch with each other. And they are fun to watch when they are feeling frisky! It seems they did not like my decorating though. I came home from work one day this week to find ALL my micro sword plants uprooted and floating at the top of the tank! I decided not to even bother replanting them since I had seen those guys plucking at them before. All the other plants in both tanks are doing surprisingly well.

For several days this week I had a VERY cloudy 46 gallon. I don't know for sure what caused it, but I am guessing it was a bacterial bloom. It was a smokey looking cloudy, literally looked like fog or smoke "rolling" in the tank at times. Even after 25-30% water changes there was little improvement. It finally started clearing up today.

I am not sure I can keep the Panda Corys in there. They are not getting much food because the Barbs are FEROCIOUS eaters! They scarf up everything. Food floating at the top, food that is sinking, wafers on the bottom.......the corys get very little, if any. And to be honest, I feel that tank is more semi-aggressive now with the Barbs in there. They aren't really aggressive, but they will mow over anything and anyone to get to their food! But I have no place else to put the Corys. Not enough room for them in the 29 gallon so I am not sure what to do about them. Guess I just have to hope they are getting some of the food.

I also discovered the Barbs picking at my big Mystery Snail!!!! I never even considered they would go after a snail. Might have to move him to the 29 gallon. I really don't want to because he does a fabulous job of cleaning the 46.

Something kind of funny I saw today...........I have one little German Blue Ram in the 46 gallon. He was chasing the much bigger male Rosy Barbs today! The GBR has claimed the rock cave area as his territory and gets all kinds of angry when the Barbs swim down there. His fins all flare out and he gets brilliantly colored and he takes off in chase after these fish that are 4 times his size! LOL! Of course the barbs hardly even notice him, but HE thinks he is ruling the roost. Kind of like a Chihuahua chasing a German Shepherd.
    5 gallon Quarantine tank

Read my journal here.

10. Default

0 Not allowed!
    One more funny tidbit........my male Sailfin Molly now thinks he is a Rosy Barb! LOL! He spends most of his time swimming amongst them when they are swimming together doing their group laps, as if he hopes they don't notice he is a bit different looking!
    5 gallon Quarantine tank

Read my journal here.